Hapmat ????

Old November 4th 13, 03:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_4_]

Default Hapmat ????

This image has been sitting on my desktop for about a year now. It's a
screen grab of part of a database of Spitfires exported to Russia during
WW2. I've Googled until I've gone ga-ga trying to figure out what the entry
"Hapmat" means. Is it an acronym, a location code .... or what?

Any ideas, chaps ?
~~
Dingo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hapmat2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	66182
Old November 4th 13, 05:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

"Dingo" wrote in message

This image has been sitting on my desktop for about a year now. It's a
screen grab of part of a database of Spitfires exported to Russia during
WW2. I've Googled until I've gone ga-ga trying to figure out what the
entry
"Hapmat" means. Is it an acronym, a location code .... or what?

Any ideas, chaps ?
~~
Dingo

Quickly checking a couple of the Googlable sources that you've probably
covered ....

Looking at SS Empire Archer and SS Empire Celia, both cargo ships were part
of Convoy JW 63 to deliver Spitfires and other war material to the Kola
Inlet (presumably docking in Murmansk)

Hence, I don't think Hapmat refers to a Persian or Russian airfield, as has
been suggested in other forums (fora ???)

This is only a guess, but I'd say it's the chemical spray-on protective
material that would keep the salt spray out of the plane.

http://www.airteamimages.com/pics/159/159971_800.jpg

Just a thought.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old November 6th 13, 02:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_4_]

"Dave Kearton" wrote in message
"Dingo" wrote in message

[...]

Good lateral thinking there, Dave. I haven't found anything along those
lines, yet, but did turn up in a forum that Hapmat was the code name for
Murmansk. Unable to verify that so far but will continue looking. The answer
is out there somewhere ;~)

http://www.airteamimages.com/pics/159/159971_800.jpg

Thanx for this link .... must be the world's biggest condom ;~))

Regards,
~~
Dingo