Fly a P51 Mustang?

Old May 2nd 05, 04:07 PM
Michael 182

Default Fly a P51 Mustang?

Something Dudley said in the Leaving Usenet thread got me thinking about
flying a P51. I found www.stallion51.com as an option. Does anyone have any
personal experience or know of any dual control Mustangs that offer a chance
to fly them?

Thanks,

Michael

Old May 2nd 05, 05:10 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Michael 182" wrote in message
Something Dudley said in the Leaving Usenet thread got me thinking about
flying a P51. I found www.stallion51.com as an option. Does anyone have
any personal experience or know of any dual control Mustangs that offer a
chance to fly them?

Thanks,

Michael

You will find Lee Lauderback's operation a very good one.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired
dhenriquestrashatearthlinktrashdotnet
(take out the trash :-)

Old May 2nd 05, 05:25 PM
Marco Leon

I happened to have called them for prices two weeks back. For a three-hour
package including preflight and debrief with 1 hour's flight time it will
run just under $3,000. That and a flight in an L-39 is on my list of things
to do before I die.

Marco Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 2nd 05, 06:21 PM
Peter Duniho

"Michael 182" wrote in message
Something Dudley said in the Leaving Usenet thread got me thinking about
flying a P51. I found www.stallion51.com as an option. Does anyone have
any personal experience or know of any dual control Mustangs that offer a
chance to fly them?

A friend of mine flew with them a few years ago, had a blast. I'm not aware
of any other places that offer dual-control Mustangs (or even two-seat
Mustangs, for that matter), but that's not to say they aren't out there (the
Stallion 51 web site says there are 11 others somewhere).

I've only heard good things about Stallion 51.

Pete

Old May 2nd 05, 09:54 PM
gregg

Peter Duniho wrote:

"Michael 182" wrote in message
Something Dudley said in the Leaving Usenet thread got me thinking about
flying a P51. I found www.stallion51.com as an option. Does anyone have
any personal experience or know of any dual control Mustangs that offer a
chance to fly them?

A friend of mine flew with them a few years ago, had a blast. I'm not
aware of any other places that offer dual-control Mustangs (or even
two-seat Mustangs, for that matter), but that's not to say they aren't out
there (the Stallion 51 web site says there are 11 others somewhere).

I've only heard good things about Stallion 51.

Pete

Pete,

It used to be, not so long ago, that the Dixie Air Wing (maybe other's ) of
the Commemorative Air Force would sell rides.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Old May 2nd 05, 10:05 PM
gregg

Michael 182 wrote:

Something Dudley said in the Leaving Usenet thread got me thinking about
flying a P51. I found www.stallion51.com as an option. Does anyone have
any personal experience or know of any dual control Mustangs that offer a
chance to fly them?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael,

the Dixie Wing (Georgia) gives P-51 rides, according to their web page:

http://www.dixiewing.org/aircraft_rides/p51_rides.htm

IIRC they travel a little, to different areas. And there are other wings of
the Commenmorative Air Force scatttered about. but I don't know about
rides.

Dixie Wing provides rides of other sorts as well - for example open cockpit
rides 9as they call them) The web page lists them.

Old May 2nd 05, 11:38 PM
RomeoMike

I flew with Lee Lauderbach in Crazy Horse in 1995. It cost $1700 then. I
was given several flying options and chose an aerobatic experience. The
whole operation was very professional. There was a preflight briefing,
followed by the flight and a debrief afterward. The flight started by
learning how to taxi the P51 (or in this case TF51). Lee did the takeoff
for obvious reasons, and after gaining a very little altitude and a lot
of speed, he pulled to nearly vertical (probably wasn't as vertical as
it seemed at the time...I was too excited, and the maneuver was
unexpected, so I only recount my quickly formed impression). After
reaching altitude I was familiarized with the flight controls, including
three axes of trim and the power and rpm settings to be used. Then the
plane was turned over to me, and he had me demonstrate what I could do,
starting with standard turns and progressing through wing overs, barrel
rolls with different offsets, loops, Cubans, 2-point and four-point
rolls (I failed at 8-points), and stalls (very benign in the P-51 BTW).
Then he got permission to enter some sort of inactive military training
area where there was an airfield with bogus tanks and Migs parked all
around. Made a high speed pass over the runway at 50 ft., then to
altitude, split-s, and strafing runs with victory rolls. Back to
Kissimmee, rolling and looping on the way, military arrival at the
airport, and he talked me through a landing, which I bounced a bit. At
the debrief I was given a tape with sound of the whole thing and a
signed photo of Crazy Horse. Also, Lee entered 1.3 hours of TF-51 PIC
time in my logbook (I know, it doesn't make me a fighter pilot). My
impressions: One of the most fun experiences of my life, a dream come
true, very professional, the P-51 is a surpringly stable airplane, I'd
love to do it again, gives me pleasure to think about it. Maybe that's
more than you wanted to know :-)

Old May 2nd 05, 11:59 PM
Michael 182

"RomeoMike" wrote in message
I flew with Lee Lauderbach in Crazy Horse in 1995. snip, I'd love to do
it again, gives me pleasure to think about it. Maybe that's more than you
wanted to know :-)

That's exactly what I wanted to know - good write-up, and thanks!

Michael

Old May 3rd 05, 12:33 AM
iflyatiger

I was going to mention that I had spoke to a fellow at sun and fun this year
that was offering rides in a P-51 at sun and fun.
I had forgotten the name of his group until you posted this. I think it was
them.. The 20 minute flight was somewhere around $700. I was going to do it
but they were booked solid. He said he was based south of Atlanta. One
important thing I didnt get to ask him was if the Mustang was dual control.
If anyone knows this please post it.

Jon

Old May 3rd 05, 01:27 AM
Blueskies

"iflyatiger" wrote in message ...
I was going to mention that I had spoke to a fellow at sun and fun this year
that was offering rides in a P-51 at sun and fun.
I had forgotten the name of his group until you posted this. I think it was
them.. The 20 minute flight was somewhere around $700. I was going to do it
but they were booked solid. He said he was based south of Atlanta. One
important thing I didnt get to ask him was if the Mustang was dual control.
If anyone knows this please post it.

Jon

I almost went for a ride quite a number of years ago, but backed out when I found out that I would not be able to even
feel the controls. Would have been a great ride, but $350 (like I said, a long time ago) for 20-30 minutes so I decided
to just watch... :-(