An Interview With Chuck Yeager

Old April 29th 07, 01:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

Default An Interview With Chuck Yeager

Steven,

This is my last reply.

My opinions are based on personal experience. As a child I lived on the
west coast in a community with a large Japanese population. I have seen the
injustice and its' effect on people I know and saw my school class mates
were herded of to internment camps. As an adult I have listened to their
stories. I believe them.

Wayne
CDR USN (Retired)

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

OK, let us change that comparison. What percentage of the Germans and
Italians interned were actual threats to the security of the war effort.
If that percentage is as low as the interned Japanese, I will concede
that it was not a mater of race.

I don't know, I imagine it's a rather low percentage.

All the west coast Japanese were interned, not just a segment of the
community. By the numbers you quoted earlier it is obvious that the
Government had a criteria for selecting specific Italians and specific
Germans for the camps. The criteria for the Japanese was simply being
Japanese.

What do you base that on?

I know the criteria for the Germans wasn't that broad, because none of my
family were interned nor was any other German family that we knew.

Is that the limit of your research? Why do you assume race was the only
issue? Could geography have been an issue? What percentage of
Japanese-Americans were concentrated in more defense sensitive areas like
the west coast versus less sensitive areas like Milwaukee? Could time or
history have been issues? German immigration began before the US
revolution, and Germans served in the Comntinental Army. Japanese
immigration to the US was more recent.

The paranoia and associated fear of the time is understandable; however,
after 60 years failing to recognize the injustice of our actions is
inexcusable.

But we have recognized the injustice done to Japanese-Americans. We
haven't recognized the injustice done to German-Americans. Most Americans
aren't even aware that US citizens of German descent were interned during
WWII. The fact that it was done in fewer numbers than with
Japanese-Americans makes it no less of an injustice to those that were
interned.

Old April 29th 07, 03:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

Steven,

This is my last reply.

My opinions are based on personal experience. As a child I lived on the
west coast in a community with a large Japanese population. I have seen
the injustice and its' effect on people I know and saw my school class
mates were herded of to internment camps. As an adult I have listened to
their stories. I believe them.

Wayne
CDR USN (Retired)

Right. Best not to let your position be influenced by additional
information or logic.

Old April 29th 07, 05:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

"Wayne Paul" wrote:

OK, let us change that comparison. What percentage of the Germans and
Italians interned were actual threats to the security of the war effort.
If
that percentage is as low as the interned Japanese, I will concede that it
was not a matter of race.

All the west coast Japanese were interned, not just a segment of the
community. By the numbers you quoted earlier it is obvious that the
Government had a criteria for selecting specific Italians and specific
Germans for the camps. The criteria for the Japanese was simply being
Japanese.

That's pretty much what the Supreme Court found in ex parte Mitsuye Endo:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bi...=323&invol=283

This was a 1944 decision which found the internment both inherently
racist and of dubious military necessity, and that the practice exceeded
the bounds of the executive order and other acts at question here.

The Korematsu v. United States decision (also 1944) decided that it
would be constitutional to intern US citizens on the basis of ancestry,
when there was a pressing public need, but the decision has been
called into question because

The Hawaiian experience during the war makes mass internment seem
even more useless. Of the 158,000 ethnic Japanese in the Hawaiian
Territory, only some 2,500 were interned, and only one man--someone named
Harada--had any involvement in aiding the Japanese. The remaining 155,000
or so never did anything to hinder the US war effort.

Digging up the numbers on whole populations versus internees took some
doing.
I found some information at the bottom of

http://www.ww2pacific.com/relocation.html

American residents of German birth: 1,237,000
Guesstimated Americans of German ancestry: about 52,000,000

Japanese nationals and Japanese-American citizens in the continental US:
126,749
Interned: 110,000.
"Willingly" relocated from the restricted area: 10,000.

The percentage of interned Germans and German-Americans wasn't even 1%.

For those of Japanese ancestry, internment was about 84%. Add in the people
who had to leave the West Coast and southern Arizona, and 95% of them
were affected.

To stay on-topic for ABPA, here's a picture of one of Ben
Kuroki's planes. I think it's the one from the Ploesti raid.

--Bill Thompson

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TUPELOLASS-Artwork.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	10928
Old April 29th 07, 10:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tori fan

Chuck I mean General Yeager is an asshole alright.

But then so am I.

Waldo.
Old April 30th 07, 09:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
redc1c4

Snidely wrote:

We were absolutely justified in locking up Japanese during the war, to
suggest otherwise is retarded. Unlike the so-called "wars" the US has
been in since then, WWII was a fight to the death. When up against a
capable and ruthless opponent that thinks of all others as sub-human,
there is no room for any PC bull****. Those that applauded that day
understand this.

Any Japanese (or anybody else) that are offended by this need to read
some history about how they (the Japanese) waged war at that time. Our
locking up a few people was absolutely harmless in every imaginable
respect in comparison. Don't believe it? Start reading. As good a place
to start as any is what is now called "the rape of Nanking".

442 RCT and the 100th INf Bn.

redc1c4,
going for broke..... %-)
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide
Old April 30th 07, 09:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
redc1c4

Jose wrote:

Look! A PC idiot! The truth always draws them out. Probably loses sleep
that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were nuked, too.

not too far from where i live, there is (for Lost Angels) an old cemetery.

said cemetery resides in what is now a Hispanic neighborhood, but if one
tours the area, the former synagogues are easy to pick out, despite the
new owners changes.

what is less known is the number of Japanese immigrants who lived there.

a quick trip through the small patch of ground in question will change
that......barring willful stupidity, of course.

on behalf of their sacrifices, all i can say is: cállate puto!

redc1c4,
you're not fit to cut the grass on their graves, cerote.

Old April 30th 07, 09:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
redc1c4

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

Steven,

This is my last reply.

My opinions are based on personal experience. As a child I lived on the
west coast in a community with a large Japanese population. I have seen
the injustice and its' effect on people I know and saw my school class
mates were herded of to internment camps. As an adult I have listened to
their stories. I believe them.

Wayne
CDR USN (Retired)

Right. Best not to let your position be influenced by additional
information or logic.

do you have any to offer regarding the issue under discussion?

redc1c4,
white smoke is neither, btw...... %-)

Old April 30th 07, 10:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll

"redc1c4" wrote in message

do you have any to offer regarding the issue under discussion?

What would you like?

Old April 30th 07, 11:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"redc1c4" wrote:

do you have any to offer regarding the issue under discussion?

What would you like?

How about the date on which the writ of habeas corpus was suspended
in regard to the internees? How about identifying the order which
allowed the War Relocation Authority to hold 110,000 people in
custody against their will?

--Bill Thompson

Old April 30th 07, 11:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll

"William R Thompson" wrote in message
link.net...

How about the date on which the writ of habeas corpus was suspended
in regard to the internees? How about identifying the order which
allowed the War Relocation Authority to hold 110,000 people in
custody against their will?

No idea. Have you tried Google?