any L-4 pilots out there?

Old May 10th 05, 11:08 AM
Cub Driver

Default any L-4 pilots out there?

Maurice Kirk is attempting to fly a Piper L-4 Grasshopper around the
world. He flew from London to Sydney several years ago and resumed the
journey from Darwin last month. He's now in Manila, the Philippines,
and he's looking for former L-4 pilots for advice and to visit when
and if he succeeds in crossing the Pacific. Herewith his most recent
report:

Well its real quiet round here in the Hyatt Regency Hotel, Manila with
no Clearances forward or contacts in Taiwan or South Korea.

Much studying of the charts for endurance calculations via Japanese
islands for Alaska before the winter? Sticky tape and foam preformas?
Appropriately attached to the air frame to reduce profile drag, cycle
wheels instead of the big heavy ones on and enclose the engine for
that extra 2.5 knots and therefore 35mile more range and 38 minute
endurance. Remove the fuel gauge float in the scuttle tank and that
should be good for an extra 350 yards range.

Chop off the wing tips? That will give me 3 knots.

Remove Pitot head?

Gaffer tape all cracks, root fairings etc and door once I am in side?

A safe place to leave the cub is sought while I return to the UK just
to continue my legal challenge, now running into its 13th year with
the South Wales Police.

Must find the US pilots, to visit by `Liberty Girl', who flew the L4s
both in the Pacific theatre of WW2 and during the Normandy landings in
France. Clearly a job for Dan Ford?

/s/ Maurice Kirk

Well, I'm doing my best to get the word out! Anyone with ideas or
other help, kindly post your thoughts here or at
www.kirkflyingvet.com/forums

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum: