Q: C-152 spin characteristics

Old January 24th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

Default Q: C-152 spin characteristics

Getting ready to do spins for CFI training, which means not only do I get to
perform them, I have to delivery a ground lesson on them first as well, so
I'm gathering all the data I can find.

Information I have says that in a developed spin most light airplanes make a
complete turn and lose 500' about every 3 seconds.

Does anybody have information to the contrary? I haven't done spins since
1990 so I don't remember the numbers exactly.

Thanks!

-Chris

Old January 24th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_22_]

"gatt" wrote in
:

Getting ready to do spins for CFI training, which means not only do I
get to perform them, I have to delivery a ground lesson on them first
as well, so I'm gathering all the data I can find.

Information I have says that in a developed spin most light airplanes
make a complete turn and lose 500' about every 3 seconds.

Well, that would be a vertical speed of about 100 knots and I would think a
vertical speed of less than fifty in a 150 would be more likey.

Bertie
Old January 24th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Barry

Default C-152 spin characteristics

Getting ready to do spins for CFI training, which means not only do I get to
perform them, I have to delivery a ground lesson on them first as well, so
I'm gathering all the data I can find.

Information I have says that in a developed spin most light airplanes make a
complete turn and lose 500' about every 3 seconds.

Does anybody have information to the contrary? I haven't done spins since
1990 so I don't remember the numbers exactly.

Check the POH for the plane you're using. My POH for a 1980 C152 suggests
allowing 1000 feet for one turn, 2000 feet for six turns, and planning to
recover above 4000 AGL. For other planes that are not certified for spins, I
agree with Jim that you shouldn't emphasize specific spin characteristics.

I think a great resource for spin instruction is the "Understanding Spins"
video made by Barry Schiff for the "Wonderful World of Flying" series. I show
this to student pilots and CFI candidates before doing spin avoidance or spin
lessons. I bought it a long time ago from Sporty's in VHS as "Volume 1" of
the "Proficient Flying" series, but it looks like now only the full set of 3
DVDs is available:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....ID=7313&DID=19

Barry

Old January 24th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.student, rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jan 25, 5:17 am, "gatt" wrote:
Getting ready to do spins for CFI training, which means not only do I get to
perform them, I have to delivery a ground lesson on them first as well, so
I'm gathering all the data I can find.

Information I have says that in a developed spin most light airplanes make a
complete turn and lose 500' about every 3 seconds.

Does anybody have information to the contrary? I haven't done spins since
1990 so I don't remember the numbers exactly.

Set up a simple stall at, say, 3000 AGL and time the descent to 2000
AGl.
Should give you an idea as to the numbers

Old January 25th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"John Smith" wrote in message

Does anybody have information to the contrary? I haven't done spins since
1990 so I don't remember the numbers exactly.

From the SPORTYS catalog...
Basic Aerobatic Manual [Paperback]
Part #: Q00161
Author: William K Kershner
Pages: 100

Cool. I have his flight instructor's manual based on recommendations here.
It's a reference in my lesson plan along with the Jeppeson Commercial book.
Just wondering if other people have other experience; for example, some
people say at C-152 will unstall itself into a steep spiral descent.

Turns out you can search for "Cessna spin" in YouTube.com and see all kinds
of great videos of people spinning 'em.
One of 'em just shows the instrument panel so you can see when the spin
develops (airspeed drops to zero) and see how much altitude is lost per
second. Can also see the airspeed start to increase dramatically as the
stall is broken.

Cool! There's even chase-plane video of Cessnas doing spins. Some of
those guys are starting at 5,000 feet indicated or lower, which seems
insane. I'd think you'd want to start at 8,000 or 9,000 just for safety in
case things don't go as planned. (cockpit object falls under the rudder
pedal or something)

-c

Old January 25th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

gatt wrote:

Some of
those guys are starting at 5,000 feet indicated or lower, which seems
insane. I'd think you'd want to start at 8,000 or 9,000 just for safety in
case things don't go as planned. (cockpit object falls under the rudder
pedal or something)

You might as well start thinking like a GOOD instructor right now :-)

There should be NO "cockpit object" in the airplane with you in an
aircraft you have prepared properly for giving dual in spins,ready to
"fall under the rudder pedal or something".

This of course is the right answer :-)) Altitude on the other hand, is
also the right answer.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 25th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.student, rec.aviation.piloting

Cool! *There's even chase-plane video of Cessnas doing spins. * *Some of
those guys are starting at 5,000 feet indicated or lower, which seems
insane. *I'd think you'd want to start at 8,000 or 9,000 just for safety in
case things don't go as planned. (cockpit object falls under the rudder
pedal or something)

-c

I wouldn't argue with 8 or 9 but 4500 to 5000 is okay for 1 spin in a
152 -- however I've only done 2 with my instructor.

The 152 AIM says 1000 feet for 1 spin entry to recovery.

However, "On the other hand, a 21-turn spin in the C-150 Aerobat took
4100 ft" (==195 ft per turn average).

Here is my primary instructor and her buddy doing a 52.5 turn spin in
a A152. They count off the altitude and the spins. You can see the
altimeter unwinding, and it's about 195 feet per turn, as Kershner
says in his Aerobatics book. You can almost make out the airspeed in
some frames which looks like it might be 40 or 50:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsX2yGJ2Tn4

Author: William K Kershner
Pages: 100

[...]

Well, that can happen and has happened to a lot of people. But if you go
up to 9 grand two up in a 150 you got another emergency anyway, cause
you're out of gas!
I'd be happy enough at five with a floor of three

Bertie

Old January 25th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_22_]

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

gatt wrote:

Some of
those guys are starting at 5,000 feet indicated or lower, which seems
insane. I'd think you'd want to start at 8,000 or 9,000 just for
safety in case things don't go as planned. (cockpit object falls
under the rudder pedal or something)

You might as well start thinking like a GOOD instructor right now :-)

There should be NO "cockpit object" in the airplane with you in an
aircraft you have prepared properly for giving dual in spins,ready to
"fall under the rudder pedal or something".

This of course is the right answer :-)) Altitude on the other hand, is
also the right answer.

Surely not 9,000, though?

Bertie
Old January 25th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_22_]

Bob Moore wrote in
46.128:

I've also done the
"water-ski" trick with it on the Ohio river.

Did it as a pax once in a Cub. Scared the crap out of me!

Bertie