KOSU Arrival ATIS

Old April 6th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

Default KOSU Arrival ATIS

"john smith" wrote in message
From EAA HOTLINE v7#14

NEW EAA AIRVENTURE ARRIVAL ATIS FREQUENCY TO BE USED
The FAA will use a new frequency for the AirVenture 2007 Arrival ATIS
this year. The frequency will have a higher-powered transmitter,
allowing pilots at a distance from Oshkosh to receive ATIS information
sooner. This is one the important changes that will appear in the 2007
EAA AirVenture NOTAM, and all pilots planning to fly in to Wittman
Regional Airport during the week are urged to obtain a copy.

Think they will tell us anymore than they have in the past?

Good question. Obsolete data transmitted over a wider area doesn't make it
any better. They need to put more emphasis on keeping the ATIS current...
On numerous occasions, I've found that the ATIS was far out of date compared
to what was actually happening at Fisk/Ripon/Oshkosh...

Something else that would be good would be to allow fly-in guests and
campers to pre-register for the event. After flying a multi hour cross
country, wouldn't it be great to just walk up to the window, present your
EAA card for scanning, and have the volunteer hand you the camping permit
and airshow passes you'd registered for online? Shoot, they could even mail
the stuff to you.

There are few things more annoying than flying 1/3 of the way across the
country only to have to stand in a 30 minute line to hand someone my money.

KB

Old April 7th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message m...
: Blueskies wrote:
: "Ron Natalie" wrote in message m...
: :
: :
: : That would work for me. Tell them to go to Appleton and read the NOTAM.
: : But sometimes it's better to get the idiots out of the air and on the
: : ground where they can do less harm.
:
:
:
: They should also be written up for not having all the information pertinent to the flight...
:
:
: Frankly, the last thing we need is FAA enforcement trolling around for
: business at Oshkosh.

Well, if we have laws, they should be enforced. If the law is not necessary it should be removed. Selective enforcement
has a lot to do with the problems we have in this country...

Old April 7th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
That would work for me. Tell them to go to Appleton and read the NOTAM.
But sometimes it's better to get the idiots out of the air and on the
ground where they can do less harm.

The NOTAM has arrival procedures for Appleton as well. Perhaps an airport
less impacted by the event would be a better choice.

Yeah, but it's just listen to the ATIS and call the tower. There are
a few reporting points marked, but it's not anywhere as involved as any
of the Wittman field arrivals.
Old April 7th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Well, if we have laws, they should be enforced. If the law is not necessary it should be removed. Selective enforcement
has a lot to do with the problems we have in this country...

Don't get me freaking started on here. We don't have laws.
We have a sham of a regulatory process which even thought one
agency is tasked with enacting them, enforcing them, and judging
them, they still make ad hoc rules and interpretations that
make a sham of even their own self-centered regulation
system. It leads to a lot of abuse which is nothing short
of unconstitutional deprivation of liberty and property
without due process of law.

So yes, the FAA needs reform. Until then, keep the regulatory
jack boots away from the major events when they are not strictly needed.

Old April 7th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Kyle Boatright wrote:

Good question. Obsolete data transmitted over a wider area doesn't make it
any better. They need to put more emphasis on keeping the ATIS current...
On numerous occasions, I've found that the ATIS was far out of date compared
to what was actually happening at Fisk/Ripon/Oshkosh..

Well the ATIS is owned by the FAA. The parking is controlled by the
EAA. While they work together pretty well, the tower and the parking
people do NOT have a direct connection. We don't find the field is
open/closed through any other system other than listening to the ATIS
or the toower frequency.

There are few things more annoying than flying 1/3 of the way across the
country only to have to stand in a 30 minute line to hand someone my money.

This has improved a lot in the 16 years or so I've been going. I
haven't waited in a line more than one or two deep in recent memory
to register. If you really want to see it work well, try the Camp
Scholler drive in lanes. They've got that really fine tuned.

I like your idea though.
Old April 7th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message m...
: Kyle Boatright wrote:
:
:
: Good question. Obsolete data transmitted over a wider area doesn't make it
: any better. They need to put more emphasis on keeping the ATIS current...
: On numerous occasions, I've found that the ATIS was far out of date compared
: to what was actually happening at Fisk/Ripon/Oshkosh..
:
: Well the ATIS is owned by the FAA. The parking is controlled by the
: EAA. While they work together pretty well, the tower and the parking
: people do NOT have a direct connection. We don't find the field is
: open/closed through any other system other than listening to the ATIS
: or the toower frequency.
:
:
:

EAA could do an ATIS-like broadcast on a Unicom sort of frequency - maybe could be called AAIS - automated airventure
information service...