More questions on VFR flight following.

Old January 4th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

Default More questions on VFR flight following.

Ron Lee wrote:
Ross wrote:

All the times that I have used FF is just give a destination. Sometimes
ATC will come back and ask me to repeat the destination. I assume that
it is because I am not headed directly there. I tell them that I will be
flying such and such.

Or perhaps they do not know the airport identifier/location. I will
often use Colorado Springs as my destination instead of the smaller
Meadow Lake. You can't expect ATC to know every airport code in the
US.

Even if they know it or or you provide it to them, I've found that ATC
sometimes can't work with a destination when entering the request in
their systems. I've been told that the systems just don't have all
domestic airports in them. For instance, every time I've requested
flight following to PJY from Minnesota for the annual Pinckneyville
fly-in I get asked to name a nearby airport instead. Now I just tell
them Marion or Carbondale.
Old January 4th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Mazor[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
John Mazor writes:

The voices in his head must do a good job of simulating radio traffic.

No voices in the head are required. The traffic is provided by other pilots
and controllers on the network.

So they go away while you're on a sim? That would explain why you spend so much time on
it - kind of like the old joke about the guy who hits himself on the head with a hammer
because it feels so-o-o good when he stops.

Old January 4th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Rich Ahrens wrote:
Ron Lee wrote:
Ross wrote:

[...]

I've found that for small, GA airports ATC out of that area seldom
knows about it and it is much simpler to give them the name of at
least a class D, and sometimes class C, near to where you are going.

Once you are in the area you can tell them the true destination.

Example: I've found that no ATC outside of SoCal seems to know where
Cable (KCCB) is, though I guess they could look it up, but why bother?

I just tell them I'm going to Ontario (KONT) and they all know where
that is.

Why complicate things when I know I will get handed off to Ontario
tower anyway as I go through their airspace and Ontario tower is well
aware of where Cable is.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 4th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Rich Ahrens wrote:
Or perhaps they do not know the airport identifier/location. I will
often use Colorado Springs as my destination instead of the smaller
Meadow Lake. You can't expect ATC to know every airport code in the
US.

Even if they know it or or you provide it to them, I've found that ATC
sometimes can't work with a destination when entering the request in
their systems. I've been told that the systems just don't have all
domestic airports in them. For instance, every time I've requested
flight following to PJY from Minnesota for the annual Pinckneyville
fly-in I get asked to name a nearby airport instead. Now I just tell
them Marion or Carbondale.

I have had the same experience Rich. Once I was asked what other
airports were nearby and I had to look at the chart to find something
since it was an area new to me.

Old January 5th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

John Mazor writes:

So they go away while you're on a sim?

What does?

That would explain why you spend so much time on it - kind of like
the old joke about the guy who hits himself on the head with a hammer
because it feels so-o-o good when he stops.

I spend a lot of time on simulation because I like to fly.
Old January 5th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Mazor[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
John Mazor writes:

So they go away while you're on a sim?

What does?

Oh, dear. Looks like we need to add ADD to your list of ailments.

That would explain why you spend so much time on it - kind of like
the old joke about the guy who hits himself on the head with a hammer
because it feels so-o-o good when he stops.

I spend a lot of time on simulation because I like to fly.

At the risk of encroaching on Bertie's schtick - that ain't flying, fjuckwit.

Old January 5th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

John Mazor writes:

At the risk of encroaching on Bertie's schtick - that ain't flying, fjuckwit.

That is a matter of opinion, and viewpoint.
Old January 5th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Mazor[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
John Mazor writes:

At the risk of encroaching on Bertie's schtick - that ain't flying, fjuckwit.

That is a matter of opinion, and viewpoint.

No matter how much you tout the value of opinion, to the point of claiming that "my
opinion is irrefutable because it's an opinion," opinion isn't fact. It's a fact that
simming isn't flying.

Or did you mean to say that you can't tell the difference? Oh, dear. Things must be even
worse than we thought in the Atkielski garret.

Old January 5th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
John Mazor writes:

At the risk of encroaching on Bertie's schtick - that ain't flying, fjuckwit.

That is a matter of opinion, and viewpoint.

No, it is a matter of dictionary definition for rational people.

Flying

noun

1. an instance of traveling by air

verb

1. travel through the air; be airborne

2. move quickly or suddenly

3. fly a plane

4. transport by aeroplane

5. cause to fly or float

6. travel in an airplane

7. display in th eair or cause to float

8. flee, run away

9. travel over in an aircraft

adj

1. capable of or engaged in flight

2. moving swiftly

3. aflare, flaring, fluttering

Simulation

noun

1. a theoretical account based on a similarity between the model and the
phenomena that are to be explained

2. a representation of something

3. pretense, pretending

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 5th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On 5 Jan, 00:46, Mxsmanic wrote:
John Mazor writes:
So they go away while you're on a sim?

What does?

That would explain why you spend so much time on it - kind of like
the old joke about the guy who hits himself on the head with a hammer
because it feels so-o-o good when he stops.

I spend a lot of time on simulation because I like to fly.

No, you spend a lot of time in front of a computer because you're a
jerkoff.

Bertie

Flight Questions Jed Piloting 32 September 15th 07 03:12 PM
flight level questions [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 14th 06 09:13 PM
Yesterday's IFR flight with questions A Lieberman Instrument Flight Rules 30 November 23rd 05 10:31 PM
Nice Surprize During Pre Flight, And A Few Odd Questions MRQB Owning 12 March 24th 04 11:26 PM
IFR flight in MSFS '98 questions Sydney Hoeltzli Simulators 9 July 31st 03 12:05 AM