Boyington's natural metal corsair?

Old March 29th 04, 04:07 AM
old hoodoo

Default Boyington's natural metal corsair?

I just heard a black sheep state on a history channel program that there was one paint stripped corsair (in which Boyington may have
flown (in addition to other aircraft) in combat?). Upon a comment it might be too easy to see in the air, Boyington's response that
it might attract more Japs to him (for him to shoot down). Anyone ever heard of this story. I don't recall reading about it in
Boyington's book but it might not have been a big deal to him.

AL

Old March 29th 04, 04:32 AM
Ogden Johnson III

"old hoodoo" wrote:

I just heard a black sheep state on a history channel program that there was one paint stripped corsair (in which Boyington may have
flown (in addition to other aircraft) in combat?). Upon a comment it might be too easy to see in the air, Boyington's response that
it might attract more Japs to him (for him to shoot down). Anyone ever heard of this story. I don't recall reading about it in
Boyington's book but it might not have been a big deal to him.

Blasphemy! How *could* you doubt an old VMF-214 pilot's TINS sea
story? Have you no shame? Remember, some day *you'll* be as old
as those remaining WWII-era Black Sheep are. Will you want
anyone doubting *your* sea stories when you hit that age?
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old March 29th 04, 05:30 PM
Elmshoot

Things heard on the History and wings channel need to be taken with a grain of
salt. In the last week or so I have heard them report that Chas Lindbergs
flight to paris in 1927 took 19 hours and that Duke Chuningham was the last Ace
and he shot down 34 planes. You would think someone who listend to that stuff
during editing would at least have some idea about history and say that doesn't
sound right but who knows. Its like the internet if its in print it must be
true. Like all the crap stories about Jane F she is a traitor but lets keep the
story to only the sxxt she really did.
Sparky

Old March 29th 04, 06:29 PM
Ogden Johnson III

(Elmshoot) wrote:

Things heard on the History and wings channel need to be taken with a grain of
salt. In the last week or so I have heard them report that Chas Lindbergs
flight to paris in 1927 took 19 hours and that Duke Chuningham was the last Ace
and he shot down 34 planes. You would think someone who listend to that stuff
during editing would at least have some idea about history and say that doesn't
sound right but who knows. Its like the internet if its in print it must be
true. Like all the crap stories about Jane F she is a traitor but lets keep the
story to only the sxxt she really did.

Apparently some people cannot recognize a chain-pull without
being hit over the head with a ;-.

However, warming up to the things you have brought up.

If one pays attention while watching the
History/Wings/Discovery/A&E empires, one can figure out
relatively easily which producers/production companies generally
put out accurate stuff and which ones don't.

Even that is not enough. Serious historians writing serious
tomes about history have been known to let errors creep in, or
even {gasp!} be biased about the topic they're writing on and
shade their work in the hope of instilling their view of the
topic in the reader.

Solution is the same in both cases. Never rely on a single
source [other, perhaps, than a trusted almanac for raw data on
dates/numbers/etcs.] when you are citing something as recognized
fact.

As to the specific old hoodoo post. I have no idea if what the
Black Sheep pilot, presumably a contemporary who flew with
Boyington in VMF-214, was telling was the truth or not. [If I
ever saw the show, and as a retired Marine I would have if it
came to my attention, that specific item didn't register. Which
suggests that, if I did see the show, it might have been an
off-hand comment, inconsequential in terms of the thrust of the
entire show.] Neither, probably, did the producers, or the
History Channel. All they could do was present the interview as
a FWIW and let the viewer make their own call.
Old March 29th 04, 07:06 PM
Krztalizer

Agree, OJ - it might have been an
off-hand comment, inconsequential in terms of the thrust of the
entire show.] Neither, probably, did the producers, or the
History Channel. All they could do was present the interview as
a FWIW and let the viewer make their own call.

I've seen RAF veterans recall how they witnessed "rocket flak" roaring around
the skies over Berlin in 1944, similar statements about encounters with Me 163s
_at night_. When these guys were young and going through terrifying ordeals,
they saw something that left an indelible imprint, however, it was not what
they thought. But after 6 decades of their minds trying to sort out what it
was, its sometimes impossible (and unkind) to successfully convince the witness
that their memory has failed them.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose AN engine, than THE engine.

Old March 29th 04, 09:05 PM
Ogden Johnson III

nt (Krztalizer) wrote:

Agree, OJ -

it might have been an
off-hand comment, inconsequential in terms of the thrust of the
entire show.] Neither, probably, did the producers, or the
History Channel. All they could do was present the interview as
a FWIW and let the viewer make their own call.

I've seen RAF veterans recall how they witnessed "rocket flak" roaring around
the skies over Berlin in 1944, similar statements about encounters with Me 163s
_at night_. When these guys were young and going through terrifying ordeals,
they saw something that left an indelible imprint, however, it was not what
they thought. But after 6 decades of their minds trying to sort out what it
was, its sometimes impossible (and unkind) to successfully convince the witness
that their memory has failed them.

Just so, Gordon. And it's not even combat memories. I know
damned well that the USN and USMC took Gavabutu and Levu-Vana
islands during WWII, but damned if I can find them in any history
books now. I've even seen the film footage, so I know it
happened.

[OK, I wasn't gonna do it, but in light of how this started ...
Anyone that missed the goiter-sized swelling in my cheek as I
typed the above isn't psychic enough to warrant consideration as
a regular in r.a.m.n. This ain't r.a.m, after all. We can tell
the real from the BS and the tongue-in-cheek here.]
Old March 29th 04, 09:50 PM
Krztalizer

Just so, Gordon. And it's not even combat memories. I know
damned well that the USN and USMC took Gavabutu and Levu-Vana
islands during WWII, but damned if I can find them in any history
books now. I've even seen the film footage, so I know it
happened.

I've seen it to - they used to show that footage regularly, on Veteran's Day.
Usually between showings of "The Longest Day" and "The Sand Pebbles".

[OK, I wasn't gonna do it, but in light of how this started ...
Anyone that missed the goiter-sized swelling in my cheek as I
typed the above isn't psychic enough to warrant consideration as
a regular in r.a.m.n. This ain't r.a.m, after all. We can tell
the real from the BS and the tongue-in-cheek here.]

One would hope. I finally opted out of RAM after the latest assault from
racist, cross-posting nits.. Sooo glad they haven't carried it on into this
forum as well.

v/r
Gordon
Old March 30th 04, 01:30 AM
Mike Kanze

OJ,

I know damned well that the USN and USMC took Gavabutu and Levu-Vana

islands during WWII

Wasn't that the same campaign whose outcome was decided by the surface
action off Cape Titan?

--
Mike Kanze
(Whose arm muscles stay large from occasional femur-tugging.)

Old March 30th 04, 11:19 AM
John Keeney

"Krztalizer" wrote in message
[...]

When I looked at the photos my niece's husband brought back from
Iraq, he had the pictures labeled. One showed three C-17s at some
airport he was making a supply run to labeled as C-5s. As it was a
recent thing, with photos, it was quite easy to correct the identification.
Trying to do the same thing forty years from now working from memory...