A little off topic

Old March 29th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred Blair

Default A little off topic

I know this is not a glider question, but it is for a gliderport.

Does anyone know of any pipe other than metal that can withstand 150 psi for
a paint booth application.

I need to run 300 ft. from the compressor to the booth.

Thanks,
Fred

Old March 29th 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kestrel19

On Mar 28, 6:44*pm, "Fred Blair"
wrote:
I know this is not a glider question, but it is for a gliderport.

Does anyone know of any pipe other than metal that can withstand 150 psi for
a paint booth application.

I need to run 300 ft. from the compressor to the booth.

Thanks,
Fred

http://www.ejprescott.com/products/P...Schedule40.pdf
Depends on diameter and temperature, and the volume you require at
that pressure whether you can find a match.
http://ecat.georgfischer.com/mediaco...aa579b2a9fc075
for schedule 80.
Old March 29th 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Mar 28, 8:15*pm, kestrel19 wrote:
On Mar 28, 6:44*pm, "Fred Blair"
wrote:

I know this is not a glider question, but it is for a gliderport.

Does anyone know of any pipe other than metal that can withstand 150 psi for
a paint booth application.

I need to run 300 ft. from the compressor to the booth.

Thanks,
Fred

http://www.ejprescott.com/products/P...Schedule40.pdf
Depends on diameter and temperature, and the volume you require at
that pressure whether you can find a match.http://ecat.georgfischer.com/mediaco...ownloadServlet...
for schedule 80.

150 PSI isn't very much. 4,000 PSI is present in every SCUBA rig, for
instance, and is run in rubber hose; I've seen a lot of small shops
with air piped around and it's always in plastic of some kind. Volume
is an important component as Kestrel points out. It may be cheaper to
run smaller pipe to a small tank at the booth acting as a reservoir so
you can take a higher pressure off the compressor (say 250 PSI) store
that and use a regulator to get the final working pressure at the
booth.
Old March 29th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 28, 5:44*pm, "Fred Blair"
wrote:
I know this is not a glider question, but it is for a gliderport.

Does anyone know of any pipe other than metal that can withstand 150 psi for
a paint booth application.

I need to run 300 ft. from the compressor to the booth.

Thanks,
Fred

I checked in the garage and found 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC rated to
600 PSI at 73 deg F. That seemed high so I looked for some other
samples. I found 1/2 inch with 480 psi and 400 psi ratings.

Andy
Old March 29th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Andy" wrote in message
On Mar 28, 5:44 pm, "Fred Blair"
wrote:
I checked in the garage and found 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC rated to
600 PSI at 73 deg F. That seemed high so I looked for some other
samples. I found 1/2 inch with 480 psi and 400 psi ratings.

Andy

I know it's often done, but you may want to avoid using PVC or similar pipe
for compressed air, especially if it's exposed above ground. Do a Google
search on compressed air, PVC pipe accidents or see:

http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

The problem is that PVC pipe will become brittle with age, UV exposure, oil
contamination or cold temperatures. When it goes bang, the little pieces
become shrapnel.

More expensive, but the save way to go is copper for permanently installed
air lines. Another advantage is that fittings, including threaded etc, are
readily available and soldering is easy.

bumper
zz
QV and MKIII
Minden

Old March 29th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn

"Fred Blair" wrote in message

Does anyone know of any pipe other than metal that can withstand 150 psi
for a paint booth application.

Several folks have suggested PVC pipe, and that is a tempting option
because it is cheap. In fact, a piece of 1.5" schedule that I just
purchased is labeled for 330# pressure, more than double the pressure you
mentioned BUT... That rating is for liquid service. Somewhere, there is
another rating for compressed gas usage of PVC pipe and it will have far
lower numbers. See this OSHA warning for more information:
http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html As OSHA says, the
potential hazard is flying debris from any possible shattering of the pipe.

My opinion:
For a buried installation, I would have no problem with PVC. For exposed
installations, use something else. Years ago, I faced much the same issue
and ended up plumbing my shop with medium diameter air hose. 15 years
later, it still looks like new. (That said, a hose installation may not be
right for a paint booth due to water collecting in low spots. )

Vaughn

Old March 29th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

At 00:44 29 March 2009, Fred Blair wrote:
I know this is not a glider question, but it is for a gliderport.

Does anyone know of any pipe other than metal that can withstand 150 psi

for a paint booth application.

I need to run 300 ft. from the compressor to the booth.

Thanks,
Fred

As Monty Python would say, "And now for something completely different."
It certainly won't be any cheaper, but have you considered stringing
electricity to the other end of the building so you could put the
compressor near the paint booth? You could put in drops for batter
chargers, lights, etc, along the way. Wire may have to be pretty big to
avoid voltage drop.

As others have said, if it is a temporary thing, PVC could work. If it is
a long term plumbing installation, go iron or copper. And unless you are
running pretty big diameter pipe, you will get pretty health pressure
losses, especially if you are running any high volume spray rig. So, you
will have to set considerably higher pressure at your regulator to get the
pressure you need when you pull the trigger and start the air to flowing.

My two cents.

Steve Leonard
Old March 29th 09, 11:52 PM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Leonard[_2_] View Post
[...]

I would advise against having an electric motor or electrical system near a spray booth.
If you are doing this, keep in mind high pressure flammable paint and thinners dont mix well with sparks

Check the frequency of use, a small supply pipe and local resevoir may suit well, as posted above

bagger
Old March 30th 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 29, 8:45*am, "bumper" wrote:
I know it's often done, but you may want to avoid using PVC or similar pipe
for compressed air, especially if it's exposed above ground. Do a Google
search on compressed air, PVC pipe accidents or see:

Interesting references - thanks! This was another case where my
natural procrastination paid off. The air line beween my compressor
and the ceiling mounted hose reel is a piece of standard air hose. I
had been meaning to tidy it up with a neatly installed hard line for
years and had been thinking of using PVC. I'll spend the next
procrastination phase considering copper.

Andy
Old March 30th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Having experienced the exploding pvc pipe, I would have to agree that
it is not a good idea. This was at the original Cirrus Design
factory. It was on the order of 2" dia. and I think rated 400psi. It
lasted a year or two before it let go. There was not an air dryer at
the compressor, which meant that there was certainly some oil in the
line, which as mentioned, is not good for pvc. Also, we felt that the
shock of turning tools on and off contributed to the failure. The
reason we felt this is because it blew right when someone let off the
trigger on a sander. Fortunately, the shrapnel didn't go very far and
no one got hurt (except our ears!).