Naval Aviators

Old March 25th 04, 03:14 AM
jsmith

Default Naval Aviators

What's Your Call Sign?

Naval aviators often give up their given name for a contrived, loving or
humorous nickname.* My staff (me--with a little help from the Mech
guy...OK, Dan...a lot of help) has come up with a list of our top-ten
favorite call signs.* I hope you will enjoy the list and will take time
to submit your favorites.* Please send your inputs to
.* Please keep 'em clean, and check this site often
because we will change the list from time to time.

To read more about the history of call signs, click here for an excerpt
from "Fighter Country - The F-14 Tomcats of NAS Oceana" by LCdr. Dave
Parson (Ret.) and Derek Nelson.

Top-Ten Call Sign List
Guess the Call Sign
New Additions
International Contributions
Honorable Mentions (New)
Honorable Mentions (Archive)
Bonus Category

Our Top-Ten (in no particular order) Favorite Call Signs:

• Capt. Jerry "Pagan" Temple
• Capt. Walter "Numb" Scull
• Lt. Shane "Wasted" Tallant
• Lt. Pete "Rebel" Yelle
• LCdr.* Dan "Undra" Cheever
• LCdr. Tom "Goat" Huerter
• Ltjg. "Section" Kazarian
• Lt. Mark "Mutha" Hubbard
• LCdr. Steve "Whip" Blasch
• Cdr. Hal "Rooten" Tuten
• Ltjg. Mike "Koonter" Kinter

Guess the Call Sign (Click here to see the answers):

• Lt. Bill "__ ____" Selk
• Lt. Bill "______" Freckleton (A RIO who flew F-4B Phantoms with VF-111
off USS Coral Sea.* Got the call sign from the old Laugh In show.)
• LtCol. T.R. "_________" Longo (Rare double call sign:* T.R. stands for
"The Remarkable" and the other half is for you to guess. Think
locations.)

New Additions:

• Lt. "Fly" Svajda (pronounced "Swatta."* Randy "Sluggo" Compton of
VF-84 and 101 couldn't remember this guy's first name, but "Fly Swatta"
is hard to forget. If anyone has a first name on this guy, please pass
it along.)
• LCdr. John "Bart" Verniest (I got the call sign during outpost week at
AOCS.* Several candidate officers in charge of the class thought I
looked like Bart Simpson, so the name stuck.* At my first command, I
thought the name would fade, but it didn't.* I'm now "follicly
challenged," so it's not the same.)*
• LCdr. Steve "Semicolon" Koenig ("Semi" for short; now is a reservist
and civilian with SPAWAR. He had 25 inches of large intestine removed,
earning his call sign.)*
• ADCS(AW/NAC) Jim "Hotwire" O'Dell (P-3 flight engineer who earned his
call sign in Somalia after using a piece of wire to get an Orion's
engine to start.* We challenged him to tell us one time he used the same
trick when stuck in Singapore or Subic. We're still waiting.)
• Cdr. Al "Fatal" Krause (Checked into VF-154 as XO.* He was a large man
who had collected the call sign "Fat Al."* The skipper thought that name
was less than dignified for the XO of a squadron, so he was re-branded
with a contracted name.)
• Cdr. Dave "Digger" Wirt (An XO with a portfolio that included
ownership of at least one cemetery.)
• Lt. Shannon "Wally" Workman (The first female Prowler driver in this
particular squadron.* Her first call sign didn't pass PC screening, but
she didn't mind this one, and it stuck.)
• Lt. Linda "Floater" Heid (You wouldn't believe me if I told you.)

International Contributions: Not Updated - Feel Free to Write

• Ken "Sleaze" Bettam (Norway -- known to frequent the seedy part of any
town)
• Dave "Smurf" Knight (Norway -- his face always turns blue in the low
pressure/high-alt chamber)
• Carsten "Cables" Hagen (Norway -- once flew through some
powerlines...by accident)

Honorable Mentions (New):

• LCDR Dennis "Mancub" Monahan (37 years old but still gets carded in
Canada.)
• LTJG Trace "Turtle" Head (We told you it was clean...very clean)
• Cdr. Vincent "Vinny" Bowhers (too obvious)
• Lt. Adrian "Catfish" Jope (Still waiting on the origin of his name)
• Ltjg. Tim "TJ" Block (Renamed Flogger 2 after North Vietnamese
launched toward his EP-3, he popped a circuit breaker, so the name
stuck)
• LCdr. Mike "Meat" Tatsch (We're not touching this one)
• Lt. Alan "Milkbone" Malmquist (Call sign awarded after two weeks of
rabies shots resulting from dog bite on French Riviera.)
• Lt. Matt "Gucci" Thomas* (waiting on the answer)
• LCdr. Rob "Chachi" Polvino (looks like him)
• LCdr. Elton "Thumper" Parker (luckily wasn't John)

Honorable Mentions (Archives):

• Lt. Chris "_____" Banks (Not "Money" or "Ernie," I can't give the
answer)
• Lt. Sean "Beetle" Bailey
• Lt. Fran "Bug" Utley (now married to some guy named Cloe, but we still
call her "Bug")
• Lt. Rob "Custer" Fluck (I hope you're not reading too much into this
one)
• Lt. Josh "Taco" Potocko
• AWC Jim "Bucket" Hunnewell (as in empty the honey bucket)
• Lt. "Bawl" Walker
• Lt. Jason "Mr. Chubbs McPorkin" Fox (Chubbs for short & less than
lean)
• Capt. Ryan "Psycho" Ward
• Lt. Brian "Mush" Schrum
• Cdr. Jeff "Zoil" Penfield
• LCdr. Geoff "Strain" Gage
• Lt. Mike "Easy or Sleazy" Reiter
• LCdr. Scott "Intake" Kartvedt (Because his nose is more pronounced and
some could say he takes in more than his fair share of air)
• LCdr. Jim "Houdini" Wilson (I got locked into my own stateroom and
could not get out because the tumbler was installed backward. Most
people think it's because of something magical that I did in the
cockpit...I don't correct them)
• AE3(NAC) Travis "Trapper" Grogan (Caught a No. 3 wire with his left
foot and planted his face on USS Stennis -- OK 3 wire)
• Ltjg. Kyle "Sock" Matthew (Showed up at a dining out wearing only one
black sock because he left the other one at home)
• Ltjg. Doug "Cricket" White (So nervous on his first trap that he
clicks the mike to call the ball and forgets what to say...nothing but
silence--cricket sounds)
• Ltjg. Paul "Chunks" Chilcoat (A nugget P-3 Nav, had trouble keeping
down his box lunch during low-level ops.* He always carried around a
[clear] ziploc bag because it was reusable.)
• Lt. Nick "Ferret" Ferratella
• LCdr. Robert Hoar (Nickname for a quarter)
• Lt. Lee "Paps" Meare (Now USAF Maj.)
• Lt. Andy "CLANG" Carnell (CLueless Arrogant New Guy)
• LCdr. Ray "SAGE" Drake (Self-Appointed Guru of Everything)
• Lt.Col. "SLAW" Kelly (Shops Like A Woman)
• Lt. Rich "Shocka" Alderson
• LCdr. George "Stroker" Wikoff
• LCdr. Ned "Nasty" Hazlett
• Capt. (USMC) John "Carnie" Kirby (Came from carnivals having different
freaks that do crazy and weird stuff.* He fits that mold (John tells us)
and being one of the hairiest people most folks ever have seen makes the
name stick)
• Master Chief John "Zipper" Babcock (As an AQ1 [that rate dates him]
getting a flight in a TA-4J, his lower flight-suit zipper broke in front
of a female plane captain.* Upon return, the maintenance chief gave him
the name and it stuck)
• AW1(AW/NAC) Larry "Tatunka" Foster (Buffalo from the film Dances with
Wolves)
• AW1(AW/SW/NAC) Matt "JAFAW" Russ (Just A F*$%ing AW)*
• Ltjg. Tom "Jack Tower" Kuruc (While on a diet, he wants to eat
something light because he's on a diet and orders the "Jack Tower" at
TGI Fridays.* This three-tiered plate of fried fatty foods is topped off
by a light beer)
• Ltjg. Tom "Lurch" Lovett (Just like Lurch from the Adamms Family)
• Lt. Brian "Bluto" Rich (Looks exactly like Bluto from Animal House)
• LCdr. John "Waldo" Parsons (after Waldo Pepper because of his
no-exactly-regulation barnstormer's mustache)
• Ltjg. Dave "Crash" Finley (As a young EP-3 third pilot, when not
flying, would sit in back, open NATOPs, and would crash.* Also was
Burger (Burgermeister) for a short period and one season as
"Phased-Array," which was earned on the softball field after a wild
throw.* You could tell where he was facing but didn't know the ball's
direction)
• Lt. Melinda "Flossy" Swayne (Your guess is as good as ours)
• Lt. Anton Orr (It's not "Boat," and we can't give you the answer)
• LCdr. Kevin Laye (It's not "Frito," and the sensors ruled again)
• Lt. Blair "TUMO" England (The UnMentionable One. Later re-designated
"Heavy E" by the troops.)
• Lt. Ben "Doverin" Barett
• Lt. Steve "WIMBO" Barrett (Why Is My Box Out)
• LCdr. Tim "Gary" McGarvey (Ordered a nametag to say "Garv", but the
finished nametag said "Gary." He complained, so the call sign stuck)
• Cdr Bob "Werewolf" Wehrwein (Werewolf is as a play on Wehrwein, which
is pronounced "Where-wine." Later shortened to Wolf.)
• Lt. Steve "Mad Kow" DaczKOWski
• LCdr. Tom "Manual" Labor (Too obvious)
• Lt. Dave "Smooth Money" Selander (Caught ironing dollar bills in his
stateroom)
• Lt. Matt "T-Bone" Delabarre (While driving an RV to Tailhook, a car
tried to pass and....)
• Lt. Clint "TUSH" Smith (The S-3 has a tunnel, and nature called)
• Lt. Chris "Freedom, not Frenchy" Fuqua
• LCdr. George "Chum" Walborn (related or chums with WIMBO?)
• LCdr. Jon* "WUNA" Nielson - (World's Ugliest Naval Aviator)
• Lt. Jason "GULA" Young - (Grouchy Ugly Loud American)
• Cdr. Robert "Alphabet" Niemcyk
• Cdr. John "Skid" Roe
• Lt. Matt "Weed" Morris (He was 6'4" tall and 170 lbs.)
• Cdr. Tod "Lips" Squire (VAQ pilot who never stops talking)
• LCdr. Dave "Tuba" Britt (6'3" tall - big, ugly and very loud -
especially on liberty)
• LCdr. Stevin "Tiny" Johnson
• LCdr. Jim "JustJim" Ridgway (No call sign stuck, so "JJ" or "JustJim"
was given, and it stuck)
• LCdr. Scott "Scab" Craig (Was ordered to one squadron but diverted to
another one when a squadron pilot broke a leg.* He was a short-notice
replacement guy, so he got the call sign Scab)
• Lt.Col. Jon "Jungle" Cunningham (A long story)
• LCdr. Christopher "Cement" Schimenti (An obvious play on his last
name)
• Capt. Scott "Notso" Swift (part of the "Notso daily double)
• Lt.Col. Randy "Notso" Bright (the other "Notso" daily double)
• LCdr. Steve "Odie" Arvanitas (Odie because he was a naive nugget but
damn glad to meet you - it was changed to Arvdawg as a play on his last
name)
• Lt. Steve "ROTHman" Kenny (Roth for Red on the Head)
• LtCol. Mike "****er" Kenny (long distance)
• Cdr. Dave "IKE" Englehart (I Know Everything or IKEA - I Know
Everything Almost)
• LCdr. Bill "Slick" Stewart
• LCdr. Scott "Pugsley" Anderson (A look-alike)
• Lt. Nick "Nuts" Nunley ("No Nuts" after the operation)
• LCdr. Chuck "Chucker the Little #$!&@%" McElwee
• Lt. Pete "Plop Plop" LaChat
• LCdr. Nigel "Strangeways" Miller
• Capt. Dave "Anwar" Bryant (A Lt. in VF-161)
• Capt. Jamison "BooBoo" Yi (USMC - from Yogi and BooBoo Bear)
• Lt. Dennis "Towbar or Turtle" Lauer (Towbar because I am short, have a
big nose, and a skinny body - Turtle because I crawled up on a beach one
time and looked like a turtle coming out of the water - Vigi's forever)
• Lt. Bill "Boog or Boom" Powell (Boog after the baseball player, but
Boom after a high-speed takeoff in a Vigi from an USAF base in
Thailand).
• LCdr. Chris "Sticky" Dueweke
• Lt. Jeff "Hobag" Hoberg
• Lt. Tim "Tito" Jackson
• Lt. Stephen "U-Pup" Ures
• Lt. Lucas "Spicoli" Kadar
• LCdr. Donald "Biskit" Nisbett
• Lt. Bruce "Flounder" Hay
• Cdr. Russ "Gladys" Knight
• LCdr. Richard "Reddog" McCormack
• Lt. Zack "Beamer" Evans
• Capt. Bill "Tripod" Mooberry (retired NSC Deputy Commander)
• LCdr. Frank "Salami" Silebi
• Lt. Michael "Monty" Hall
• Capt. Todd "Kimo" Kalish, USAF
• Lt. Ray "Pancho" Barnes (bar owner in "The Right Stuff")
• Ltjg. Jay "Jesse" Owens
• Lt. Jon "Jo-Jo" Joseph
• LCdr. "Bull" Halsey Keats
• Lt. "Sour" Kraus
• Lt. "Combat" Bob Spath
• LCdr. Tom "Tuna" Davis
• Lt. David "Refund" Overcash
• LCdr. Shane "Rowdy" Yates
• Maj. R.C. "Casper" Meade (because on the boat, he's hard to find)
• LCdr. Todd "Mantress" Nunno (half-man, half-mattress)
• Ltjg. Patrick "Car Bomb" O'Mara (we can only imagine)
• LCdr. Scott "Pugsley" Anderson
• AW2(NAC) Patrick "****y Pants" Dalton (don't ask)
• Capt. "Jesus" Kleist
• LCdr. Darin "Sonny" Liston
• LCdr. Ed "Vanna" White
• Lt. Rebecca "Sam" Adams
• LCdr. David "Jackie" Gleeson
• Lt. "Noto" Kay
• Lt.Col. Hal "Hal-Bob" Hunt
• Lt. Jeff "Zorro" Gaydash
• Lt. Kyle "Marsha" Brady
• Major "Oh My" Gaud
• Lt.Col. Andy "Pap" Smear
• Lt. "Leaky" Fawcett (an update from LCdr. "Arvdawg" Arvanitas: It used
to be Farrah, but he quickly got wings embroided with "Leaky" to hide
Farrah)
• Lt. "Cobb" Web
• Lt. Raymond "Slink" Sinwell
• Lt. "Wrench" Tork (payment to the Mech guy)
• Cdr. Greg "HYFI" Harris (Harris You Freakin' Idiot - edited)
• LCdr. Nadim "Bill" Abu-Haidar (much easier)
• 1stLt. Joe "Snakeye" Pestana (named after the bomb fin because he's
retarded)
• Lt. Chris "Powder" Castro (named because the CO, after watching the
movie Powder (the dumbest movie ever), proclaimed, "The next guy we get;
we're calling Power!" Chris was the FNG.
• LCdr. James "BUD" Joyner (Big Ugly Dude--unwittingly named by the
troops)
• Cdr. Martin "LuRMOS" O'Laughlin (Little Round Mound of Sound, renamed
Dice after his return from a USAF exchange tour.* Go figure.)
• LCdr. Don "Cakeboy" Breen
• Capt. Alexis "Nomo" McCabe (NO Male Organ)
• LCdr. Don "Duck" Gill (hit in the head by a golf ball during Top Gun
ground school.* The ball must have come through a window in the tactical
library.)
• LCdr. J. M. "Frenchy" LeBlanc
• Cdr. Ian "CMK" McIntyre (Channel-Marker Killer)

Bonus Category

Approach received an article that had been proof-read in the squadron by
"Strut," "Flamer," and "Mouth." Sounds like a law firm!
Old March 25th 04, 03:56 PM
vincent p. norris

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 02:14:27 GMT, jsmith wrote:
• Lt.Col. Randy "Notso" Bright

I was in a sqaudron with a Notso Bright, a marine captain in the early
1950s. Could it be the same guy?

That one really wasn't; it's hard to believe he could have made
Lt.Col.

• Capt. Bill "Tripod" Mooberry

We also had a Tripod, for physiological reasons.
Diffferent surname, though.

vince norris