What sunglasses are best for flying gliders?

Old October 27th 17, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default What sunglasses are best for flying gliders?

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 7:33:19 AM UTC-4, Jim Kellett wrote:
On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 2:27:58 PM UTC-4, Jonathan Foster wrote:
Are there any sunglasses that seem to work really well for flying?

snip

Without a doubt, the Suntiger Aviator from Elton Optical in Las Vegas, the non-polarized version. Not only can you see the instruments, but the ultraviolet and blue-blocking tint actually makes it easier to see through haze AND makes the little "pre-cumulus" wisps visible! Been using them for two decades now. Perfect for the soaring pilot.

The deal breaker is: you lose all ability to distinguish shades of green. I can easily identify a cut hay field by color alone at 8 miles. But not with Sun Tigers.

You can capture most of the advantages being talked about with other, less radical tints that preserve enough color vision to be useful.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8
Old October 27th 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 6:55:05 AM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
[...]

Which is why the Zeiss, Randolph Engineering, Serengeti's, Ray Ban's are all brownish. And all the aforementioned are great aviation glasses. Through the 30 years I have been flying I have used all the above, plus Suntigers.. I would say for me, the Sun Tigers were just a step below the above mentioned, and apparently the market agrees.
Old October 27th 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Aviator Sunglasses = Sunglasses + more money.

Just like Aviator wris****ches.

Try out different glasses and get what work for you.Â* If they happen to
be "Aviator" then enjoy them, but don't be fooled by a label.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 27th 17, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

This is a, "ask 20 peeps, get 20 answers....".

Your polarization may have been off 90*.

I like, and use, Serengeti Strara glasses. The tint allows decent color rendition (as Tango8 stated) as well as seeing wispies forming.
I like them, you may not.

Find what YOU like, screw the rest. Use other suggestions as a guideline.

There is no "majic bullet", your eyes will give guidance.
Old October 28th 17, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Years ago I had Suntigers made to my prescription. It got pricey to change them every time my prescription changed. I contacted them and had a pair of clip-on’s made. Never looked back and never felt the need to change after that.
Barry
Old October 28th 17, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bojack J4

How much $$$ for Zeiss sunglasses?....if it's anything like their binoculars.....zowee!! Expensive.
Old October 28th 17, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Regardless of type of sunglasses you get, get ones with lenses that block blue light. Many bird species have colored oil droplets inside their retinal cells. Guess what color those oil droplets are? Yep, pretty much the same range of browns, oranges, copper colors that one finds in various "blue-blocking" sunglasses like Serengeti, Suntiger, etc. Those oil droplets do for birds what our blue blocking sunglasses do for us.

Old October 29th 17, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Saturday, 28 October 2017 17:03:36 UTC+3, Bojack J4 wrote:
How much $$$ for Zeiss sunglasses?....if it's anything like their binoculars.....zowee!! Expensive.

Zeiss Skylet is lens technology, there is no fixed price as that depend on what frame you put lenses on, do you need prescription, anti-glare surface, hardened surface etc.

I bought mine with prescription, all possible surface treatments, high-end sports frames (they weigh nothing and stay on no matter how sweaty you are), for around 600 eur. Very expensive, but I'm very happy with them. Flew 20 years with clip-ons, never again.
Old October 29th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 11:27:58 AM UTC-7, Jonathan Foster wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a fairly cheap pair of sunglasses. When I put them on in my glider all of my instruments magically went black. Unbeknownst to me, the lenses are polarized.

Are there any sunglasses that seem to work really well for flying?

I like to replace my flying glasses each year, and therefor want something that is quality, but not outrageously priced. I also like polarized, as it makes other gliders much easier to see (as well as wisps, etc.). Finally, I am old enough that I need readers to see the instrument panel (I wear contacts for distance vision).

I have found that SunCloud meets all these criteria for me. I can get them off the shelf from Amazon for about $80 and the optics are great. Many styles available, but I prefer "Conductor" as they wrap around. See link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Suncloud-Cond...ncloud+readers
Old October 29th 17, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 9:33:38 AM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

REI also sells Sun Clouds, but not readers. I have a pair and they are nice reasonably priced sun glasses.