Seeking advice- checkride tips

Old December 26th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Terence Wilson

Default Seeking advice- checkride tips

I'm scheduled for the instrument check-ride in a couple of weeks. I
feel like I can perform within the PTS, but I'm a little" rough around
the edges" and prone to at least one stupid screw-up per flight, most
of the time I catch the screw-ups myself and fix them in a reasonable
time.

That said, I was wondering whether the experienced contributers here
might offer some advice for the day of my check-ride. My main concern
is that I might be so nervous that I bungle the easy stuff.

Best,

Terence
Old December 26th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Noel

In article ,
Terence Wilson wrote:

I'm scheduled for the instrument check-ride in a couple of weeks. I
feel like I can perform within the PTS, but I'm a little" rough around
the edges" and prone to at least one stupid screw-up per flight, most
of the time I catch the screw-ups myself and fix them in a reasonable
time.

That said, I was wondering whether the experienced contributers here
might offer some advice for the day of my check-ride. My main concern
is that I might be so nervous that I bungle the easy stuff.

Best,

Terence

The night before my instrument checkride my CFII put me through a simulated
checkride. I totally messed it up, I pretty much did everything wrong.

The next day I nailed the checkride (that's my story and...).

For me, it worked to leave the screwups for practice and then just relax on
the checkride and have fun.

Good luck (and, fwiw, relax)

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old December 26th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Barry

That said, I was wondering whether the experienced contributers here
might offer some advice for the day of my check-ride. My main concern
is that I might be so nervous that I bungle the easy stuff.

The night before my instrument checkride my CFII put me through a simulated
checkride.

I suggest doing a simulated checkride, with a different, a week or so before
the real checkride. If you've done all your training with the same
instructor, and have not done any stage checks or similar, this is especially
valuable, for these reasons:

- independent review of your readiness by a third party
- time to work on any problem areas before the real checkride
- work out some of the nervousness by flying with someone else in a test
environment
- confidence builder for you.

Old December 26th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:25:27 -0500, Bob Noel
wrote:

The night before my instrument checkride my CFII put me through a simulated
checkride. I totally messed it up, I pretty much did everything wrong.

The next day I nailed the checkride (that's my story and...).

I nailed "the ifr simulated checkride" and screwed up the partial
panel on "_THE_ IFR CHECKRIDE", but I got it right a week later.

All I can say is that I'm REALLY GOOD at flying with only a wet
compass now. G

As Bob says, relax and fly. If something doesn't work out, you'll
work it out it and nail it. I look at my second partial panel trip
as a message that I needed to be really good at it based on the
equippage of my airplane.
Old December 27th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Whiting

Terence Wilson wrote:
I'm scheduled for the instrument check-ride in a couple of weeks. I
feel like I can perform within the PTS, but I'm a little" rough around
the edges" and prone to at least one stupid screw-up per flight, most
of the time I catch the screw-ups myself and fix them in a reasonable
time.

That said, I was wondering whether the experienced contributers here
might offer some advice for the day of my check-ride. My main concern
is that I might be so nervous that I bungle the easy stuff.

The best advice is to simply catch and correct the screw-ups in a timely
manner. That will cut it with most DEs assuming the screw-ups don't
make is such that "the outcome of the maneuver or flight" is in
question. Few of us fly perfect flights. The key is to keep the
mistakes few and minor and correct them promptly.

It doesn't take a perfect flight to pass a check ride. It does take
decent flying skill and sound judgment. For example, if you both an
approach such that you aren't stabilized sufficiently for landing, go
around! Trying to salvage a good landing from a bad approach typically
isn't wise and likely will lose points on the judgment front.

Matt
Old December 27th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

Ex-examiner here.....

Talk. Let the examiner know what your thought processes are. If you catch
things going awry, tell the examiner what is happening and how you are
correcting. The real deal-killer is when the examiner doesn't realize that
you are aware of an error because you think that s/he won't notice it. Good
luck!!

Bob Gardner

Old December 27th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Terence Wilson

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:12:58 -0800, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Ex-examiner here.....

Talk. Let the examiner know what your thought processes are. If you catch
things going awry, tell the examiner what is happening and how you are
correcting. The real deal-killer is when the examiner doesn't realize that
you are aware of an error because you think that s/he won't notice it. Good
luck!!

Bob Gardner

Bob, thanks for the tip. Do you recommend talking my way through the
check-ride, for example, when I'm executing the 5 T's or 5 A's should
I say what I am doing or would that be too chatty?
Old December 27th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Dec 26, 2:44*pm, Terence Wilson wrote:
That said, I was wondering whether the experienced contributers here
might offer some advice for the day of my check-ride. My main concern
is that I might be so nervous that I bungle the easy stuff.

Best,

Terence

Terence,

What I posted in the past

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...a56cf54d9ad314

Old December 27th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Lee[_2_]

" wrote:

On Dec 26, 2:44=A0pm, Terence Wilson wrote:
That said, I was wondering whether the experienced contributers here
might offer some advice for the day of my check-ride. My main concern
is that I might be so nervous that I bungle the easy stuff.

Best,

Terence

Terence,

What I posted in the past

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...thread/a6cfb6=
289fb14c61/6fa56cf54d9ad314?lnk=3Dst&q=3Dcheckride+tips+liebe rman#6fa56cf54d=
9ad314

Consider using tinyurl.com for links like that por favor.

Ron Lee

Old December 27th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
SimGuy

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:23:39 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

What I posted in the past

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...a56cf54d9ad314

That's really useful. Thanks.

Midland: Seeking Advice [email protected] Piloting 8 September 29th 04 01:44 PM
Student Seeking XC Advice Jay Beckman Piloting 5 August 13th 04 03:52 AM
Newbie seeking advice . Soaring 35 June 17th 04 12:45 PM
Seeking Route Advice - OH -> SD -> MT -> BC Darrell Clay Piloting 0 January 28th 04 02:20 AM
Newbie seeking glider purchase advice Ted Wagner Soaring 19 January 2nd 04 08:00 PM