Other Forums

Old March 1st 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Default Other Forums

Are there any private and/or moderated forums that are popular among
many of the posters to r.a.p.? Maybe AOPA's forum?

I use Google for firewall reasons so I frustratingly do not have
filtering capability.

Marco

Old March 1st 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 3/1/2007 4:11:42 PM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

I use Google for firewall reasons so I frustratingly do not have
filtering capability.

Giganews provides Usenet on port 80 (the same as http), or what I call the
"work" firewall buster, and you could get an account for relatively cheap if
all you do is download text. With that you could then get a free, robust,
client-based news reader to filter the nonsense.

Hate to see you go, Marco, as I always enjoy your posts.

--
Peter
Old March 1st 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Peter R. wrote:
On 3/1/2007 4:11:42 PM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

I use Google for firewall reasons so I frustratingly do not have
filtering capability.

Giganews provides Usenet on port 80 (the same as http), or what I call the
"work" firewall buster, and you could get an account for relatively cheap if
all you do is download text. With that you could then get a free, robust,
client-based news reader to filter the nonsense.

I get GigaNews for about $8 a month. Since I don't download binaries, I'm just
scratching the surface at useage. I've got a tremendous amount of bandwidth I'm
not even using.

I could use my ISP (Road Runner) usenet capability but I've found they're pretty
clueless at how to run a reliable news server. With GigaNews, it's they're only
business, so they're damned good at it. Extremely reliable.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old March 1st 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Are there any private and/or moderated forums that are popular among
many of the posters to r.a.p.?

There are other forums, but many of them are just r.a.p in drag. They
provide a portal and advertisements, and serve up our posts.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old March 2nd 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
wrxpilot

www.studentpilot.com

Old March 2nd 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brad[_1_]

On Mar 1, 4:11 pm, "Marco Leon" wrote:
Are there any private and/or moderated forums that are popular among
many of the posters to r.a.p.? Maybe AOPA's forum?

I use Google for firewall reasons so I frustratingly do not have
filtering capability.

Marco

I've been on AOPA forums, which at least requires membership...

Old March 2nd 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Are there any private and/or moderated forums that are popular among
many of the posters to r.a.p.? Maybe AOPA's forum?

I use Google for firewall reasons so I frustratingly do not have
filtering capability.

Cherokee Pilots Association's "Cherokee Chat" and the Cherokee 235/236
groups are quite excellent, for the Cherokee Drivers in the group.
(Although they, too, have had their share of flame wars and trolls.)

I've looked at AOPA's stuff, and other smaller flying portals, but
none offer the wide range of experience and expertise that
rec.aviation does.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 2nd 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Are there any private and/or moderated forums that are popular among
many of the posters to r.a.p.? Maybe AOPA's forum?

I use Google for firewall reasons so I frustratingly do not have
filtering capability.

Cherokee Pilots Association's "Cherokee Chat" and the Cherokee 235/236
groups are quite excellent, for the Cherokee Drivers in the group.
(Although they, too, have had their share of flame wars and trolls.)

I've looked at AOPA's stuff, and other smaller flying portals, but
none offer the wide range of experience and expertise that
rec.aviation does.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Be it real or imagined...

Jay B

Old March 2nd 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

On Mar 1, 4:56 pm, "Peter R." wrote:
Giganews provides Usenet on port 80 (the same as http), or what I call the
"work" firewall buster, and you could get an account for relatively cheap if
all you do is download text. With that you could then get a free, robust,
client-based news reader to filter the nonsense.

Well, you learn something every day, don't you????

I've had a giganews account for a while now. I didn't know they
allowed port 80.

It will feel like getting rid of a lingering cold. Thanks Peter!

Marco

Old March 2nd 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

On Mar 1, 10:15 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Are there any private and/or moderated forums that are popular among
many of the posters to r.a.p.? Maybe AOPA's forum?

I use Google for firewall reasons so I frustratingly do not have
filtering capability.

Cherokee Pilots Association's "Cherokee Chat" and the Cherokee 235/236
groups are quite excellent, for the Cherokee Drivers in the group.
(Although they, too, have had their share of flame wars and trolls.)

I've looked at AOPA's stuff, and other smaller flying portals, but
none offer the wide range of experience and expertise that
rec.aviation does.

I get that feeling too when looking at the content of these other
forums. However, Peter informed me about the use of port 80 on a news
provider where I already have an account. Looks like I'm not going
anywhere just yet (you can cancel your appointment with your
therapist :-)).

I'm looking forward to some troll-free reading.

Marco