Rides today - have to share

Old September 30th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Rides today - have to share

RAS'ers -

today our glider field was visited by my Grandma, and two sets of my
Great Aunts and Uncles (her sister and brother and their husband/
wife). Took granny and the two great uncles flying. Grandma has been
excited for a glider ride ever since I started flying and has always
enjoed hearing of my flights. Took them up in the old 2-22 and
discovered that winds above 1000 AGL were howling. got to fly
backwards while indicating 45 mph. Grandma, even though being legally
blind, really enjoyed the flight and the view. She mentioned that the
next time she wants to fly a glider on a cross country flight that
that "sounds like fun". so watch this space for a great story,
probably next spring, of the cherokee taking his grandma on a cross
country flight in a club 2-22. I cant wait.

Old October 1st 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 30, 5:52 pm, Shirl wrote:
wrote:
today our glider field was visited by my Grandma, and two sets of my
Great Aunts and Uncles (her sister and brother and their husband/
wife). Took granny and the two great uncles flying. Grandma has been
excited for a glider ride ever since I started flying and has always
enjoed hearing of my flights. Took them up in the old 2-22 and
discovered that winds above 1000 AGL were howling. got to fly
backwards while indicating 45 mph. Grandma, even though being legally
blind, really enjoyed the flight and the view. She mentioned that the
next time she wants to fly a glider on a cross country flight that
that "sounds like fun". so watch this space for a great story,
probably next spring, of the cherokee taking his grandma on a cross
country flight in a club 2-22. I cant wait.

Great story. You are *so* fortunate that (a) they are here to see you
fly, and (b) they want to share the experience WITH you. I hope you got
some photos. I wish I could have shared the experience with my parents.
Mom's parting words to me, a week before she died, were the inspiration
for learning to fly, a year later in a 2-33.

yep i got a nice picture of the 4 of us in front of the 22 after we
tied it down. Grandma also had a classic quote then. As I was tying
it down she says "When do we take the wings off???" I explained that
we keep the club gliders assembled and she was, I think, genuinely
dissapointed as she wanted to see how it worked. I tried to save
grace by at least showing her my dissassembled cherokee but I dont
think she will be happy until she is in a field with me somewhere
derigging.

Old October 1st 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

My 90 year old Mom keeps asking me "Are you still doing the flying
thing?". When I say yes, she gets a worried look and says, "I wish
you wouldn't do that sigh." I think that she just can't get her
head around the whole no engine thing. Of course, neither can a power
parachute friend of mine. I even get strange looks from straight
power airplane guys ... "How do you do that?"

Old October 2nd 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Since I started flying power the last few years my mom likes to tell
her friends, "I used to worry because he didn't have an engine. Now I
worry because he DOES!"

MM

Old October 2nd 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 1, 11:16 pm, wrote:
Since I started flying power the last few years my mom likes to tell
her friends, "I used to worry because he didn't have an engine. Now I
worry because he DOES!"

MM

On Oct 1, 4:49 pm, ContestID67 wrote:

My 90 year old Mom keeps asking me "Are you still doing the flying
thing?". When I say yes, she gets a worried look and says, "I wish
you wouldn't do that sigh." I think that she just can't get her
head around the whole no engine thing. Of course, neither can a power
parachute friend of mine. I even get strange looks from straight
power airplane guys ... "How do you do that?"

plus the classic line about homebuilt aircraft: "Well my chocolate
chip cookies are homemade too but I dont take them up to 5000 feet!"

Glider rides in NM? Mike Lindsay Soaring 6 January 2nd 06 03:12 PM
DEs for CFII rides Robert M. Gary Piloting 1 December 19th 05 11:57 PM
Glider rides? Kbh2u General Aviation 2 November 15th 03 06:52 AM
Glider rides? Kbh2u Piloting 1 November 7th 03 01:02 AM
How many Glider Rides in one day cloud nine Soaring 23 November 4th 03 04:49 PM