Resetting Winter Vario to Zero?

Old March 26th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Resetting Winter Vario to Zero?

I have a Winter variometer that works great except that at rest it
reads high (+1.5). While that makes me feel good in flight, I'd rather
zero the thing out. The question is how to do this.

I have been told two different ways to do this;

1) Find the zero adjustment - I removed the face plate but cannot find
the adjustment. Any ideas?

2) One person mentioned that over time the needle looses weight.
Because these devices are so sensitive the needle reads high. The idea
then is to add back the lost weight. This person recommended a small
dab of finger nail polish.

The last choice is to send it back to the factory which I would rather
avoid.

Thanks.

Old March 27th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think the nail polish idea has merit.

If you want to go with the mechanical adjustment, you will need to
remove the glass face and then unscrew the small plate covering the
base of the needle. Once this plate is removed, you will see a
serrated circular adjustment ring which you can rotate to adjust zero.
You need to be careful with this plate, as a small movement makes a
significant adjustment to zero.

Old March 27th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

ContestID67 wrote:
I have a Winter variometer that works great except that at rest it
reads high (+1.5). While that makes me feel good in flight, I'd rather
zero the thing out. The question is how to do this.

I have been told two different ways to do this;

1) Find the zero adjustment - I removed the face plate but cannot find
the adjustment. Any ideas?

2) One person mentioned that over time the needle looses weight.
Because these devices are so sensitive the needle reads high. The idea
then is to add back the lost weight. This person recommended a small
dab of finger nail polish.

The last choice is to send it back to the factory which I would rather
avoid.

Thanks.

Reply.
Use a SMALL dab of epoxy to rebalance. anything that dries changes
weight as it dries.
DO NOT turn zeroing plate.
Good luck UH

Old March 27th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I was given the following information via email.

"I have tried both methods of re-zeroing a winter vario. The
adjustment wheel's behind the little winter emblem...loosen the small
screw and it will rotate out of the way and you can get to it. But, it
is easy to bend things you should not bend. I prefer the small (very
small!!!) drop of clear fingernail polish. Get the brush almost dry
before you touch the needle. It doesn't take much. After it dries,
recheck the zero...as the evaporation of the solvent in the polish will
change the finished weight."

Old March 28th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Another piece of information via email.

"Adjustment screw is used to get spring balance to zero needle when
face is up. Then equal flow gives same reading up and down. They
actually have balance arms on opposite side of needle to balance, but
adjusting these usually leads to breaking the .003 diameter pivots.
Wanna guess how I know all this?"

Old March 28th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Found an old usenet thread on the same subject.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...205f0c 9e254a

Old March 28th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

To add some more details to this thread for historic purposes, I wanted
to let you know how I built a tool to remove the ring holding the glass
to the front.

I found some scrap aluminum that was as thin as the slot in the ring.
A steel ruler would work also but the aluminum is softer and less
likely to mar the face of the vario.

I sandwiched the thin aluminum between two pieces of pine board,
holding it together with small C clamps. Allow the aluminum to stick
out from between the boards by no more than 1mm (1/16"), or 1/2 the
depth of the slot. This combination gives some mass to the "tool" and
the wood won't mar the face of the vario.

Take the tool in one hand, the vario in the other (over something soft
just in case it drops), engage the slots, and turn the tool CCW.

Worked like a champ.

Old March 28th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Todd,

Which system did you like the best? Nail polish, epoxy or screw
adjustment?

I am opting for the nail polish approach right now as I think that I
can control the amount I am adding of the thin nail polish rather than
the thick epoxy. I assume that the weight of the epoxy doesn't vary as
it dries and thus it only takes once to get it right. The nail polish
on the other hand, being highly evaporative, changes weight and may
take a few goes to get the right amount after drying. I have time, I
can wait (no pun intended).

The screw adjustment method just plain scares me.

- John

Old March 29th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"ContestID67" wrote in news:1143413733.258492.60400
@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I have a Winter variometer that works great except that at rest it
reads high (+1.5). While that makes me feel good in flight, I'd rather
zero the thing out. The question is how to do this.

I have been told two different ways to do this;

1) Find the zero adjustment - I removed the face plate but cannot find
the adjustment. Any ideas?

2) One person mentioned that over time the needle looses weight.
Because these devices are so sensitive the needle reads high. The idea
then is to add back the lost weight. This person recommended a small
dab of finger nail polish.

The last choice is to send it back to the factory which I would rather
avoid.

Thanks.

Had this issue last summer - turned screw - easy - no problems.

--
Roger Kelly
to reply replace the IP address above with ceressenior.com

FS: Vario Winter "S" model [email protected] Soaring 1 December 20th 05 06:17 PM
Winter Vario [email protected] Soaring 2 August 17th 05 08:24 AM
Winter vario repair in the UK Ian Johnston Soaring 3 July 8th 05 09:21 AM
Winter Mech Vario Bezel Mike Hostage Soaring 2 March 29th 05 05:42 AM
[For Sale] Winter Vario Ludovic Launer Soaring 0 March 21st 05 08:40 AM