Rogue's Gallery Update -- Talk about diversity!

Old May 3rd 05, 04:29 PM
Jose

I understand. Thirty two aircraft is a lot of aircraft to try to count
by hand. Even if you used your feet, you still come up short by 12
digits.

I can count to more than a thousand on my fingers.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old May 3rd 05, 04:39 PM
Peter R.

Jose wrote:

I can count to more than a thousand on my fingers.

Man, that's a lot of fingers. Maybe next time Jay will hire you to
provide this group with the Rogue's Gallery statistics.

--
Peter

Old May 3rd 05, 05:02 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Jose wrote:
I understand. Thirty two aircraft is a lot of aircraft to try to count
by hand. Even if you used your feet, you still come up short by 12
digits.

I can count to more than a thousand on my fingers.

*NEAT* trick. Most people run out of _fingers_ at a binary count of 256.

Are you related to Hemingway's cats? grin

Old May 3rd 05, 05:08 PM
Chris Colohan

Jose writes:
I understand. Thirty two aircraft is a lot of aircraft to try to count
by hand. Even if you used your feet, you still come up short by 12
digits.

I can count to more than a thousand on my fingers.

Me too.

For those who are curious, here is how, with my rough approximation of
a pair of hands in ASCII art:

[dot is finger down, stick is finger up]

.... ....
..OOOO OOOO. 0

.... ....
..OOOO OOOO/ 1

.... ...|
..OOOO OOOO. 2

.... ...|
..OOOO OOOO/ 3

.... ..|.
..OOOO OOOO. 4

.... ..|.
..OOOO OOOO/ 5

.... ..||
..OOOO OOOO. 6

.... ..||
..OOOO OOOO/ 7

.... .|..
..OOOO OOOO. 8

.... .|..
..OOOO OOOO/ 9

.... .|.|
..OOOO OOOO. 10

.... .|.|
..OOOO OOOO/ 11

.... .||.
..OOOO OOOO. 12

.... .||.
..OOOO OOOO/ 13

.... .|||
..OOOO OOOO. 14

.... .|||
..OOOO OOOO/ 15

....etc...

|||| ||||
\OOOO OOOO/ 1023

It is a binary encoding. I use this to teach CS undergrads how to
count in binary -- they quickly become amused by the numbers 4, 128
and 132.

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: PGP: finger
Web:
Old May 3rd 05, 06:12 PM
Montblack

("Jose" wrote)
I can count to more than a thousand on my fingers.

I can multiply by 9's up to 9x10 on my fingers - oh boy!

Hey, whatever gets you through third grade!!

(Hands down on desk)
LLLL (L-THUMB) (R-THUMB) RRRR

#...means to tuck under that finger - then count up the fingers on either
side of the tucked under finger.

[9x1]
# LLL(L) (R)RRRR .......0+9 = 9

[9x2]
L # LL(L) (R)RRRR .....1+8 = 18

[9x3]
LL # L(L) (R)RRRR .......2+7 = 27

[9x4]
LLL # (L) (R)RRRR .......3+6 = 36

[9x5]
LLLL (#) (R)RRRR ........4+5 = 45
(Tuck under the L thumb)

[9x6]
LLLL(L) (#) RRRR ........5+4 = 54
(Tuck under the R thumb)

[9x7]
LLLL(L) (R) # RRR .......6+3 = 63

[9x8]
LLLL(L) (R)R # RR .......7+2 = 72

[9x9]
LLLL(L) (R)RR # R .......8+1 = 81

[9x10]
LLLL(L) (R)RRR # .......9+0 = 90

Montblack
(Mmm ...7 of 9)

Old May 3rd 05, 07:46 PM
Peter Duniho

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
I can count to more than a thousand on my fingers.

*NEAT* trick. Most people run out of _fingers_ at a binary count of 256.

I presume that he's counting his thumb as a finger, as do most people.

I can just see the delivery room scene:

Doctor: "Congratulations, your baby has eight fingers!"

Mother: "Oh my god! The ultrasound showed a perfectly normal fetus!"

Doctor: "...and two thumbs."

Mother: "(*&^#$^* Okay, Dr. Idiot...why don't you just come a little closer
here..."

Old May 3rd 05, 09:38 PM
Jay Honeck

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
Jay,

I recently had to change isp's, so the links to my company website

and my
memorial to my father, Dad's Flying Stories, are no longer valid.

The new
addresses are http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/ and
http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/Dad.html respectively.

Roger that, Bob. I've made the changes...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 4th 05, 03:19 AM
George Patterson

Peter R. wrote:

AHEM indeed ...

Well, as long as we're critiquing, there's only *one* Maule M-7 on the site. It
belongs to M. Powell. Mine was an MX-7. Different plane.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old May 4th 05, 04:07 AM
Montblack

("George Patterson" wrote)
Well, as long as we're critiquing, there's only *one* Maule M-7 on the
site. It belongs to M. Powell. Mine was an MX-7. Different plane.

What is different between the Maul MX-7 and the Maul M-7?

Montblack