A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Condor and Windows 10

Old July 31st 15, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Condor and Windows 10

Does anyone have any experience yet with Condor under Windows 10? I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade yet given some concerns about connectivity with my Vertica V2 running LK8000 (this may also be a problem for Oudie users). I purchased a USB to serial cable from Glidertools several years ago that allows me to move the device from my glider to desktop, but my understanding is that the driver for the cable will not be supported for Win10, so an upgrade would put an end to using the device with Condor and FSX. The Glidertools website looks like they are no longer functioning. I have also had little success with a BT connection at home since the connection seems to lack a serial service on the COM port. Anyone figure this out yet?
Old August 1st 15, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The pl2303 usb to serial adapter that a lot of people have used to make their own cable with has drivers that should work. Read the faqs on amazon under the pl2303hx adapter about windows 10 comparability. If the chip is counterfeit the driver may not work, although many people are using old drivers successfully.

Also there is another option, a program called Gps gate. Some if the xcsoar users without wifi in their GPS found Gps gate to work to create a virtual serial port and send gps data to condor. I followed the xcsoar tutorial and it also worked flawlessly. The only catch was the trial is good for 30 days.

Old August 1st 15, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks, you got me on the right track. The original Glidertools cable apparently uses a PL2303HXA version of the chip which will not be supported in Win 8/8.1/10. There is a later version of the chip, PL2303HXD, that is supported by Win 10 drivers which can be found he http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowPr...id=225&pcid=41. Sounds like it's time to build a new cable.

Old August 2nd 15, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Just to consolidate all the information in one place, I have also learned that FTDI makes a comparable series of USB - serial converter chips that are found in several manufactured cables, and the drivers for Win10 are already available.

Old August 3rd 15, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I'm currently researching how to back out Windows 10 after less than a
week of problems with it. Of course, my laptop is about 8 years old but
it was blistering fast with Windows 8.1 and I don't intend to replace it
unless and until it dies.

On 8/2/2015 12:56 PM, wrote:
Just to consolidate all the information in one place, I have also learned that FTDI makes a comparable series of USB - serial converter chips that are found in several manufactured cables, and the drivers for Win10 are already available.

--
Dan Marotta

Old August 3rd 15, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Hi,

The Condor-Oudie cable I sell that is made by Goddard in the USA works great
in Windows 8.1 and should work great with Windows 10. I'll test it soon.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/godda...ndor-Oudie-1p5

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

wrote in message

Thanks, you got me on the right track. The original Glidertools cable
apparently uses a PL2303HXA version of the chip which will not be supported
in Win 8/8.1/10. There is a later version of the chip, PL2303HXD, that is
supported by Win 10 drivers which can be found he
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowPr...id=225&pcid=41. Sounds like
it's time to build a new cable.

Old August 7th 15, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Don't waste your time buying a cable for condor.

You can build it for under $10 and there are only 3 wires to connect. The driver is the most difficult part to find and IF you build your own you will know where the driver can be found and use a generic driver.

Old August 8th 15, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Personally, I just don't understand the rush to install Win10.

From a security mailing list I subscribe to:

--Windows 10 Security and Privacy Issues (August 3 & 5, 2015) Windows 10 collects a significant amount of data from users. The privacy policy is described in the operating system's privacy statement, but users often agree to Terms of Service Agreements without actually reading the text. These articles describe some of the ways user data is gathered and used, and provide recommendations for changing settings to protect privacy.
http://www.wired.com/2015/08/windows...ngs-need-know/
http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...em.single.html
[Editor's Note (Pescatore): Since Microsoft has joined the "updates are free, we will get revenue from selling information about users"
bandwagon with Google, Facebook, etc., Windows 10 does try to sneak a lot of info leakage into the default settings. Enterprise pressure on Microsoft is needed to get these changed to opt-ins before enterprise migration.]
Old August 8th 15, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I had Windows 10 installed for about 3 days and backed it out. During
that process I learned that you have 30 days to decide not to use it.
Since reverting to 8.1, I get popups at every start up telling me about
"upgrading" to the free Windows 10... BTW, the rollback built into the
upgrade did not put my laptop back to its previous configuration.
Things work differently now... My advice is don't do it just yet.

On 8/7/2015 6:13 PM, wrote:
Personally, I just don't understand the rush to install Win10.

From a security mailing list I subscribe to:

--Windows 10 Security and Privacy Issues (August 3 & 5, 2015) Windows 10 collects a significant amount of data from users. The privacy policy is described in the operating system's privacy statement, but users often agree to Terms of Service Agreements without actually reading the text. These articles describe some of the ways user data is gathered and used, and provide recommendations for changing settings to protect privacy.
http://www.wired.com/2015/08/windows...ngs-need-know/
http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...em.single.html
[Editor's Note (Pescatore): Since Microsoft has joined the "updates are free, we will get revenue from selling information about users"
bandwagon with Google, Facebook, etc., Windows 10 does try to sneak a lot of info leakage into the default settings. Enterprise pressure on Microsoft is needed to get these changed to opt-ins before enterprise migration.]

--
Dan Marotta

Old August 9th 15, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Windows upgrades are not usually optional, unfortunately, for very long anyway. Hardware manufactures only make drivers that work with old OS's for so long and Microsoft won't release new security patches after a certain point for an old os.