Coordinated turns without rudder, and autopilots

Old May 28th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Default Coordinated turns without rudder, and autopilots

Mxsmanic wrote
How do autopilots make coordinated turns even when they cannot control
the rudder?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An unwanted side-effect of aileron operation is adverse yaw — a yawing
moment in the opposite direction to the turn generated by the ailerons. In
other words, using the ailerons to roll an aircraft to the right would
produce a yawing motion to the left. It is caused by an increase in induced
drag due to the greater effective camber of the wing with a downward-
deflected aileron, and the opposite effect on the other wing. Modern
aileron systems have minimal adverse yaw, such that it is barely noticeable
in most turns. This may be accomplished by the use of differential
ailerons, which have been rigged such that the downgoing aileron deflects
less than the upward-moving one. Frise ailerons achieve the same effect by
protruding beneath the wing of an upward deflected aileron, increasing drag
on that side. Ailerons may also use a combination of these methods.

Bob Moore

Old May 29th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bob Moore writes:

An unwanted side-effect of aileron operation is adverse yaw — a yawing
moment in the opposite direction to the turn generated by the ailerons. In
other words, using the ailerons to roll an aircraft to the right would
produce a yawing motion to the left. It is caused by an increase in induced
drag due to the greater effective camber of the wing with a downward-
deflected aileron, and the opposite effect on the other wing. Modern
aileron systems have minimal adverse yaw, such that it is barely noticeable
in most turns. This may be accomplished by the use of differential
ailerons, which have been rigged such that the downgoing aileron deflects
less than the upward-moving one. Frise ailerons achieve the same effect by
protruding beneath the wing of an upward deflected aileron, increasing drag
on that side. Ailerons may also use a combination of these methods.

Except I do see adverse yaw in turns in my (simulated) Baron, so either the
simulation is in error, or the AP knows something about making coordinated
turns without rudder input that I do not.
Old May 29th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Bob Moore writes:

[...]

It's not a Baron, fjukktarfd, it;s a comnputer.

Bertie
Old May 29th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Mxsmanic wrote:

ignorant nonsense snipped

No, this is where you're comparing your simulator to
real life.

Again with the real doll scenario. They're not meant
to actually REPLACE a girlfriend. Oh, right, but you
have no interest in getting laid.

BTW, Anime doesn't count, either.

Old May 29th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Mxsmanic opined

Bob Moore writes:

[...]

Looks like you found a simulator error.

Load a 172, and try very slow flight without using the rudder. Use power, hold
altitude and keep slowing until you stall.

You should emd up in a spin.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2007!
Why wait for nature?

Old May 30th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Ash Wyllie writes:

Looks like you found a simulator error.

Load a 172, and try very slow flight without using the rudder. Use power, hold
altitude and keep slowing until you stall.

You should emd up in a spin.

Why would I do that? It has nothing to do with my question: How can
autopilots make coordinated turns without control of the rudder?
Old May 30th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Ash Wyllie writes:

Looks like you found a simulator error.

Load a 172, and try very slow flight without using the rudder. Use power,
hold
altitude and keep slowing until you stall.

You should emd up in a spin.

Why would I do that? It has nothing to do with my question: How can
autopilots make coordinated turns without control of the rudder?

They don't moron, and you have been told. It's just not necessary. Sorry
your sim can't duplicate it.

Old May 30th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Mxsmanic opined

Ash Wyllie writes:

Looks like you found a simulator error.

Load a 172, and try very slow flight without using the rudder. Use power,
hold altitude and keep slowing until you stall.

You should emd up in a spin.

Why would I do that? It has nothing to do with my question: How can
autopilots make coordinated turns without control of the rudder?

1) To test the simulator.

2) Newer light aircraft are designed so that at cruise speed and small aileron
deflections rudder input is not needed.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2007!
Why wait for nature?

Old May 30th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Ash Wyllie writes:

Looks like you found a simulator error.

Load a 172, and try very slow flight without using the rudder. Use
power, hold altitude and keep slowing until you stall.

You should emd up in a spin.

Why would I do that? It has nothing to do with my question: How can
autopilots make coordinated turns without control of the rudder?

it has everythign to do wiht your question, fjukktard.

Bertie
Old May 30th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Except I do see adverse yaw in turns in my (simulated) Baron, so either
the
simulation is in error, or the AP knows something about making coordinated
turns without rudder input that I do not.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up. Either your simulation is in error, or you
havn't mastered the basics yet.

Mystery solved.

--
Geoff