Glider pilot tries & dies (flying under a bridge)

Old November 10th 10, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karen

Default Glider pilot tries & dies (flying under a bridge)

As kids we watched in awe, the ag pilots flying under the power lines.
Decided not to try it in a SGS 2-22 when we saw him then pull up steep
to miss the tall fence on the other side of the road, do a wing-over,
then repeat it in the opposite direction.

Over-confidence can kill you even when you are 53 and should know
better.

Michael

Here is a glider pilot trying something even more stupid:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w...11/2010_121004

Here is a picture of the bridge in Greece:

http://www.upload.wikimedia.org/wiki...C_Gre ece.jpg
Old November 10th 10, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:41:54 -0800 (PST), Karen
wrote:

Here is a glider pilot trying something even more stupid:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w...11/2010_121004

Here is a picture of the bridge in Greece:

http://www.upload.wikimedia.org/wiki...C_Gre ece.jpg

That photo link doesn't work for me, but the bridge can be seen here
http://www.freebase.com/view/wikiped...ons_id/2800112

Can any Greek friend confirm that the aircraft was, in fact, a
glider/sailplane? And where would the glider land, after the low pass?

thanks

aldo cernezzi
Old November 10th 10, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Georgas

As is often the case in the press, this accident was misreported.

The actual aircraft involved in this sad event was a trike (i.e.
motorized deltaplane).

Old November 10th 10, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

The link above, for the story, did not work for me, but I found this:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w...11/2010_121004

"Glider death

Man, 53, killed while trying to pass aircraft under bridge

A 53-year-old man was killed on Saturday when the glider he had been
operating plunged into the Polyfytos Lake near Kozani. According to
police, the 53-year-old mismanaged a maneuver under a bridge crossing
the lake and fell into the water. It is unclear whether he was killed
by the impact or whether he drowned."

Chris N

Airline pilot dies after takeoff Mxsmanic Piloting 35 January 23rd 07 07:03 PM
Pilot dies midflight; co-pilot lands plane A Guy Called Tyketto Piloting 0 January 21st 07 07:56 PM
Glider pilot dies in crash Mal Soaring 0 September 17th 06 01:13 PM
F/A-18 crashes; pilot dies AJ Piloting 12 January 21st 06 11:43 PM
Olivi, Co-Pilot in Nagasaki Bombing, Dies Dav1936531 Military Aviation 0 April 11th 04 07:39 AM