Gatorade (only slightly OT)

Old June 3rd 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Gatorade (only slightly OT)

With summer, season of heat, dehydration and cramps, nearly here I have a
question:

Does anybody know where I can buy powdered Gatorade in the UK -
preferably lemon/lime flavour in 521g (18.4 oz) jars.

Failing that, does anybody have a recipe for an acceptable substitute?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old June 3rd 10, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Jun 3, 4:08*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
With summer, season of heat, dehydration and cramps, nearly here I have a
question:

Does anybody know where I can buy powdered Gatorade in the UK -
preferably lemon/lime flavour in 521g (18.4 oz) jars.

Failing that, does anybody have a recipe for an acceptable substitute?

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org * * * |

I did the powdered gatorade thing last weekend in my camelbak and
didnt really like it. maybe we got the mixture wrong or something but
gatorade and other sports drinks tend to leave me with a dry mouth, i
think it must be all the extra sugar they add. i've also tried lemon
juice and a bit of sugar added to my water before as i heard that was
a good electrolyte replacer. i think i will just stick with plain ole
water for now.
Old June 3rd 10, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_2_]

wrote:
With summer, season of heat, dehydration and cramps, nearly here I have a
question:

Does anybody know where I can buy powdered Gatorade in the UK -
preferably lemon/lime flavour in 521g (18.4 oz) jars.

Failing that, does anybody have a recipe for an acceptable substitute?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |

You could try a standard oral rehydration solution. The recipe I found
is from http://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm

Ingredients:

* one level teaspoon of salt
* eight level teaspoons of sugar
* one litre of clean drinking or boiled water and then cooled

Lemon juice is suggested as a flavouring.

This page is particularly recommended because it has a picture to
explain how you mix these together. I must admit that the idea of
putting them all in a jug and stirring had not previously occurred to me.

More sophisticated recipes from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy, though so far as
I can see these just add a few more minerals. It's gratifying to know
that this is the standard treatment for cholera, such a scourge
(literally) at airfields.

My feeling is that drinking this mixture throughout the flight might be
too much, but I'll mix up a batch and put some in a separate bottle,
keeping my camelbak for plain water, to stave off cramps.

Old June 3rd 10, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the URL's - I've recorded them for future experimentation.

Tony and Chris:

I agree about drinking the stuff in flight: for that I prefer to use
plain water, but I find that Gatorade or equivalent before a late launch
on a hot day or after the flight helps a lot. I'll use Lucozade if I
must, but I don't like it - too sweet, rather too strong a taste and I
don't much like the slightly fizzy taste of it.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old June 3rd 10, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 14:20:09 -0700, Tony wrote:

On Jun 3, 4:08Â*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
With summer, season of heat, dehydration and cramps, nearly here I have
a question:

Does anybody know where I can buy powdered Gatorade in the UK -
preferably lemon/lime flavour in 521g (18.4 oz) jars.

Failing that, does anybody have a recipe for an acceptable substitute?

--
martin@ Â* | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I did the powdered gatorade thing last weekend in my camelbak and didnt
really like it. maybe we got the mixture wrong or something but
gatorade and other sports drinks tend to leave me with a dry mouth, i
think it must be all the extra sugar they add. i've also tried lemon
juice and a bit of sugar added to my water before as i heard that was a
good electrolyte replacer. i think i will just stick with plain ole
water for now.

I haven't noticed the dry mouth, but I agree with you about orange
flavoured Gatorade - that's why I mentioned lemon/lime flavour.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old June 3rd 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Just found the WHO recipe:

1. Sodium Chloride 3.5 grams (90 meq/L Sodium)
2. Potassium Chloride 1.5 grams (20 meq/L Potassium)
3. Glucose 20 grams (2% Carbohydrate)
4. Sodium Bicarbonate 2.5 grams (30 meq/L bicarbonate)
1. Alternative: Trisodium Citrate 2.9 grams

This looks like less salt and sugar, but I can't translate grams to
teaspoons (anyone with accurate scales for this?)

HOT NEWS: Further Googling reveals that a level teaspoon of either salt
or sugar weighs about 8 grams. Thus the WHO recipe would be (approx):

1. 1/4 level teaspoon salt
2. 1/6 level teaspoon potassium chloride
3. 2.5 level teaspoons sugar
4. 1/3 level teaspoon sodium bicarbonate.

Combine 1 and to give 2/3 level teaspoon salt and it should be rather
more palatable than the first recipe.

According to a UNICEF document I found this lower concentration reduces
stool volume by 25%, which in an aircraft can only be a good thing!!
Old June 4th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I take a Camelbak full of water, and 1/2 liter of orange juice which
has 400 mg of potassium. I'm no expert but that works for me, I guess
I don't need the salt and I don't want the sugar.

Brian

Old June 4th 10, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I don't know if it's available on your side of the pond, but many
athletes are switching to an electrolyte replacement like "pedialyte"
which has less sugar than the sports drinks. http://pedialyte.com/products..aspx?section=1.

Craig
Old June 4th 10, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

I'm not a nutritionist, but a couple of things that I've learned from
studying this topic myself:

1) Straight-up sugar (sucrose) isn't what you're looking for, its
glucose that's more important.

2) Salt is a good thing; not necessarily a lot, but some. Sweat
contains a fair amount of salts, and the medical folks I've talked to
say that you should try to replace some of the lost salt to prevent
Hyponatremia (here's an article on the subject and endurance sports,
which seems appropriate for us: http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/salt.html)

3) As mentioned, Pedialyte is nice because its formulated for kids
with an eye towards avoiding excess sugar. IMHO, Gatorade's recent
reformulations have been aimed more at competing with soft-drinks than
as a way to improve the performance or bodily function of athletes.

I find that straight Gatorade (or other sports drinks) is too strong,
and can lead to nausea - especially if I start the flight already
hydrated. Instead, I use a ~30/70 to 50/50 mix of Water and Gatorade
or Pedialyte-type drink. I vary the concentration based on the
temperature an sunlight at my flying location (more of the Gatorade/
Pedialyte solution if I expect to sweat more or be exposed to longer
periods of intense sunshine). If I use something like Pedialyte that
is lower in carbs, I make sure to bring slightly more food along in
the cockpit. I prefer granola bars with fruit and nuts in them to
provide complex sugars, carbs, and protein; and I comparison-shop to
find the ones that are lower in sugar (hint: chewy/moist bars don't
often make the grade). I also like a handful of Almonds from time to
time (Blue Diamond Oven Roasted with Sea-Salt, or Emerald Nuts Cocoa
Roasted - they are are surprisingly healthy and not high in sugar).
Another reason I like nuts or the "drier" granola bars is because they
encourage me to drink some fluids to wash my mouth out afterwards
(drinking is all too easy to forget, especially when flying a
competition or trying to make a goal). I try to eat something roughly
every 2 - 3 hours, to keep my system on an even keel.

Enjoy,

--Noel

Old June 4th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 16:05:42 -0700, brianDG303 wrote:

wrote:
With summer, season of heat, dehydration and cramps, nearly here I
have a question:

Does anybody know where I can buy powdered Gatorade in the UK -
preferably lemon/lime flavour in 521g (18.4 oz) jars.

Failing that, does anybody have a recipe for an acceptable
substitute?

--
martin@ Â* | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org Â* Â* Â* |

You could try a standard oral rehydration solution. The recipe I found
is fromhttp://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm

Ingredients:

Â* Â* Â** one level teaspoon of salt
Â* Â* Â** eight level teaspoons of sugar
Â* Â* Â** one litre of clean drinking or boiled water and then cooled

[...]

I do need the salt: past experience says that. Much as I like the idea of
carrying water and some sort of juice (unsweetened grapefruit dies it for
me, but I can sense a number of mouths puckering at the mere thought) as
a Libelle driver I have space for a camelbak of water but that's it!

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Slightly OT, How do birds fly IMC? Ricky Piloting 37 June 2nd 08 02:20 PM
Slightly related Denny Piloting 1 August 23rd 07 08:05 PM
slightly OT - NASA ER-2 Skywise Piloting 23 April 25th 06 12:36 AM
For Sale - Slightly Used AK-450 ELT Paul Remde Soaring 1 March 18th 06 01:13 PM
slightly off topic Rick Pellicciotti Home Built 0 March 15th 04 02:10 AM