OK someone help me

Old September 8th 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Condon[_2_]

Default OK someone help me

Ive got Steve's Cambridge here, model 25 I think, hooked to my laptop
through a serial port. and it is powered on. I think there is some
program I need to download to get the file off the GPS and convert it to
IGC for OLC posting. What/Where is it? Thanks!

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y
Old September 8th 09, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Condon[_2_]

At 04:15 08 September 2009, Tony Condon wrote:
Ive got Steve's Cambridge here, model 25 I think, hooked to my laptop
through a serial port. and it is powered on. I think there is some
program I need to download to get the file off the GPS and convert it to
IGC for OLC posting. What/Where is it? Thanks!

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

nevermind, figured it out.
-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y
Old September 8th 09, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

To get it to validate, you will need to run Carl Ekdahls conversion
program. Do a Google Search on "cai2igc4olc". Let this program make
your .igc file, and it will upload as a valid file for OLC.

All sorts of little de-coder rings you've got to have when you enter the
electronic age with old school electronics!

Steve
Old September 8th 09, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 7, 10:30*pm, Steve Leonard wrote:
To get it to validate, you will need to run Carl Ekdahls conversion
program. *Do a Google Search on "cai2igc4olc". *Let this program make
your .igc file, and it will upload as a valid file for OLC.

All sorts of little de-coder rings you've got to have when you enter the
electronic age with old school electronics!

Steve

Steve,

If I convert a garmin gdb file to and igc file using that Carl Ekdahls
conversion program, can I get rid of the V in the red circle? I log
using a Garmin map 60 and also XC-Soar, XC-Soar logs an igc file, it
gets scored but is never valid!

thanks,
Brad
Old September 8th 09, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Steve Leonard wrote:
To get it to validate, you will need to run Carl Ekdahls conversion
program. Do a Google Search on "cai2igc4olc". Let this program make
your .igc file, and it will upload as a valid file for OLC.

All sorts of little de-coder rings you've got to have when you enter the
electronic age with old school electronics!

Steve

You can also open the CAI file in SeeYou, save it in Seeyou as an IGC
file, then upload that IGC file to OLC.
Old September 8th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

At 05:59 08 September 2009, Greg Arnold wrote:
You can also open the CAI file in SeeYou, save it in Seeyou as an IGC

file, then upload that IGC file to OLC.

That would be assuming you have bought SeeYou. Not too likely with a
borrowed logger! But, yes, that will also work.

Brad, not sure, but I kind of doubt it. You might look at your garmin
file and see if it looks like the same format for the data as a .cai file.
If it does, try saving it with a .cai file extension, and try the program.
You don't have anything to lose but a few minutes of time and a few "k"
of memory on the old machine!

And for what it is worth relative to SeeYou, etc, I am talking to my
loggers with an old TI Extensa running Windows 98, and talking with it
through a REAL serial port. No USB hub there! But to get any further, I
have to save it to a floppy, the use my USB floppy drive on a newer
computer to read the file, convert it, and upload. All my tlaking to the
logger is done with the old Cambridge DOS program, as is initial viewing.
Later viewing is done using the upgraded AeroExplorer II.

Still Old School for sure,

Steve
Old September 8th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Sep 8, 12:45*am, Brad wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:30*pm, Steve Leonard wrote:

To get it to validate, you will need to run Carl Ekdahls conversion
program. *Do a Google Search on "cai2igc4olc". *Let this program make
your .igc file, and it will upload as a valid file for OLC.

All sorts of little de-coder rings you've got to have when you enter the
electronic age with old school electronics!

Steve

Steve,

If I convert a garmin gdb file to and igc file using that Carl Ekdahls
conversion program, can I get rid of the V in the red circle? I log
using a Garmin map 60 and also XC-Soar, XC-Soar logs an igc file, it
gets scored but is never valid!

thanks,
Brad

Brad, check out the list of approved software for the OLC here.

http://www2.onlinecontest.org/validate.php

The easiest solution would be to use SeeYou as it can download
directly from your Garmin IIRC, but you will need to buy the software.
If you are a frugal glider pilot like we all are you can use G7toWin,
which will download directly from your Garmin unit, and create an olc
valid .igc file.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7towin.htm

Peter
Old September 8th 09, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

When I used a Cambridge 25, I also had an iPAQ 3950 running Glide
Navigator II. At the end of the flight GNII would save the log file in
both .cai and .igc form onto the SD card, which I took home. SeeYou
did its magic and uploaded to OLC. Quick, easy, and almost fool-
proof.

-John

Old September 8th 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

It might be possible to use SeeYou without buying it. Andej doesn't
disable many features in his trial versions of SY and SYM, I flew 15
flights on the trial version of SYM before buying it.

Brian
Old September 8th 09, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

Brian- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I did this, too. Actually that was a great selling tool since I
bought a license when my trial expired :-)

Pete