Mounties Electrocute Airline Passenger

Old October 17th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Mounties Electrocute Airline Passenger

Is airline passenger abuse on the rise as a result of passenger
reaction to airline delays?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...r.html?ref=rss

Man dies after Taser shock by police at Vancouver airport
Last Updated: Sunday, October 14, 2007 | 5:04 PM ET

A man in his 40s died early Sunday morning after RCMP jolted him with
a Taser at the Vancouver International Airport, police said.

Airport security called the Mounties for assistance after an
unidentified man began pounding on windows and throwing chairs and
computer equipment in the customs area shortly after arriving on an
international flight at 1:30 a.m., Richmond RCMP Sgt. Pierre Lemaitre
told CBC News.

"We arrived and tried to calm the man," Lemaitre said. "We tried
through gestures to get him to put his hands down on the desk … to no
avail."

When he ignored orders to calm down, police used a stun gun on the
man.

The man dropped to the floor and police said it took three officers to
handcuff him. He then lost consciousness and appeared to go into
cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at the airport, the CBC's Chris
Brown reported.

Few other details have been disclosed other than the man spoke an
Eastern European language and a flight from Poland touched down about
an hour before the incident, Brown said.

Taser devices are controversial because of the dozen North American
deaths resulting from their use. There has been debate about how safe
these devices are when dealing with certain kinds of people who are
delirious or wound up, Brown said.

Police are investigating and a toxicology report will be done to
determine whether there were drugs in the man's system. They will be
interviewing customs officers and flight attendants, Brown reported.

International arrivals were rerouted but there were no delays in
flight schedules.

Old October 17th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

Is airline passenger abuse on the rise as a result of passenger
reaction to airline delays?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...2007/10/14/bc-

taser.htm
[...]

Normally I loath airprt security. But i hate asshole pax even more..
too good for him, I say!

They should do the same to people who talk in movie theatres.

Bertie

Old October 17th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

The invention needed is a taser that can be aimed at a usernet poster
thru the screen, maybe configured so that whenever certain ones press
send they get a jolt.

I'm good at the big ideas, I'll leave it up to the engineers who post
here to work out the details.

..Tina

Old October 17th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Tina wrote in news:1192625434.404953.245950
@y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

The invention needed is a taser that can be aimed at a usernet poster
thru the screen, maybe configured so that whenever certain ones press
send they get a jolt.

I thought that was me.

No?

I'm good at the big ideas, I'll leave it up to the engineers who post
here to work out the details.

Well, if anyone can, anthony can.

Bertie
Old October 17th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Tina

Don't they already have one???

Think it is called a cattle prod or some such.

Big John

Old October 17th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:50:34 -0000, Tina wrote
in .com:

The invention needed is a taser that can be aimed at a usernet poster
thru the screen, maybe configured so that whenever certain ones press
send they get a jolt.

I can understand your frustration, and proposed Skinnerian solution,
but would you truly want to introduce censorship into this uniquely
egalitarian forum?

Personally, I'd prefer that those who find it beyond their ability to
restrain themselves from reacting had your negative reward device
installed. :-) That would improve the newsgroup's signal-to-noise
ratio far more than stifling the trolls.

Old October 17th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Normally I loath airprt security. But i hate asshole pax even more..
too good for him, I say!

They should do the same to people who talk in movie theatres.

Agree.

I hate the way these Taser stories are written, with all of their
unabashed phony horror and shock. What everyone forgets is that
before the Taser the police might have simply shot the guy, or (at
best) would have started swinging billy clubs -- risking injury to
themselves as well as to the perp.

The guy went berserk in a public place, and was a clear and present
danger to others. The Mounties did what they thought was best for the
public. The guy obviously had some pre-existing condition that caused
his ticker to quit. It happens.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 17th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Larry Dighera" wrote)
International arrivals were rerouted but there were no delays in flight
schedules.

I have no idea what this means - they landed at another airport, but on
time?

It seems, in today's world, we've got people 'in authority' making what I
call hyper-cautious decisions, far too often.

Montblack

Old October 17th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Larry Dighera wrote:

Airport security called the Mounties for assistance after an
unidentified man began pounding on windows and throwing chairs and
computer equipment in the customs area shortly after arriving on an
international flight at 1:30 a.m., Richmond RCMP Sgt. Pierre Lemaitre
told CBC News.

Pretty simple.

Don't throw sh*t at the airport... stay alive.

Too bad for the dead guy. One less jerk we'll have to tolerate.

Old October 17th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

On Oct 17, 10:20 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:50:34 -0000, Tina wrote
in .com:

You know, Medtronics found their implanted defibulators sometimes
caused unintended shocks. This may be an ideal application. . . . .

The invention needed is a taser that can be aimed at a usernet poster
thru the screen, maybe configured so that whenever certain ones press
send they get a jolt.

I can understand your frustration, and proposed Skinnerian solution,
but would you truly want to introduce censorship into this uniquely
egalitarian forum?

Personally, I'd prefer that those who find it beyond their ability to
restrain themselves from reacting had your negative reward device
installed. :-) That would improve the newsgroup's signal-to-noise
ratio far more than stifling the trolls.

Airline Lobby Group Says GA traffic Is The Main Cause Of Airline Delays Larry Dighera Piloting 0 July 7th 07 01:19 PM
747-400 passenger jet is no more J.F. Aviation Photos 0 March 17th 07 03:25 PM
8 passenger fuselage 400 lbs. WOW! Montblack Home Built 1 March 16th 06 10:26 PM
My first passenger Icebound Piloting 10 February 6th 06 04:00 PM
Virtual Airline sues Real Airline Joseph Brown Simulators 4 April 25th 04 09:10 PM