FAA to be phasing out "position and hold" in the US

Old March 7th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default FAA to be phasing out "position and hold" in the US

Newps wrote:

It is agreed upon by all parties that it is the largest facilities that
have the problems.

Then why is it that the FAA is implementing this restriction across all
towered airports? Also, are there cases where airports can get a waiver
and continue P&Hs (such is apparently the case of the previous posters
airport)? I am curious why airports such as my class C wouldn't apply for
one, rather than choose to eliminate them per this requirement.

--
Peter
Old March 8th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter R. wrote:

Newps wrote:

It is agreed upon by all parties that it is the largest facilities that
have the problems.

Then why is it that the FAA is implementing this restriction across all
towered airports?

This is actually the second time this has happened. A few months ago,
maybe six, we got a memo from the region asking us to justify why we
need position and hold. Presumably all facilities made their arguments.
They let us continue as normal. But the big facilities continue to
screw up so they are going to make it hard to use. The only problem is
the big facilities won't have to change much, if anything, to keep
qualified to use P&H. Therefore nothing will change.

Also, are there cases where airports can get a waiver
and continue P&Hs (such is apparently the case of the previous posters
airport)? I am curious why airports such as my class C wouldn't apply for
one, rather than choose to eliminate them per this requirement.

A facility will be required to keep all positions in the tower open to
be able to use P&H. For example we have a position called clearance
delivery. It is always combined with ground control. Bingo, no P&H
allowed. That's why virtually no class C's will be using P&H anymore,
they don't keep all their positions open.
Old March 8th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

For example we have a position called clearance delivery. It is always combined with ground control. Bingo, no P&H allowed.

What if the position is eliminated? Then you'd be legal for P&H, no?

Jose
Old March 8th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Newps wrote:

For example we have a position called clearance
delivery. It is always combined with ground control. Bingo, no P&H
allowed. That's why virtually no class C's will be using P&H anymore,
they don't keep all their positions open.

That explains it. At Syracuse, the ground control position is almost
always combined with tower, even during their so called busy periods.

--
Peter
Old March 8th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:
For example we have a position called clearance delivery. It is
always combined with ground control. Bingo, no P&H allowed.

What if the position is eliminated?

Every tower has a clearance delivery position, some staff it, some don't.
Old March 12th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Last Friday afternoon (10 MAR 2006) I was holding short at 17L at PWA, while a
Hawker was on short final. As he touchdown, the tower told me to taxi into
position and hold. I guess we haven't got the word. It was Friday afternoon
and from the sound of things, I think he was the only one in the cab. The
bus-jet were coming home for the weekend and the recreation pilots were get out
of town for the weekend, and we were closed pattern on 17R, and a T-6 from Vance
AFB did a missed approach. The controller was doing a good job of handling the
traffic and TIPH just another tool to get everybody taken care of.

GeorgeC
Old March 14th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Old March 17th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

But I guess for most airports that qualify for this, they will
be doing the paperwork for the waiver, and will be business as usual
for them.

The new rules start Monday. All facilities were told to file for a
waiver, hows that for typical FAA dumbass? Here, we will be eliminating
the cab coordinator position thus obviating the need for a waiver.