Replacement DG & AI: Suggestions?

Old April 19th 05, 06:50 PM
Mark Hansen

On 4/19/2005 09:33, Andrew Gideon wrote:

Michael R wrote:

Another possibility:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....ID=7439&DID=19

I first read of this in a CPA email message. But they didn't provide a URL.

This instrument is interesting. It's apparently not solid state, but
instead uses the "old" approach of an electrically spun gyro (as most TCs
do). Therefore, I'd expect it to live less long than the Mid-continental
solid-state "equivalent".

But the Mid-continental has but a single year warranty. So...?

And this is cheaper by a factor of about four. However, it lacks an
electrical backup. So I'd not want to use it as a replacement for an AI in
my aircraft, where an electrical loss would mean losing both AI and TC.

Instead, this appears intended as a TC replacement. And that raises some
questions.

First, what about rate-based autopilots? How would they work where there
was no device reporting on the rate of a turn?

Second is the loss of the ability to do a timed turn. Perhaps this is no
big deal, as that's something we do only when the AI has failed.
Interesting.

The information on the Sporty's page talked about putting this in
the TC's position and moving the TC to a different location in the
panel.

[ snip ]

Thanks...

Andrew

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Student
Sacramento, CA
Old April 20th 05, 05:09 PM
Andrew Gideon

Mark Hansen wrote:

The information on the Sporty's page talked about putting this in
the TC's position and moving the TC to a different location in the
panel.

The cited AC mentions that too, I believe, as one solution. But I'm trying
to simplify the aircraft. I want to *replace* (and enhance); not just
*add*.

The AC also mentions other solutions for a rate-based AP, but they're all
along the lines of "don't do that" grin.

- Andrew

Analog tach replacement Mike Noel Owning 12 July 20th 04 10:20 PM
Cobra Trailer Axel Replacement Carter Soaring 7 July 7th 04 02:06 PM
Bend, OR (S07) to OSH route suggestions Jack Allison Piloting 4 April 12th 04 09:19 PM
Any suggestions? Larry Johnson Soaring 2 April 5th 04 09:14 PM
TKM MX-11 Com true slide replacement ? Rohit Fedane Owning 0 September 21st 03 05:02 PM