I Will Never Understand Wind

Old May 10th 05, 02:02 AM
Matt Barrow

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:NaVee.54780$NU4.23676@attbi_s22...
I also remember the many reputable "researchers" claiming that all the

"oil
will be gone by the year 2000." (Actually, some were claiming 1990.)

When I was in school in the 1970s/80s, it was given as being about 300

years
so I'm not sure where the "by the year 1990" came from.

Paul Erlich.

Old May 10th 05, 02:03 AM
Matt Barrow

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
And, is global warming really a bad thing? 2/3rd of the earth is largely
uninhabitable due to COLD.

Isn't that more down to the fact that it's wet? :-)

Unfortunately for the places where humans live at the moment, it
just means different - more storms, more floods, more droughts,

IIRC, a warmer climate would also be wetter, particularly in the growing
areas. Droughts are, OTOH, more local, I believe.

etc. With regard to here in the UK, it seems that the weather used
to be best ("summer" weather) in July and August. Now it seems that
the best weather here is in May and June, with July, August and
September being quite wet, with frequent thunderstorms. Sort of thing
you see in sub-tropical areas! Various sub-tropical creatures which
could previously only be found in the far south of the country are
starting to be found further north.

A longer growing season (see above).

This cannot be totally blamed on man-made warming...indeed the
earth's temperature closely follows solar activity if I remember
correctly. But in support of the man made change, records were
studied from the past 300 years or so. it shows a strong correlation
between solar activity and average earth temperatures - the two went
up and down together...until the Industrial Revolution, when the two
lines started diverging in the same proportion to the estimated global
production of man-made carbon dioxide.

I believe ice cores tell a much different story. Also, satellite temps,
taken away from heat islands indicate slight cooling over the past 15-20. ??

Old May 10th 05, 04:05 AM
Jay Honeck

It's always interesting to see at which point the arguments change from
"you" to "you and your ilk". Time to leave the discussion.

Sorry, that did sound a bit rude, didn't it?

I meant it to mean "you and people who believe as you do"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 10th 05, 09:55 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Stefan wrote:
It's always interesting to see at which point the arguments change from
"you" to "you and your ilk". Time to leave the discussion.

If anyone's interested, there is an annual gathering of Ilk at
Pinckneyville Du Quoin airport every May.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old May 11th 05, 04:27 PM
Ash Wyllie

Matt Barrow opined

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
Look at pretty much any entrepeneur - I think we can all agree Bill
Gates is an exemplar with this - yet Bill Gates and Microsoft have never
done anything radical at the 'front end' because the market won't stand
for it. (In fact Microsoft can barely be counted as being an innovator)

The "Blue Screen of Death" does not count as innovative? Damn, you're

hard
to please...

The history of computing can be documented by things that M$ didn't invent.

I understand that the vast majority of MS's R&D goes for reverse engineering
competing products.

And if that doesn't work, buy the competition.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2005!
Why wait for nature?

Old May 12th 05, 01:11 AM
David CL Francis

On Mon, 9 May 2005 at 18:17:51 in message
, Paul Sengupta
wrote:
[...]

Can you please provide references for the source of this information? I
am very interested. The industrial revolution started around the 1740s
I think but perhaps you have a later starting point?
--
David CL Francis
Old May 12th 05, 05:00 AM
Matt Barrow

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in message
Matt Barrow opined

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
Look at pretty much any entrepeneur - I think we can all agree Bill
Gates is an exemplar with this - yet Bill Gates and Microsoft have

never
done anything radical at the 'front end' because the market won't

stand
for it. (In fact Microsoft can barely be counted as being an

innovator)

The "Blue Screen of Death" does not count as innovative? Damn, you're

hard
to please...

The history of computing can be documented by things that M$ didn't

invent.

I'm not a computer junkie, but I'd be hard pressed to think of a product
that MS sells that they DID invent.

I understand that the vast majority of MS's R&D goes for reverse

engineering
competing products.

And if that doesn't work, buy the competition.

Of course, MS is downright hysterical about people reverse engineering THEIR
products.

Old May 12th 05, 05:01 AM
Matt Barrow

wrote:
[...]

Look at some of the research they've done with ice core samples and tree
rings.

Old May 12th 05, 09:49 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Matt Barrow wrote:
I'm not a computer junkie, but I'd be hard pressed to think of a product
that MS sells that they DID invent.

Clippy? Microsoft BoB?

Oh, SELLS, not sold. Even Microsoft have got the clue that Clippy and
BoB were bad ideas!