Human factors RECKLESSNESS

Old April 28th 05, 09:36 PM
Trent Moorehead

I my-self wake up every day and am very
thankful that I don't have to stick a needle in my arm or suck something

up
my nose to get that rush, I have many many other activity's like flying to
get that feeling.

My personal take on this is that I try to avoid adrenalin rushes while I'm
flying. Adrenalin is usually predicated by the phrase, "Oh Sh*t!", which
like I said, I try to avoid in an airplane.

I do get a rush of sorts when I take off, but the rest is more a feeling of
satisfaction.

YMMV of course.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old April 28th 05, 10:00 PM
Andrew Gideon

Trent Moorehead wrote:

I do get a rush of sorts when I take off, but the rest is more a feeling
of satisfaction.

I felt a rush the first time I flew into a cloud. The goal was to reach the
point where it *doesn't* cause a rush, however.

"Satisfaction"? That's a good label for what's left, yes.

- Andrew

Old April 28th 05, 10:36 PM
Matt Whiting

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Smutny wrote:

Dude, you really need to step back and take a good look at what you're
exhibiting here.

You know, NW didn't need to post that he was doing aerobatics in a
*nonaerobatic* airplane. He convinced me a while back that he posts for
the shock value, and likely enjoys the huge response he generates as much
as he enjoys doing inappropriate things in/to aircraft.

I've enjoyed some of the resulting conversation (it never occurred to me
that an inadvertent roll might short the battery's terminals, for example),
but let's not give him the reward he craves. It just feeds his addiction,
and he'll be back for more.

- Andrew

Well, if the poster who said he was sending the video to his local FSDO
really does that and wasn't just bluffing, then we may not have to hear
of his aviation recklessness too much longer.

Matt
Old April 28th 05, 11:32 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Smutny wrote:

Dude, you really need to step back and take a good look at what you're
exhibiting here.

You know, NW didn't need to post that he was doing aerobatics in a
*nonaerobatic* airplane. He convinced me a while back that he posts for
the shock value, and likely enjoys the huge response he generates as much
as he enjoys doing inappropriate things in/to aircraft.

I've enjoyed some of the resulting conversation (it never occurred to me
that an inadvertent roll might short the battery's terminals, for
example),
but let's not give him the reward he craves. It just feeds his addiction,
and he'll be back for more.

- Andrew

I have a slightly different take on posters ho post information like this
one did.

I take the post and use it exactly as I did here to make it a negative
example for any student who happens along the path. By doing this, even if
it is a troll, it serves a positive purpose, and posting with a positive
purpose is the only reason why most pilots and instructors who want to see
students get the right information post here to begin with. :-)

So it's a win win situation. The students win, and hopefully the initial
poster learns something, even if he doesn't say so in print. And who cares
really if the initial poster admits he learns something in public. It's what
he does in the privacy of his own cockpit that will determine if the message
got across to him. If he was a troll, then the students reading both his
post and the answers it generated should serve a very useful purpose.
I'm a firm believer in using all the available tools in the bag to keep
people alive in airplanes........trolls included! :-)))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired
dhenriquestrashatearthlinktrashdotnet
(take out the trash :-)

Old April 28th 05, 11:38 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:43:37 GMT, jsmith wrote in
::

Robert A "Bob" Hoover was a military and civilian pilot that did things
with airplanes others said couldn't be done.

Comparing Steven Lee Rhine to Bob Hoover is like comparing baby Bush
to an articulate statesman such as FDR of Churchill. Totally non
sequitur.

Old April 28th 05, 11:53 PM
Andrew Gideon

Dudley Henriques wrote:

I take the post and use it exactly as I did here to make it a negative
example for any student who happens along the path.

I liked your approach. Many others have taken a different approach. The
difference is that you used this as an example for others, while others
have attempted to directly attempt to disuade the OP.

I think the latter a losing proposition in this particular case.

- Andrew

Old April 29th 05, 12:16 AM
Dudley Henriques

Dudley Henriques wrote:

I take the post and use it exactly as I did here to make it a negative
example for any student who happens along the path.

I liked your approach. Many others have taken a different approach. The
difference is that you used this as an example for others, while others
have attempted to directly attempt to disuade the OP.

I think the latter a losing proposition in this particular case.

- Andrew

Without knowing anything but what I have read from the IP, I would tend to
agree with your assessment. But I don't blame those who have tried to set
him straight. In matters of flight safety , I will always opt for even the
slightest chance at setting someone straight on something as important as an
issue like this. If it's a waste of time for the IP, at least you can bounce
off him to get through to someone else who might be more receptive to common
sense.
It's been my experience through the years that taking the time to deal with
issues like this one can pay off big time. After all, if you manage to save
just one life by stopping long enough to shed a bit of light on the truth,
it makes this whole Usenet thing worth while...at least for me anyway :-)
But you're right. It tries my patience sometimes doing it! :-)

Old April 29th 05, 12:26 AM
NW_PILOT

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Andrew Gideon wrote:

Smutny wrote:

[...]

It's funny how you all think I did this in my airplane my airplane is blue &
white not red.

Old April 29th 05, 12:57 AM
NW_PILOT

Larry , you may want to read back on some other postings when I was looking
for spin training a lot of people from this group told me to just go out and
do it on my own. That was beyond my comfort level so I seek training in it
and you all flame away be my guest flame away. You yourself already assume
way to much.

You assume that was done in my airplane or one of pearson's airplanes well
your wrong. Look at the color of the airplane sure as hell is not blue and
white so is not my airplane and I will not rent pearson's POS death traps.

The maneuvers were done with a competent instructor in a very unpopulated
area at high altitude.

I fell more confident now that if I ever get in to spin "I know" I will know
how to recover if I ever get in to wake turbulence or in to a tail stall and
end up inverted or rolled I know that I can initiate the proper recovery
that is needed to survive.

That was my point!!!

Old April 29th 05, 01:01 AM
Toņo

Dudley Henriques wrote:

[...]

I like the way you *spin* things, Dudley ! ;-)

Antonio