another crash

Old September 7th 19, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default another crash

Charlie Quebec wrote on 9/6/2019 5:01 PM:
He felt that any headrest limits the movement of the head for lookout, particularly to the rear, not a matter of blocking the view as mush as limiting head movement.
He is possibly the most experienced instrauctor in the world, with 30,000 hours as a professional paid instructor, and winner of multiple world champs..
It’s been a pleasure flying with a real professional.

I understand he felt that way, but without knowing why he thought that way, or
hearing some specifics of his experiences, I will continue to use a headrest in my
glider. After all, the Schleicher designer (Martin Heide) said it was an important
safety improvement, and I've flown the glider for 25 seasons without vision
impairment. I'm not just making it up :^)

Old September 7th 19, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 8:36:15 PM UTC-7, Charlie Quebec wrote:
In news, some no life low life has reported me to the airworthiness authorities for removing the headrest.
It’s interesting, if a tall pilot removes the seat back with an integrated headrest to fit in the glider, that must be illegal too.
I’m waiting a response from the authority as to whether removing the head rest is allowable ot not.
I can find no reference to it in the manuals, and it’s certainly not required equipment as per the risk.
I wonder if my accuser has the guts to admit it here, or will just crawl back under their rock. Perhaps they can show their source for the claim of illegality?
I’m not holding my breath, this kind of petty pedant is a sad fact of live In the parochial backwater in which I live.
I’m pretty sure I know who it is, and the laughable thing is I know damn well if I was one of his mates, doing an illegal mod, he would have said nothing.

Hey CQ, WHERE is your SO-CALLED VIDEO?
Old September 7th 19, 08:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

THIS IS AS CLOSE AS I can find, the more revealing video, it appears it has been taken down, clearly showing the aerobatic glider striking the ground at a 60 degree angle.
This video only shows the crash up until ground contact even you 2G should be able to work out what happened next.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbulrrQVig
This link shows screen captures from the video showing every stage of the crash.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-runway.html
Stick that where the sun don’t shine.
Old September 7th 19, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

I actually do want to have a headrest, I’m not in any way saying a headrest is not a good thing, just the opposite.
I have a rare form of muscular dystropy that is much aided by correct neck support provided by a decent headrest.
The only glider I have been able to fly for long periods was and LS4 with its large well shaped headrest.
It’s literally the difference between my only being able to fly for a couple of hours maximum and 5 hours maximum.

The nature of my FSH muscular dystrophy that I still have strength in my forearms, so flying isn’t a phisical strength limit, the
limit is the pain I get later after overexertion. It’s very difficult, as my disability is none visible, and despite being told, there is zero help or understanding for my condition amongst my local
administrators, though I have found much more receptive and tolerant people interstate.

I’m sure people at times think I’m lazy, which for someone who has been a doer their entire life, is very frustrating, so I tend to do and regret later,
not to mention the effect pain levels have on my mood.

I can’t stand by and watch someone struggle without helping. Currently I’m suffering an injury from overexertion during a course from helping move a wing, that has me at 8 out of 10 on the pain scale.
It will take several weeks for me to recover and fly again.

I have to carefully manage myself phisically and mentally for flying, and I take it very seriously. I only fly when I’m fit enough, which is rather limiting,
hoping for a good day and one where I do not need to take strong pain relief.
Old September 7th 19, 09:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Correction, the series of pictures was what I originally saw back in 2010, not video apparently,
the video shows events prior to the actual crash, my apologies.
Those who doubt about the canopy departing in a crash should take careful note of the pictures, It clearly departs in an uncontrolled manner.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-runway.html
Old September 7th 19, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 06 Sep 2019 20:32:19 -0600, BobW wrote:

Kinda makes you wonder how's come the stories of gliders being able to
"sneak up" on soaring birds in flight! There might BE something to this
situational awareness theory!

I put that down to birds that regularly soar in flocks (gulls, kites,
vultures) having good, and quite obvious, traffic awareness while
solitary raptors don't. When I've had gulls join my thermal they've
always turned the same way as me but three times now I've had a smallish
hawk (kestrel or similar) come round the thermal the wrong way, suddenly
spot my glider about the same time I saw them, close wings and plummet.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old September 7th 19, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Check the type certificate data sheet for your glider and the equipment
list.Â* The TCDS for my Stemme said words something like, "Everything in
the equipment list PLUS a canopy breaker tool".

There was no canopy breaker tool in my 12-year old ship when I imported
it into the US and the Designated Airworthiness Representative issued an
Airworthiness Certificate for the ship, anyway.

As soon as I noticed the requirement, I installed a canopy breaker in
the cockpit.Â* Perhaps you'll find similar wording about the headrest or
lack of same.Â* With no stated requirement, I'd argue with the
authorities.Â* Probably a losing battle, but one worth fighting.

On 9/6/2019 9:36 PM, Charlie Quebec wrote:
[...]

Dan, 5J
Old September 7th 19, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, September 7, 2019 at 12:50:44 AM UTC-7, Charlie Quebec wrote:
THIS IS AS CLOSE AS I can find, the more revealing video, it appears it has been taken down, clearly showing the aerobatic glider striking the ground at a 60 degree angle.
This video only shows the crash up until ground contact even you 2G should be able to work out what happened next.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbulrrQVig
This link shows screen captures from the video showing every stage of the crash.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-runway.html
Stick that where the sun don’t shine.

I beg to differ: this video (which I have seen before) does not show the impact at all, which is blocked by the crowd. It is apparent that the wing tip strikes first, then the fuselage. This is not a "frontal impact," but a cart-wheel, which is survivable as the wing is taking most of the energy. A friend of mine survived such an impact in the Alvord Desert with basically no injuries.

The physics are pretty simply: gliders don't have a crush zone - your feet and legs are the crush zone. A vertical impact is not survivable, but a shallow angled crash can be. Here is an example of the former:
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=FA
https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/61500-61...854/620585.pdf
and here is an example of the later:
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=CA
https://www.danlj.org/~danlj/Soaring...hrop-12-17.pdf
Both of these pilots were friends of mine (Bill Gawthrop succumbed to cancer last year).

Tom

Old September 7th 19, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Then you have reading comprehension of vision problems, the photos show a small impact on the wing and clearly from the damage, the bulk of the force was on the nose, you can tell clearly from the pictures where the main forces were.
The whole sequence is there. By all means though, keep up your amusing attempt to deflect.
Old September 7th 19, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dan Marotta wrote on 9/7/2019 7:06 AM:
As soon as I noticed the requirement, I installed a canopy breaker in the
cockpit.* Perhaps you'll find similar wording about the headrest or lack of same.
With no stated requirement, I'd argue with the authorities.* Probably a losing
battle, but one worth fighting.

What does a canopy breaker look like? I've never heard of one.

ASG-29 Crash [email protected] Soaring 0 September 27th 16 03:59 PM
UPS 747-400 crash D Ramapriya Piloting 0 September 4th 10 04:04 AM
Anyone know anything about this crash? [email protected] Soaring 2 July 28th 08 01:44 PM
vampire or venom crash pic - wx904 crash.jpg (1/1) [email protected] Aviation Photos 4 January 1st 07 07:30 PM
vampire or venom crash pic - wx904 crash.jpg (0/1) [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 December 30th 06 05:57 PM