OK someone help me

Old September 8th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

Default OK someone help me

At 14:19 08 September 2009, vontresc wrote:
On Sep 8, 8:56=A0am, brianDG303 wrote:
On Sep 8, 6:07=A0am, jcarlyle wrote:

When I used a Cambridge 25, I also had an iPAQ 3950 running Glide
Navigator II. At the end of the flight GNII would save the log file

in
both .cai and .igc form onto the SD card, which I took home. SeeYou
did its magic and uploaded to OLC. Quick, easy, and almost fool-
proof.

-John

Steve Leonard wrote:
At 05:59 08 September 2009, Greg Arnold wrote:
You can also open the CAI file in SeeYou, save it in Seeyou as

an
I=
GC
file, then upload that IGC file to OLC.

That would be assuming you have bought SeeYou. =A0Not too likely

with=
borrowed logger! =A0But, yes, that will also work.

Brad, not sure, but I kind of doubt it. =A0You might look at your

gar=
min
file and see if it looks like the same format for the data as a

cai
=
file.
=A0If it does, try saving it with a .cai file extension, and try

the
=
program.
=A0You don't have anything to lose but a few minutes of time and

fe=
w "k"
of memory on the old machine!

And for what it is worth relative to SeeYou, etc, I am talking to

my
loggers with an old TI Extensa running Windows 98, and talking

with
i=
through a REAL serial port. =A0No USB hub there! =A0But to get any

fu=
rther, I
have to save it to a floppy, the use my USB floppy drive on a

newer
computer to read the file, convert it, and upload. =A0All my

tlaking
=
to the
logger is done with the old Cambridge DOS program, as is initial

view=
ing.
Later viewing is done using the upgraded AeroExplorer II.

Still Old School for sure,

Steve- Hide quoted text -

It might be possible to use SeeYou without buying it. Andej doesn't
disable many features in his trial versions of SY and SYM, I flew 15
flights on the trial version of SYM before buying it.

Brian- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I did this, too. Actually that was a great selling tool since I
bought a license when my trial expired :-)

Pete

Trial (Free, unlicenced) SeeYou runs for two weeks with full
functionality, after that bits begin to stop working, but I believe the
downloader will keep on working forever. For Cambridge 20/25 it works
better with a USB-Serial converter (it's a timing thing apparently)

There are plenty of free programs which will do your Cambridge 10/20/25
download and conversion, including Cambridge utility and Cambridge Aero
Explorer (both available freely from the Cambridge Instruments' website),
there are also the old Dos download and validate programs if you've got
really ancient hardware to run it on!

Cambridge Aero Explorer:
http://www.cambridge-aero.com/CA_exp...tm#pc_software
Cambridge Utility:
http://www.cambridge-aero.com/execut...tilInstall.zip
Dos programs:
http://www.fai.org/gliding/gnss/freeware.asp

For most everything except Cambridge, you can use the IGC Shell program
and appropriate dll
http://www.fai.org/gliding/gnss/freeware.asp

Old September 8th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Steve Leonard wrote:
At 05:59 08 September 2009, Greg Arnold wrote:
You can also open the CAI file in SeeYou, save it in Seeyou as an IGC
file, then upload that IGC file to OLC.

That would be assuming you have bought SeeYou. *Not too likely with a
borrowed logger! *But, yes, that will also work.

Brad, not sure, but I kind of doubt it. *You might look at your garmin
file and see if it looks like the same format for the data as a .cai file.
*If it does, try saving it with a .cai file extension, and try the program.
*You don't have anything to lose but a few minutes of time and a few "k"
of memory on the old machine!

And for what it is worth relative to SeeYou, etc, I am talking to my
loggers with an old TI Extensa running Windows 98, and talking with it
through a REAL serial port. *No USB hub there! *But to get any further, I
have to save it to a floppy, the use my USB floppy drive on a newer
computer to read the file, convert it, and upload. *All my tlaking to the
logger is done with the old Cambridge DOS program, as is initial viewing.
Later viewing is done using the upgraded AeroExplorer II.

Still Old School for sure,

Steve- Hide quoted text -

It might be possible to use SeeYou without buying it. Andej doesn't
disable many features in his trial versions of SY and SYM, I flew 15
flights on the trial version of SYM before buying it.

Brian

I do have a licensed copy of SeeYou for the PC. I got the key after I
realized that it really turns to cripple ware after the trial.

I open my XCsoar generated igc files to view at them in SeeYou before
I post to OLC.............should I do a save or a save-as from SeeYou
to validate the igc file?

Thanks,
Brad
Old September 8th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

File/Save As

Thanks,
Brad

Old September 8th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Edward

Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

XCSoar isn't on the OLC approved list
http://www2.onlinecontest.org/validate.php
so your file won't be valid.

If cai2igc4olc doesn't convert your Garmin gdb file, try this site:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/
Old September 8th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

I do use the gps babel program to convert gdb to igc, that still
results in invalid OLC posting

Brad
Old September 8th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

Brad- Hide quoted text -

GPS Babel generates an igc file, but will not generate the security
record.

Try G7ToWin http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7towin.htm

It downloads directly from your GPS, and should generate an OLC
valid .icg file

Peter
Old September 8th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_2_]

Brad wrote:
I do use the gps babel program to convert gdb to igc, that still
results in invalid OLC posting

Brad

I think the validation is to do with whether the logger is on the IGC
secure list or not. Your Garmin isn't, so can't produce a validated file
no matter what you do to it after download.

..igc is just the format - the validation comes from the security built
into the logger (or not, in the case of Garmin GPSs, XCSoar logs from
PDAs, etc).

You only need validation for badge and record claims, so far as I know.
Old September 8th 09, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 8, 1:41*pm, Chris Reed wrote:
Brad wrote:
I do use the gps babel program to convert gdb to igc, that still
results in invalid OLC posting

Brad

I think the validation is to do with whether the logger is on the IGC
secure list or not. Your Garmin isn't, so can't produce a validated file
no matter what you do to it after download.

.igc is just the format - the validation comes from the security built
into the logger (or not, in the case of Garmin GPSs, XCSoar logs from
PDAs, etc).

You only need validation for badge and record claims, so far as I know.

my files result in a "valid/green" score but the file won't rank my
flight. That's ok with me. At least the OLC accepts parts of the file
and it's fun to post them and see how I did for the day.

thanks,
Brad
Old September 9th 09, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

Brad wrote:
I do use the gps babel program to convert gdb to igc, that still
results in invalid OLC posting

Brad

I think the validation is to do with whether the logger is on the IGC
secure list or not. Your Garmin isn't, so can't produce a validated file
no matter what you do to it after download.

.igc is just the format - the validation comes from the security built
into the logger (or not, in the case of Garmin GPSs, XCSoar logs from
PDAs, etc).

You only need validation for badge and record claims, so far as I know.

my files result in a "valid/green" score but the file won't rank my
flight. That's ok with me. At least the OLC accepts parts of the file
and it's fun to post them and see how I did for the day.

thanks,
Brad

I would see this in my earlier OLC days (before flying with an
official
igc logger). I used a Garmin eTrex gps unit to feed my PDA. At the
end of the day I'd download the trace using g7towin and save the file
as an igc file. OLC happily accepted that file, except that I'd get a
purple circle instead of a green one, but I would get a valid score.
For my silver badge flight I had to land at my destination and get
a signature from a witness.

-- Matt
Old September 9th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Condon[_2_]

I got the cai2igc4olc program downloaded and figured out how to make it
work. im all sorts of Valid now! Thanks for the help folks.
-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y