More questions on VFR flight following.

Old January 3rd 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

Default More questions on VFR flight following.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Transit through active SUA tends to defeat the purpose of establishing
SUA. VFR aircraft can transit MOAs and MTRs but there is nothing to
arrange.

We've got a bunch of R areas here that the local approach control will
offer to arrange transit through if possible even when it is hot.
Margy even wrangled a transit through the coastal North Carolina
areas between Wilmington and Hatteras (although we worked out the
details on the ground before calling them up in the air when
we were coming through. We had to hold for about 2 minutes while
they safetied things so we could bring the Navions through.

That's swell, but safetying things so you can bring the Navions through
defeats the purpose of establishing the restricted areas.

Old January 3rd 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Tman wrote:
OK, if i call up approach when airborne and ask for VFR flight following,
they'll want to know where I'm going. If i'm following a semi-complex
route, on V airways and going from this VOR to that, perhaps turning at an
intersection to a different V airway, do they really want to know that? Or
do they just want the destination?

If you're not flying directly toward your destination, you'll frequently
get questions from each controller about your heading.

Here's the meat of what works for me:

Simple, but bent route:
"N9999X requests flight following to xxx via abc VOR"

Route following Victor airways:
"N9999X requests flight following to xxx via Victor airways" and let the
controller ask for more info, if wanted

I've had my route details requested only once or twice, and I don't get
the "N9999X, _where_ are you going?" as when I gave only the destination.

#2 When I go VFR into the NY Bravo, I have plans for both flying through
and avoiding it. I've never needed to avoid it yet, but they often
provide me with a specific route (ex:\\ direct Colts Neck VOR with no
altitude changes, while I'm over LI Sound)

In my experience, your initial call up to NY has a lot to do with your
clearance. If you sound like you know what you want and are
comfortable, and your airplane seems to be holding a steady course and
altitude, they're easy to deal with. Stumble, ramble, stutter, etc...
and you'll need plan B. I also find it easy if I'm already be on FF
with NY app before I get near the Bravo space.

The NY folks were even nice enough to solicit airliner PIREPS for me on
one occasion, to help me decide whether to climb over or go under a cloud.
Old January 3rd 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steven P. McNicoll writes:

That's swell, but safetying things so you can bring the Navions through
defeats the purpose of establishing the restricted areas.

That depends on why the areas are restricted.
Old January 3rd 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
news
Steven P. McNicoll writes:

That's swell, but safetying things so you can bring the Navions through
defeats the purpose of establishing the restricted areas.

That depends on why the areas are restricted.

Nope

Bertie
Old January 3rd 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Tman writes:

OK, if i call up approach when airborne and ask for VFR flight following,
they'll want to know where I'm going.

Why?

Could this imply that MFS doesn't accurately simulate VFR flight?

What a surprise.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 3rd 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Transit through active SUA tends to defeat the purpose of establishing
SUA. VFR aircraft can transit MOAs and MTRs but there is nothing to
arrange.

We've got a bunch of R areas here that the local approach control will
offer to arrange transit through if possible even when it is hot.
Margy even wrangled a transit through the coastal North Carolina
areas between Wilmington and Hatteras (although we worked out the
details on the ground before calling them up in the air when
we were coming through. We had to hold for about 2 minutes while
they safetied things so we could bring the Navions through.

That's swell, but safetying things so you can bring the Navions through
defeats the purpose of establishing the restricted areas.

Depends on what "safetying things" means.

If it means something like establishing that the artillery battery that
was using the area took a break for lunch, so you can go through RIGHT NOW,
what's the big deal?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 3rd 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Ron Lee wrote:
I provide the destination and sometimes intermediate non-direct
waypoints if a lot different.

You can always ask to go through Class B but don't count on it.
Be sure to hear the phrase "Cleared to enter Class B" or equivalent.

Ron Lee

All the times that I have used FF is just give a destination. Sometimes
ATC will come back and ask me to repeat the destination. I assume that
it is because I am not headed directly there. I tell them that I will be
flying such and such.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old January 3rd 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

Could this imply that MFS doesn't accurately simulate VFR flight?

I use VATSIM for flight following, not MSFS.
Old January 3rd 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

writes:

Could this imply that MFS doesn't accurately simulate VFR flight?

I use VATSIM for flight following, not MSFS.

Wrong

You don't fly.

Bertie

Flight Questions Jed Piloting 32 September 15th 07 03:12 PM
flight level questions [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 14th 06 09:13 PM
Yesterday's IFR flight with questions A Lieberman Instrument Flight Rules 30 November 23rd 05 10:31 PM
Nice Surprize During Pre Flight, And A Few Odd Questions MRQB Owning 12 March 24th 04 11:26 PM
IFR flight in MSFS '98 questions Sydney Hoeltzli Simulators 9 July 31st 03 12:05 AM