Flying from Florida to California - Need suggestions

Old May 4th 05, 07:48 PM
Amandasdaddy

Default Flying from Florida to California - Need suggestions

Thanks for reading -

I'm new to this forum but found a lot of information! I am buying a
172RG II in Miami Beach area and will be flying solo back to San Jose,
california on May 19th.
My planned route is through the gulf, through New Orleans, Texas,
Arizona and then back to San Jose (KRHV).

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as far as the route, or
things to avoid? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Brian

Old May 4th 05, 08:10 PM
Peter R.

Amandasdaddy wrote:

My planned route is through the gulf, through New Orleans, Texas,
Arizona and then back to San Jose (KRHV).

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as far as the route, or
things to avoid? Any thoughts are appreciated!

My recommendation would be to avoid flying that far over the Gulf of
Mexico, especially in an aircraft whose actual maintenance was not
under your supervision prior to the trip. Looking at Jeppesen's
FlightStar, remaining over land (up Fla, then over the pan handle) adds
about 16 percent more distance and time to the trip. Is the risk of
going down in the middle of the Gulf worth the 50 to 60 minutes of
extra flying time?

I am also planned a cross country trip from upstate NY to Palm Springs,
California for late May. My route is going to take me down through
Texas, straight across New Mexico and Arizona, then over the border
into CA and Palm Springs. This route will avoid the higher peaks of
the Rockies.

Take a lot of pictures and post the story to a website, then share it
here. I would be interested in reading of your experience.

--
Peter

Old May 4th 05, 08:25 PM
Amandasdaddy

Peter - I agree - I was modifying my route to avoid the water and take
a safer route. It would only add about 30-60 minutes or so - and is
well worth the peace of mind that I am not gonna be doing much swimming
if the worst case happened.
So I would fly along the coast of Florida, and maybe stopping in New
Orleans (KNEW). Then it would be a trek through Texas and into the
Phoenix area. From there i could do a day trip from Phoneix to KRHV in
San Jose.
I was thinking that staying out of the high mountains would be good
too.

Anyone have experience with weather conditions in these areas at this
time of year?

Old May 4th 05, 08:41 PM

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as far as the route, or
things to avoid? Any thoughts are appreciated!

As others have already stated, I would avoid flying over the water.

Also, as I understand the mountains along the southern route are not as
tall. I think I would plan the Southern route (along the 8 freeway) then
cut north and go through the Palm Springs area. Of course, this is the
area I always fly anyway so I am more comfortable with it.

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL
Old May 4th 05, 09:29 PM
Robert M. Gary

I would stick to the south and cross into California near Blythe. Then
go up the L.A. valley and over the grapevine and up through Fresno.
I've crossed the Sierras many times in my Mooney but I often have to
get over 16,000 feet to stay out of the clouds. You probably don't want
to go into the clouds over the Sierras, it can be pretty bumpy.

-Robert

Old May 4th 05, 10:17 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Amandasdaddy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Peter - I agree - I was modifying my route to avoid the water and take
a safer route. It would only add about 30-60 minutes or so - and is
well worth the peace of mind that I am not gonna be doing much swimming
if the worst case happened.
So I would fly along the coast of Florida, and maybe stopping in New
Orleans (KNEW). Then it would be a trek through Texas and into the
Phoenix area. From there i could do a day trip from Phoneix to KRHV in
San Jose.
I was thinking that staying out of the high mountains would be good
too.

Anyone have experience with weather conditions in these areas at this
time of year?

There are really only three kinds of weather along the gulf and through
Texas this time of year.

A. The short period before thunderstorms.
B. Thunderstorms
C. The short period after thunderstorms.

Old May 4th 05, 10:24 PM
Amandasdaddy

I heard it is better to fly early in the morning in these areas and be
grounded by arond noonish before the weather gets ugly. Does that
sound about right?

I'm thinking it might take me more than 3-4 days to get back
home...Is that too aggressive of a goal? Florida to San Jose in 3-4
days?

Thanks

Old May 4th 05, 10:43 PM
Dan Thompson

I fly between Texas and So. Fla. all the time. I make a turn at HEVVN
intersection, which keeps me out of the ADIZ and within comfortable distance
of the coast. Not really within gliding range at all times but within easy
range of the Coast Guard in case of a MayDay. Plus I can call up Flight
Watch and report in "15 miles west of HEVVN."

Old May 4th 05, 10:46 PM
Nathan Young

On 4 May 2005 11:48:05 -0700, "Amandasdaddy"
wrote:

Thanks for reading -

I'm new to this forum but found a lot of information! I am buying a
172RG II in Miami Beach area and will be flying solo back to San Jose,
california on May 19th.
My planned route is through the gulf, through New Orleans, Texas,
Arizona and then back to San Jose (KRHV).

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as far as the route, or
things to avoid? Any thoughts are appreciated!

General advice:

1. Don't fly over large bodies of water in an unfamiliar plane.
2. Don't fly at night.
3. Don't fly in IMC.
4. Fly high. Glide range is your friend.

I follow all these rules when my own plane gets out of maintenance. I
certainly would follow them for a plane that is new to you.

-Nathan

Old May 4th 05, 10:46 PM
John Galban

Amandasdaddy wrote:

Anyone have experience with weather conditions in these areas at this
time of year?

For the lowest route with the least mountains, follow I-10 from west
Texas to Palm Springs.

As for weather, it's warming up already, so you can expect regular
afternoon turbulence from El Paso to Palm Springs. Usually continuous
light to moderate chop to about 10,000 ft., sometimes higher if it's
really hot. The good news is that it's currently the dry season in
the southwest deserts. You'll see occasional isolated thunderstorms
scattered about, but the real action doesn't start up until the monsoon
season arrives in early July.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)