NAS Pensacola vulnerability IVAN

Old September 12th 04, 07:59 AM
old hoodoo

Default NAS Pensacola vulnerability IVAN

I am concerned that the National Museum of Naval Aviation in
Pensacola 1750 Radford Blvd. may be very vulnerable to Ivan that is
currently projected to hit Pensacola. This is a fantastic musuem with
many many priceless unique aircraft that appears (if I read the maps
right) to be just barely above the surge level but perhaps not the
waves that might be ten to twelve feet higher and it appears to have no
protection from the Gulf as there is a gap in the barrier Islands in
which waves are going to funnel through and head straight for the
Museum. It is very close to the water. I have read that in the past the
NAS has received significant hurricane damage. Can anyone reassure me
that it can withstand a direct 4-5 hurricane hit without being
devastated? There is no question that the area to the east of the
museum is going to get severly flooded and perhaps wiped out
if they get a direct hit as most of this area is vulnerable to the surge
of even a category 2 hurricane.
Anyone live there familiar with the Museum's exposure/protections
to violent weather and high waves? And they just got "my" Brewster
Buffalo there....it may have been better off staying in the quiet depths
of that Russian lake.

Al

Old September 12th 04, 10:35 AM
Allen Epps

In article , old hoodoo
wrote:

[...]

No fear to the museum from waves. The cut at the barrier island is
actually a ways away (as is Pensacola bay) and the museum is further
inland and higher (field is 33 feet IIRC) than you would think.
Certainly wind and rain could do some damage but the building is pretty
darn new and the building codes in Florida were instituted with
Hurricanes in mind. When I was stationed there the one hurricane that
came through I missed as I had to hurrivac a TA-4.
Pugs
Old September 12th 04, 02:26 PM

"old hoodoo" wrote in message
[...]

NO!
Cat.'s 4 and 5 are known as catastrophic for a reason, just hope it
doesn't come ashore during high tide.

Old September 13th 04, 12:39 AM
vincent p. norris

No fear to the museum from waves. The cut at the barrier island is
actually a ways away (as is Pensacola bay) and the museum is further
inland and higher (field is 33 feet IIRC) than you would think.
Certainly wind and rain could do some damage but the building is pretty
darn new and the building codes in Florida were instituted with
Hurricanes in mind.

Good news, but is the navy bound by civilian building codes?

A hurrcane blew through Pensacola while I was in Preflight, more
than half a century ago. Don't kow how strong it was; no names or
strengths were assigned in those days. But we sat it out in old wood
barracks, so I guess it wasn't too powerful.

vince norris
Old September 13th 04, 12:45 AM
Larry

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
No fear to the museum from waves. The cut at the barrier island is
actually a ways away (as is Pensacola bay) and the museum is further
inland and higher (field is 33 feet IIRC) than you would think.
Certainly wind and rain could do some damage but the building is pretty
darn new and the building codes in Florida were instituted with
Hurricanes in mind.

Good news, but is the navy bound by civilian building codes?

No, But Public Works prefers to follow local code (and add to it as
required) for obvoius reasons.

Larry

Old September 13th 04, 05:38 AM
John Keeney

"Allen Epps" wrote in message
et...
In article , old hoodoo
wrote:

[...]

There was a substantial hurricane down there that made a
pretty good pass at the museum back about 2000. That
was before I made my visit and it looked pretty good then.

Old September 13th 04, 12:40 PM
matheson31

It sure was prior to 2000. Actually the last hurricanes went through here
in August and October of 1995. Both mad landfall about 40 miles East of
Pensacola proper, so about 65 miles from the museum. Haven't had one since.

Ivan just might be the next one to hit here. Currently forecast to make
landfall at the Perdido river (about 10 miles West of the museum).
--
Les Matheson
F-4C(WW)/D/E/G(WW), AC-130A, MC-130E WSO/EWO (ret)

"John Keeney" wrote in message

"Allen Epps" wrote in message
et...
In article , old hoodoo
wrote:

[...]

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old September 24th 04, 06:16 PM
bci

Pensacola News Journal now has aerial photos of NAS taken on 9/23.

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/.../aerial1.shtml

B. C. Ilfled