Whatever happened with the LS-10?

Old May 29th 15, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Whatever happened with the LS-10?

Just curious whatever happened with the LS-10 I heard years ago when DG acquired the assets of Rolland-Schnieder they were to make an LS-10 with a larger cockpit. I also saw that a few LS-10 were made and seemed to go very well. Anyone know how many were made, did they perform well, why are they not as popular as the other LS series gliders?
Old May 29th 15, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

DG "offered" them for sale for awhile. I'm not sure where they ended up with certification. Holger Beck was flying one in Germany for awhile that was speed limited. By the time DG was more or less ready to go the market was saturated with the ASG-29, Ventus 2cx and the JS-1 appeared right around then.

I also have no idea what happened with the LS-9s (updated self launch LS-6)..

2C
Old May 29th 15, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 2:53:04 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Just curious whatever happened with the LS-10 I heard years ago when DG acquired the assets of Rolland-Schnieder they were to make an LS-10 with a larger cockpit. I also saw that a few LS-10 were made and seemed to go very well. Anyone know how many were made, did they perform well, why are they not as popular as the other LS series gliders?

There was one for sale for a while on W&W's; I believe it was in Canada.
Old May 29th 15, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 2:53:04 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Just curious whatever happened with the LS-10 I heard years ago when DG acquired the assets of Rolland-Schnieder they were to make an LS-10 with a larger cockpit. I also saw that a few LS-10 were made and seemed to go very well. Anyone know how many were made, did they perform well, why are they not as popular as the other LS series gliders?

There will be an LS-10st for sale on Wings and Wheels shortly. Great glider! Bought a self launch glider. The one from Canada was purchased by a southeast pilot.
Old May 30th 15, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

The rumor I've heard is that despite tweaks and tuning, Wolf Lemke and team couldn't make the LS10 substantially outperform the LS6.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old May 30th 15, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 5:56:59 PM UTC-7, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
...Lemke and team couldn't make the LS10 substantially outperform the LS6.

....The takeaway there being that the LS6 is a darn good glider, and hard to beat.
Old May 30th 15, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I know the LS-4,6,8 were great gliders. How does the LS-10 compare to the current crop of 15/18 meter birds, V2cx. ASG-29?

Old May 30th 15, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed Hollestelle[_2_]

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 2:53:04 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Just curious whatever happened with the LS-10 I heard years ago when DG acquired the assets of Rolland-Schnieder they were to make an LS-10 with a larger cockpit. I also saw that a few LS-10 were made and seemed to go very well. Anyone know how many were made, did they perform well, why are they not as popular as the other LS series gliders?

I little bit of truth to most posts to Jonathan's question. I was the LS dealer during that period and had over 20 orders for this very promising new 18M ship.
The fact that they had to pay cash for the (computer generated) molds bankrupted the LS company. DG took over but the deal ended up in the German courts, halting any production for almost 2 years. Most customers gave up waiting and cancelled. The first one we brought to the US in 2006 was prototype #2 and the only one that was build exactly as Wolf Lemke and Werner Scholtz had designed it. (With small 15M tips and large 18M tips, putting the break where it would optimize both configurations.) I just sold that one to a lucky glider pilot is SC! There were 2 more delivered in the US plus a "turbo", for a total of 4 in the USA.
Rick Walters flew my "10" at the 15M Nationals in Mifflin (2007) and was very impressed. He wanted one to fly in the Worlds in Germany and we arranged one in which he won the 18M Pre-Worlds...
It is a shame that due to the bad turn of events this glider never got the attention it deserves. I have put about 600 Hrs. in both configurations and it is an absolute dream to fly (as one of the UK flight reports noted "if you like the LS-6 and the LS-8, you will love the LS-10").
It is still in production and I think almost 30 have been build. Quite a few went to Australia where it is very popular, due to it's superior high speed performance. Sorry Bob, but it is quite a better performer than the LS-6 and as good as both the ASW-29 and JS-1.
Ed Hollestelle.
Old May 31st 15, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Philip van de Donk

According to the DG website it is still for sale.

Don't forget that the LS-10 has a sustainer option. Something that LS-6 owners missed. If it also performs better than the LS-6 (and I have no reason to doubt that), then it is a viable option if people are looking for a replacement of their LS-6...

And I know some persons who bought one just for those reasons...