looking for helicopter news groups

Old October 23rd 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DNewill

Default looking for helicopter news groups

Hi - Long term EAA'er looking for newsgroup or usergroups on experimental
helicopters - Rotorway, etc.
Thanks

Old October 23rd 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Chernoff

http://www.rotorwayownersgroup.com/

Old October 23rd 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Bill Chernoff" wrote in message
http://www.rotorwayownersgroup.com/

Do you know if they welcome conversation on other models Bill?

I would be nice to see a group dedicated to experimental rotorcraft.

Max

Old October 23rd 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Oh golly, here we go again...

133 hp FOUR seater?
Old October 23rd 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

The rec.aviation.rotorcraft exists but is deader than last years tomatoes.
There are a few others that tend to specialize in the " I'm gonna" and "all
the other designers don't know what they are doing types", but I haven't
found one that involves people that are building and Flying experimental
helicopters. I'm also interested. Built and flying a Baby Belle/ Safari
plus attend a bunch of events looking at the experimental helicopters in
support of the magazine.

Stu Fields
Experimental Helo Magazine.
. net...

Old October 23rd 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Oh golly, here we go again...

133 hp FOUR seater?

That was the first one. The four seater is to be the second one, and will
have a Jincheng motorbike engine. Probably less power, though.

Old October 23rd 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Note also the throttle up, throttle down in lieu of collective. No
Autorotations for that one.
Stu Fields

Old October 23rd 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
Note also the throttle up, throttle down in lieu of collective. No
Autorotations for that one.
Stu Fields

Can we start a pool on when this Nigerian dies? Or is that in bad taste?

Old October 23rd 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
Note also the throttle up, throttle down in lieu of collective. No
Autorotations for that one.
Stu Fields

Can we start a pool on when this Nigerian dies? Or is that in bad taste?

If it only counts if he buys it in that contraption he built, I'd buy
in. Who's holding the pot?

Tony
Old October 23rd 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Big John

He got 7 feet which is a lot more than Moller has ever gotten.

Maybe Moller should hook up with him?.....)

Big John

************************************************** ******8

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:43:53 -0700, Richard Riley
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:30:18 -0500, "Maxwell"
wrote:

"Bill Chernoff" wrote in message
http://www.rotorwayownersgroup.com/

Do you know if they welcome conversation on other models Bill?

I would be nice to see a group dedicated to experimental rotorcraft.

Max

Here's an interesting one...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/nigeriah...3syK SG0DW7oF

by Aminu Abubakar Sun Oct 21, 6:43 PM ET

KANO (AFP) - Mubarak Muhammad Abdullahi, a 24-year-old physics
undergraduate in northern Nigeria, takes old cars and motorbikes to
pieces in the back yard at home and builds his own helicopters from
the parts.

"It took me eight months to build this one," he said, sweat pouring
from his forehead as he filled the radiator of the banana yellow
four-seater which he now parks in the grounds of his university.

The chopper, which has flown briefly on six occasions, is made from
scrap aluminium that Abdullahi bought with the money he makes from
computer and mobile phone repairs, and a donation from his father, who
teaches at Kano's Bayero university.

It is powered by a second-hand 133 horsepower Honda Civic car engine
and kitted out with seats from an old Toyota saloon car. Its other
parts come from the carcass of a Boeing 747 which crashed near Kano
some years ago.

For a four-seater it is a big aircraft, measuring twelve metres (39
feet) long, seven metres high by five wide. It has never attained an
altitude of more than seven feet.

The cockpit consists of a push-button ignition, an accelerator lever
between the seats which controls vertical thrust, a joystick that
provides balance and bearing.

A small screen on the dashboard connects to a camera underneath the
helicopter for ground vision, a set of six buttons adjusts the
screen's brightness while a small transmitter is used for
communication.

"You start it, allow it to run for a minute or two and you then shift
the accelerator forward and the propeller on top begins to spin. The
further you shift the accelerator the faster it goes and once you
reach 300 rmp you press the joystick and it takes off," Abdullahi
explained from the cockpit.

He said he learned the rudiments of flying a helicopter from the
Internet and first got the idea of building one from the films he
watches on television.

"I watched action movies a lot and I was fascinated by the way
choppers fly. I decided it would be easier to build one than to build
a car," he said pacing the premises of the security division of the
university which he uses as hanger for his helicopter.

He hoped -- and still does hope -- that the Nigerian government and
his wealthy compatriots would turn to him and stop placing orders with
western manufacturers.

So far, however, government response to his chopper project has been
underwhelming to say the least.

Although some government officials got very excited when they saw him
conduct a demonstration flight in neighbouring Katsina state,
Nigeria's Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has so far shown no interest
in his aircraft.

"No one from the NCAA has come to see what I've done. We don't reward
talent in this country," he lamented.

Abdullahi does admit that his first helicopter lacks "some basic
facilities like devices for measuring atmospheric pressure, altitude,
humidity and the like."

In a country with Nigeria's abysmal air safety record officials may be
loath to gamble on one student's home-made helicopter.

But Abdullahi, undeterred, has started work on a new flying machine,
which, he says, "will be a radical improvement on the first one in
terms of sophistication and aesthetics."

Currently just a spindly metal frame in the back yard, the helicopter
will be a two-seater and Abdullahi calculates it will be able to fly
at an altitude of 15 feet for three hours at a stretch.

It will be powered by a brand new motor -- albeit Taiwan-manufactured
and destined for the Jincheng motorbike so common on the streets of
Kano.