EWR!

Old May 9th 05, 11:35 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Default EWR!

Got a chance to play with the big boys today. The Mid-Atlantic Aviation
Coalition, a PAC that tries to protect NJ Airports from local NIMBY's and
developers, had its annual meeting at the original terminal building
(Building 1) at Newark Airport this morning. The airport waived the landing
fee for 20 private aircraft, so a bunch of us flew in to mix it up with the
big boys.

We were told to expect rw 11, which is the crosswind runway at the north end
of the field, adjacent to Building 1, but when I was on a three mile final
for rw 11, the tower suddenly told me and two other planes to break off our
approach and turn right to land on rw 4R. As I was told to turn base for 4R
I asked if I could land long, since otherwise I would have had to taxi a
couple of miles. I was told that I could, but to be aware that there was an
Airbus on 8-mile final behind me. I basically flew down the runway at 200'
and landed on the last third. I was then told to exit off high-speed taxiway
Lima, which I did at at least 40 mph. I was thanked for expediting my exit,
since the Airbus was now on three mile final! I suspect that it might have
cost me a bundle if I'd made the Airbus go around. The other two small
planes circled for nearly 10 minutes until another big slot opened up for
them to land on 4R.

At any rate, it was great fun landing on a runway I've landed on many times
in an airliner. The meeting was good, and the departure (off 29) was
uneventful.

Here are some pictures.
http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/EWR4RShortFinal.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/EW...hindArcher.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/EWRHoldingShort4L.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/EWRParked.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/EWRParkedAtUnited.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/EWRFirstTerminal.jpg

I was by myself, but I couldn't resist snapping one picture on short final.
The rest were less of a distraction. The last is of Building 1, which was
the first purpose-built airline terminal in the US, and possibly in the
world. It still has its original control tower on top. It is listed as a
national monument, and was moved almost 3/4 of a mile a few years ago to be
out of the rw 11-29 safety zone so that people could occupy it. It was then
restored and is still being used as the Admin building for the airport. A
really interesting bit of history.

Old May 10th 05, 08:19 PM
Joe Johnson

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message

....interesting EWR story snipped...

Nice account, Bob. IIRC, ATC was started at EWR. Is that correct?

How did the meeting go? Any new strategies for keeping the NIMBY crowd and
developers away?

Old May 10th 05, 08:56 PM
Bob Chilcoat

As far as ATCis concerned,

"The new FAA air traffic control tower at Newark has been named in honor of
the nation's first air traffic controller, William J. Conrad.

In 1929 Mr. Conrad developed the use of flags and signal lamps to direct
aircraft movements at Newark Airport. He was the first person to man the
wooden tower subsequently built to signal aircraft. As air traffic
increased in the 1930's, the Federal Government established rules for
controlling air traffic, many at Conrad's suggestion. Before World War 2,
when controllers were finally licensed by the government, Conrad was issued
ticket # 4 which distressed him greatly. (The first three went to personnel
in Cleveland who had radios to direct aircraft movements.) Before he
retired he supervised construction of the 14 story glass and concrete tower
that was built in 1960 and demolished 2004 after the new tower was
commissioned. His suggestions have also been incorporated in the new
tower's design."

As far as airport protection strategies are concerned, one thing came up
that is interesting. Apparently if an airport accepts Federal airport
improvement money to buy land, there is a covenent requirement to keep the
airport in operation as an airport "in perpetuity", not just for the 20
years that normal Federal improvement grants trigger. This certainly
suggests a strategy: Apply for a grant to buy land to expand the airport
(doesn't have to be a big expansion, it would appear), and then the Feds
will help protect the airport. Interesting.

.. .

Old May 10th 05, 10:18 PM
Andrew Gideon

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

ApplyÂ*forÂ*aÂ*grantÂ*toÂ*buyÂ*landÂ*toÂ*expandÂ*t heÂ*airport
(doesn't have to be a big expansion, it would appear), and then the Feds
will help protect the airport.

Unless it is in Chicago, recall.

But this is an interesting idea. It requires the cooperation of the airport
owner, and therefore might be a bit of an issue. That is, some owners may
be excited to protect their airports forever, but others may be unwilling
to close off some future redevelopment options.

I don't have the experience to know how often it's one way or the other.

- Andrew