Cigarette lighters in 100 series Cessnas and an AD(?)

Old September 17th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon[_2_]

Default Cigarette lighters in 100 series Cessnas and an AD(?)

I vaguely recall someone mentioning to me once that there was an AD
regarding cigarette lighters in Cessna 172s of some vintage. But I've
searched around trying to find this (including at the FAA web site), and
have failed.

Anyone have pointers (or is this perhaps an "urban myth")?

Thanks...

Andrew

Old September 18th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
mikem

On Sep 17, 3:10 pm, Andrew Gideon wrote:
I vaguely recall someone mentioning to me once that there was an AD
regarding cigarette lighters in Cessna 172s of some vintage. But I've
searched around trying to find this (including at the FAA web site), and
have failed.

Anyone have pointers (or is this perhaps an "urban myth")?

Thanks...

Andrew

It is an AD that applies to the Piper PA22 I own. The cigar lighter in
all three 100 series Cessnas I have owned were disconnected per a
Cessna Service Bulletin (never became an AD AFIK)

Old September 18th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
mikem

On Sep 17, 5:56 pm, mikem wrote:

Look at AD 79-8-

http://tinyurl.com/2p2yvy

Old September 18th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 17, 4:52 pm, mikem wrote:
On Sep 17, 3:10 pm, Andrew Gideon wrote:

I vaguely recall someone mentioning to me once that there was an AD
regarding cigarette lighters in Cessna 172s of some vintage. But I've
searched around trying to find this (including at the FAA web site), and
have failed.

Anyone have pointers (or is this perhaps an "urban myth")?

Thanks...

Andrew

It is an AD that applies to the Piper PA22 I own. The cigar lighter in
all three 100 series Cessnas I have owned were disconnected per a
Cessna Service Bulletin (never became an AD AFIK)

Then what powers your 396?

-Robert

Old September 18th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
mikem

On Sep 17, 6:16 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
Then what powers your 396?

-Robert

A 1A circuit breaker off the avionics bus, installed and logged as a
minor mod . The avionics master and split bus were also installed and
logged as a minor mod before I got the airplane. The Cigar Lighter
was also repowered via an added breaker in the Pacer, and via an in-
line fuse in the Cessna, also logged as a minor mod with AP signoff.

Old September 19th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John[_9_]

On Sep 17, 5:10 pm, Andrew Gideon wrote:
I vaguely recall someone mentioning to me once that there was an AD
regarding cigarette lighters in Cessna 172s of some vintage. But I've
searched around trying to find this (including at the FAA web site), and
have failed.

Anyone have pointers (or is this perhaps an "urban myth")?

Thanks...

Andrew

Here is the AD number and list of applicable aircraft from 120 to
T210. I have found I had to perform the service bulletin referenced
in the AD on a CE 177RG even though the AD did not apply. A resistor
in the cigar lighter system was consistently burning up.

John Dupre'

79-08-03

CESSNA

Amendment: 39-3428

Applicability:

Applies to the following models and serial numbered airplanes
certified in all categories:

Model Series Serial Numbers

120, 140 8000 through 15075 and 15200
through 15724

150 15065062 through 15075564
A150 A15000001 through A15000480
170 18000 through 20999 and 25000
through 27169

172 28000 through 29999, 46001 through
47746, 17247747 through 17250572,

and 17259224 through 17267584

R172 R1722000 through R1722724
P172 P17257120 through P17257189
175 55001 through 56777 and 17556778
through 17557119

177 17700001 through 17702314
177RG 177RG0001 through 177RG0788
180 30000 through 32999, 50000 through
50355, and 18051608 through 18052770

182 33000 through 34999, 51001 through
51556, and 18254680 through 18265965

185 18500968 through 18503458
188 188-0001 through 188-0572 and
18800573 through 18803046

190, 195 7001 through 7999 and 16000
through 16183

210-5 (205) and 205-0320 through 205-0577
210-5A (205A)
206, U206, TU206, 206-0001 through 206-0275,
U206-0276 through U206-1444, U20601445 through

P206, TP206 U20604074, P206-001 through
P206-0603, and P20600604 through P20600647

207 20700001 through 20700414 (except
those aircraft with factory installed

24-volt electrical system)
210, T210 21058162 through 21061039 and
T210-0001 through T210-0454

Old September 19th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sep 19, 7:43 am, John wrote:
On Sep 17, 5:10 pm, Andrew Gideon wrote:

I vaguely recall someone mentioning to me once that there was an AD
regarding cigarette lighters in Cessna 172s of some vintage. But I've
searched around trying to find this (including at the FAA web site), and
have failed.

Anyone have pointers (or is this perhaps an "urban myth")?

Thanks...

Andrew

Here is the AD number and list of applicable aircraft from 120 to
T210. I have found I had to perform the service bulletin referenced
in the AD on a CE 177RG even though the AD did not apply. A resistor
in the cigar lighter system was consistently burning up.

The original problem was that the lighter socket went
straight to the bus without any circuit protection whatever, and a
short in that system caused electrical fires. I think the resistor was
in the 177 and some other later Cessnas to drop the 24-volt supply to
12 volts for the standard cigar lighter, and that resistor, carrying
so much current, got pretty hot. Any wires that a later technician
tied up against it would get burned, too.
We have 1-amp fuses in the lighter socket line so that
accessories such as GPS can be plugged into it. We don't allow smoking
in our airplanes. Smoking ruins gyros in short order, too.

Dan

Old September 21st 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sep 19, 9:32 am, Newps wrote:
wrote:
We have 1-amp fuses in the lighter socket line so that
accessories such as GPS can be plugged into it.

When I had my 182 I had the mechanic make the lighter socket work again.
We went with a 10 amp fuse. 1 amp is not enough current.

You must be using the lighter itself. An amp or so is enough
for most electronic doodads. Many of them draw only a few milliamps.

Dan