Another Addition to the Rec.Aviation Rogue's Gallery!

Old January 25th 04, 02:46 AM
Jerry Springer

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Jerry Springer wrote:

Think maybe Badwater "Bill" might give a clue as to what his name is? :-)

He's been known by that nickname on and off the net for at least ten years. It
might as well *be* his born name.

George Patterson

I was talking about VideoGuy calling him "Bob". I know who BWB is I've parked my
RV-6 next to his at flyins.

Jerry

Old January 25th 04, 03:23 AM
Jay Honeck

Think maybe Badwater "Bill" might give a clue as to what his name is?
:-)

He's been known by that nickname on and off the net for at least ten

years. It
might as well *be* his born name.

This may go against my new promise not to "over-announce" new additions, but
"Badwater Bill" has just forwarded me a whole bunch of awesome photos for
his new section in the Rogue's Gallery!

I say "new section" because I could practically build a new webpage around
his stuff! This guy (and, after I told him our policy about not allowing
pseudonyms in the Gallery, he has allowed me to use his real name -- which
is Bill Phillips) has flown more, and flown more different aircraft, than
all of us put together! You'll be as amazed as me when you see them all...

I'm going to try to get caught up on the new Rogue's Gallery additions
tomorrow.

Remember, though, there won't be an announcement about it! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 25th 04, 04:16 AM
Badwater Bill

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:54:16 -0600, "VideoGuy" gkasten at brick dot
net wrote:

Err... Sorry Bill, or is it MR. Phillips?

Gary

It's Dr. Phillips, but I don't use that at all. I prefer Badwater
Bill as I have used it here for nearly 10 years. The Dr. bull **** is
for when I lecture at universities or in Europe. They're big on
titles in both of those places.

I can't believe all the new people that must be in here. I go away
for a year or so and everybody forgets me.

I'll make a bigger impact this time.

How's that?

BWB

Old January 25th 04, 04:20 AM
Badwater Bill

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:46:29 GMT, Jerry Springer
wrote:

VideoGuy wrote:

"Badwater Bill" wrote in message

But I am burned out on telling people what an aileron is and how it
works. I've done that a lot in my life. Maybe the old coots like me
should forever leave this ng and let you people who don't fly and
don't build have it. Then you won't be insulted when we cringe when a
mature adult askes a question that we first answered in the 1950's.

BWB

Think maybe Badwater "Bill" might give a clue as to what his name is? :-)

Why, it must be BOB!

Ha Ha

BWB

Old January 25th 04, 04:33 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jerry Springer wrote:

I was talking about VideoGuy calling him "Bob". I know who BWB is I've parked my
RV-6 next to his at flyins.

Ah .. Sorry. I thought you were one of the people accusing him of hiding behind
an anonymous login. My mistake.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Old January 25th 04, 04:36 AM
Badwater Bill

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:06:15 -0600, "VideoGuy" gkasten at brick dot
net wrote:

"Badwater Bill" wrote in message
. ..
But I am burned out on telling people what an aileron is and how it
works. I've done that a lot in my life. Maybe the old coots like me
should forever leave this ng and let you people who don't fly and
don't build have it. Then you won't be insulted when we cringe when a
mature adult askes a question that we first answered in the 1950's.

BWB

Bob,

Maybe you wouldn't be so tired of the same old questions if you if you
viewed them as questions from NEW people eager to learn, regardless of their
"status". For whatever reasons, ( I suspect mostly monetary) many people
have needed to defer realization of a dream. We don't ask for your pity.

As far as leaving the newsgroup goes... Well, I guess if your attitude has
deteriorated to the point that you feel you have nothing worth adding, then
maybe you have the right idea.

I just did for about a year. The morons wore me down as they will
again.

Personally, I'd hate to think that anyone
who has as much experience in aviation as you would ever be at a point where
they would have nothing worth adding.

Oh, it's not that, it's that the boneheads wear you down. If someone
is legitimate and has a real question, I don't mind chiming in. It's
just that there is little of that here. You might have caught my post
on how to paint that fabric somewhere today. That guy was legitimate.
If that were what this ng was mostly about many of those with vast
experience who left long ago would still be here because they too
might pick up a simple technique to help them.

The trouble is, you have to wade through a vast sea of crap. It
reminds me of a million square mile ocean that is only 3 inches deep.
When you find a cavity that is a foot deep, you think you've hit pay
dirt.

I only post here nowadays for my own entertainment, not to learn
anything. The transfer of knowledge has always been mostly one way
for me. And, that's too bad too because there are people who are
really interested and who really are worthy of helping. You, might be
one of them. It's just that the assholes get in the way of that.

I had an ATP in my 30's and seven flight instructor ratings. Now I
have about 10,000 hours in balloons, helicopters, gliders,
ultralights, hang gliders, airplanes and gyros, plus a Ph.D. in
physics. When some anonymous coward insults me as I try to post here
and convey some meaning to a sea of mediocrity, it just gets to the
point that it ain't worth it.

I burned out on this ng long ago and I'll leave again, soon. Probably
tomorrow. I'm just stuck inside today because it's too cold to go
outside and fly anything that's fun. I wanted to fly my new electric
hummingbird helicopter today but it's just too damn cold to go to the
park. So, all of you had to put up with me. Ha Ha

I liked that guy Jay's website. That was fun to see. I sent him a
bunch of the airplanes I've been fortunate enough to fly in my life.
There is one picture I really like of my Jantar 15 meter sailplane. I
forgot to send him one of my Lark while I was on a pressure breath
system at 30,000 feet. I'll try and find that baby and get it to him.
I held a camera in front of me in the cockpit. The insides of the
canopy were frozen over with moisture from my breath. I was flying on
an electric gyro with a special clearance into class A airspace that
day. I was still going up at 2000 feet per minute in wave lift when I
had to abort because the damn wind would freeze over as fast as I
could clear it with the back of my glove (on my hand). Damn, I wish I
could find that one.

BWB

But obviously, you would have to be
the judge on that.

Gary (still waiting- but sneaking up on the goal) Kasten

Old January 25th 04, 05:00 AM
Morgans

"Badwater Bill" wrote

I can't believe all the new people that must be in here. I go away
for a year or so and everybody forgets me.

I'll make a bigger impact this time.

How's that?

BWB

O H N O ! ! ! !

Does that mean you are going to quit taking your rat poison, and REALLY go
off on some one? :-o

Just as long as it isn't me! g
--
Jim in NC

Old January 25th 04, 05:28 AM
Morgans

"Badwater Bill" wrote
snip
[...]

I, for one, am glad that all of the people with the knowledge have not left.
I have learned a tremendous amount here.

I am like a sponge, when it comes to aviation. I read everything I can get
my hands on. I am waiting to get to the point to be able to pass a
medical. It may not happen, but I am getting ready, anyway. Dreams keep me
alive. If I didn't have them, I would be tempted to cash it all in, because
of my pain.

One day I will fly, somehow. I will also fly something I built, with my own
hands. I can think of nothing that will give me more satisfaction.

I also get frustrated by the crap. Sometimes I just stay out of the fray.
I make good use of kill files, and am not afraid to use the "mark
conversation read" button. It still is worthwhile to me, and I enjoy the
off topic jabs and jokes that take place here, like with me and BOb.
Without you, and others like you, I would stop learning, and it would not
be worth it.

Just stay on your rat poison. Sometimes, *you* cross the useless line, and
get marked a "read". g

That's my two cents worth. I rarely have something to add, but when I do, I
pitch in. I am glad that others still do the same.

As far as you leaving, you gotta do what you gotta do. Everyone still has
the freedom of choice, here. That is also what I think about this thread.
Everyone should do what they want to do.
--
Jim in NC