Seeking advice- checkride tips

Old December 27th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven Barnes

Default Seeking advice- checkride tips

If you have a flight sim on your PC, use it. Right before I took my CFII
ride, I practiced a DME arc at the airport where the examiner was. Botched
it horribly. Tried again later & got it. A few days later on my checkride, I
had to "teach" the examiner that same arc (although it was around the other
side).

That bit of practice probably saved me from a re-test.

I agree with other people's comments. An examiner actually *hopes* for a few
small mistakes to see how you correct for them.

"Terence Wilson" wrote in message
I'm scheduled for the instrument check-ride in a couple of weeks. I
feel like I can perform within the PTS, but I'm a little" rough around
the edges" and prone to at least one stupid screw-up per flight, most
of the time I catch the screw-ups myself and fix them in a reasonable
time.

That said, I was wondering whether the experienced contributers here
might offer some advice for the day of my check-ride. My main concern
is that I might be so nervous that I bungle the easy stuff.

Best,

Terence

Old December 27th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Consider using tinyurl.com for links like that por favor.

Ron Lee

First timer here with tinyURL, hopefully will work :-)

http://tinyurl.com/3bh23p

Allen
Flying videos at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=BeechSundowner

Old December 27th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Hilton

Terence,

This is a general comment and not aimed specifically at you, but... It
amazes me, in terms of human psychology, that pilots fear more for a
checkride than for a real IFR flight. The worst that happens in a checkride
is a pink slip followed by a white slip the following week. But on a real
IFR flight, well that's like playing a video game with one quarter.

The NTSB files are littered with accidents with just one stupid screw up.
If a pilot is making (at least) "one stupid screw-up" per flight, it is
advisable (IMHO) for that pilot to question his/her safety level on a real
IFR flight. GA pilots about to go for the checkride are probably at their
most proficient point of their lives, although obviously not the most
experienced. If a pilot is making a "stupid screw-up" at this point then
what is going to happen when the destination goes below minimums, the winds
aloft pick up and the fuel level starts getting low, passengers start feel
sick, one or more instruments fail... you get the idea.

Don't sweat the checkride, sweat real-life. If you're ready to embark on an
IFR flight safely, then the checkride is no sweat. If not, call your CFI
and smoothen out those edges until you are - this is a continual process,
not just a pre-checkride thing.

OK, enough preaching, fly well on the checkride and verbalize as you do
things (if it helps) and talk through mistakes you make. The odds are that
the DE sees them before they happen.

Hilton

Old December 27th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Terence Wilson

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:55:32 -0800, "Hilton"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Hilton. Regarding the "stupid screw-up" comment I made, I had
thought the context would have made it evident that by "stupid" I
didn't mean dangerous or life-threatening, rather stupid in the sense
that it could get me a pink-slip. For example, calling ground before
receiving the ATIS or twisting the OBS before starting the turn or
using a parallel entry when it should have been a teardrop. My CFII is
a very well respected 5500 hour ATP, a little more expensive than the
rest, but well worth it. I don't consider myself to be a very good
student, but he keeps saying I'm ready for the checkride, so go
figure!

And trust me, I do sweat real-life. Everytime time I fly, checkride or
not, I think about everything that could go wrong.
Old December 27th 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Hilton

Terence Wilson wrote:
Thanks Hilton. Regarding the "stupid screw-up" comment I made, I had
thought the context would have made it evident that by "stupid" I
didn't mean dangerous or life-threatening, rather stupid in the sense
that it could get me a pink-slip. For example, calling ground before
receiving the ATIS or twisting the OBS before starting the turn or
using a parallel entry when it should have been a teardrop.

....and none of these would get you busted - not even close. I wouldn't even
clasify these as mistakes let alone "stupid mistakes". The PTS does not
specify the hold entry. I teach the student to do the most logical one
without putzing with wierd finger positions and gadgets.

My CFII is
a very well respected 5500 hour ATP, a little more expensive than the
rest, but well worth it. I don't consider myself to be a very good
student, but he keeps saying I'm ready for the checkride, so go
figure!

If your only mistakes are the ones you've mentioned above, looks like you
chose you CFI wisely and he did a good job.

And trust me, I do sweat real-life. Everytime time I fly, checkride or
not, I think about everything that could go wrong.

OK, but also remember to have fun!

Oh, while I'm on my "safety before white slip" preaching, you gonna ask the
DE to do clearing turns before your various maneuvers under the hood? It's
your ass up there. If my DE said "No, don't worry about them.", as PIC I'd
insist we do them. Just because the DE says you don't need them doesn't
negate the laws of physics. There is a caveat. If you've just done various
turns, he might have (probably) used those for clearing turns, so you're
good to go, but make sure that clearing turns have been done.

Hilton

Old December 27th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
S Green

"Terence Wilson" wrote in message
I'm scheduled for the instrument check-ride in a couple of weeks. I
feel like I can perform within the PTS, but I'm a little" rough around
the edges" and prone to at least one stupid screw-up per flight, most
of the time I catch the screw-ups myself and fix them in a reasonable
time.

That said, I was wondering whether the experienced contributers here
might offer some advice for the day of my check-ride. My main concern
is that I might be so nervous that I bungle the easy stuff.

Best,

Terence

Terence,

My advice is more about physiology than the flying bit. You would not be
going for the checkride if your instructor thought it was going to be a bust
so don't worry about it too much.

Do make sure your energy levels are right and that you have plenty of
fluids.

The temptation is to let your nerves starve you before the event. The brain
and the muscles needs energy to function for the period you are with the
examiner so make sure you have a good breakfast or lunch before the test
starts and perhaps have a banana or energy bar before you go and do the
flying.

If there is the chance of a catnap before the DPE turns up take one too but
no more than 15 minutes.

As a final point, I always talk to myself during the test. If I screw up and
then pick it up then the DPE knows (positive) and if I screw up and don't
pick it up, then the DPE knows (negative) and could pick it up too
especially if it is a safety critical matter.

Ok it might mean having to redo the checkride but hey - you are both safe.
If you cannot be honest with yourself, then the cockpit in IFR is not the
place to be.

Old December 27th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

Don't worry about being perceived as too chatty. Smart instrument pilots act
as their own co-pilot, making callouts and briefing approaches. You can do
something dumb in silence and never notice it, but for some reason saying it
out loud rings alarm bells.

Bob Gardner

"Terence Wilson" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:12:58 -0800, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Ex-examiner here.....

Talk. Let the examiner know what your thought processes are. If you catch
things going awry, tell the examiner what is happening and how you are
correcting. The real deal-killer is when the examiner doesn't realize that
you are aware of an error because you think that s/he won't notice it.
Good
luck!!

Bob Gardner

Bob, thanks for the tip. Do you recommend talking my way through the
check-ride, for example, when I'm executing the 5 T's or 5 A's should
I say what I am doing or would that be too chatty?

Old December 28th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roger (K8RI)

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:14:07 -0800, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Don't worry about being perceived as too chatty. Smart instrument pilots act
as their own co-pilot, making callouts and briefing approaches. You can do
something dumb in silence and never notice it, but for some reason saying it
out loud rings alarm bells.

I explained to the DE that I normally talk to myself and call out
things as I do them, as "Oops, watch the altitude, getting a little
high, The wind has me paralleling the airway about a half mile to the
left, about 15 degrees (or what ever I think is right) should get me
onto centerline where I'll resume this heading. The last one
happened and he said, that's good enough, you know where we are,
what's happening and why, lets go do something else.

Coming up to the VOR (the hold was at the VOR) with a strong 90 degree
cross wind we were just a bit left of course, I explained we were
coming up on the VOR and this close I wasn't going to bother with a
correction as it would just have me turning early. I'd make the
allowance outbound and see how the next inbound went. I made lots of
mistakes but I called out each one as I recognized it and what I was
going to do to correct. He was happy.

Roger (K8RI)

Bob Gardner

.. .

Old December 28th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Dec 26, 12:44*pm, Terence Wilson wrote:
I'm scheduled for the instrument check-ride in a couple of weeks. I
feel like I can perform within the PTS, but I'm a little" rough around
the edges" and prone to at least one stupid screw-up per flight, most
of the time I catch the screw-ups myself and fix them in a reasonable
time.

That said, I was wondering whether the experienced contributers here
might offer some advice for the day of my check-ride. My main concern
is that I might be so nervous that I bungle the easy stuff.

Most of us make the last flight with the CFII so hard that you'll
believe the checkride was easy!
-Robert, CFII
Old December 29th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
dlevy

I agree.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

The best advice is to simply catch and correct the screw-ups in a timely
manner. That will cut it with most DEs assuming the screw-ups don't make
is such that "the outcome of the maneuver or flight" is in question. Few
of us fly perfect flights. The key is to keep the mistakes few and minor
and correct them promptly.

It doesn't take a perfect flight to pass a check ride. It does take
decent flying skill and sound judgment. For example, if you both an
approach such that you aren't stabilized sufficiently for landing, go
around! Trying to salvage a good landing from a bad approach typically
isn't wise and likely will lose points on the judgment front.

Matt

Midland: Seeking Advice [email protected] Piloting 8 September 29th 04 01:44 PM
Student Seeking XC Advice Jay Beckman Piloting 5 August 13th 04 03:52 AM
Newbie seeking advice . Soaring 35 June 17th 04 12:45 PM
Seeking Route Advice - OH -> SD -> MT -> BC Darrell Clay Piloting 0 January 28th 04 01:20 AM
Newbie seeking glider purchase advice Ted Wagner Soaring 19 January 2nd 04 07:00 PM