Taking newbies flying...

Old December 18th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
john smith

Default Taking newbies flying...

I got used to negative G's in my five years of skydiving.
They were the final part of every climb to altitude, prior to jump run.

Robert Chambers wrote:

I have a similar thing with my two kids. My daughter can handle a
steep turn, anything positive G's but push over the top and get her
light in the seat and she doesn't like it. My son however is the
opposite, he loves doing negative G things including making a notepad
float off his lap. He tries to get me to do that with mom in the
plane but I'm smarter than that.

I guess it depends on what the person expects, and what they enjoy.

LWG wrote:

Sometimes, you just can't tell...

I have always prided myself on flying as gently and conservatively
with all my passengers, especially my kids. My older boy has always
been a little queasy while I was flying. I tried all the usual
tricks- ginger, dramamine, electronic wrist band, and nothing really
took care of the problem. I let him fly straight and level, and he
was okay with that, but flying was too uncomfortable for him to be fun.

So today I took him up. It was an unusual day in the East, no
turbulence and excellent visibility. He asked if we could do some
"high G" stuff. I said okay, let's try some steep turns. He had
been following alone on the controls all along, but I took over and
cranked it into a 45 degree turn (I was pleasantly surprised as the
altimeter stayed pegged, since it's been awhile) and then rolled into
a similar turn in the other direction. He loved it! I said, okay,
see that long straight road, let's drop down a little and we'll do
some S turns. Then we climbed up and did some stalls, and then some
steep turns around a point.

So, we went through some basic but vigorous airwork, and he enjoyed
every minute, much more than when I was trying to act line an airline
pilot. In some rare cases, there is such a thing as being too
gentle. I guess the real trick is knowing when those are.

Old December 18th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

john smith wrote:
I got used to negative G's in my five years of skydiving.
They were the final part of every climb to altitude, prior to jump run.

Huh? I've only jumped once but I don't remember any negative G. Maybe zero G
for a second or two after you step off the step but no sense of falling. I
interpret that sick sense of in your stomach when I fall off a ladder as being
negative G... but there wasn't any of that with my jump.

Were you jumping from way on up there, where the aircraft was struggling to get
to your target altitude? Maybe that's the part I missed from my experience....
which was a static line jump with a T-10 from about 3500 feet.

Enquiring minds want to know...

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old December 18th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Mortimer Schnerd, RN writes:

Huh? I've only jumped once but I don't remember any negative G. Maybe zero G
for a second or two after you step off the step but no sense of falling. I
interpret that sick sense of in your stomach when I fall off a ladder as being
negative G... but there wasn't any of that with my jump.

Free falls are zero G, not negative G. Negative Gs are
physiologically hazardous, compared to positive Gs, so it's unusual to
see them deliberately imposed.

If you want a sample, though, you can ride on the Twilight Zone Tower
of Terror attraction at a number of Disney amusement parks. This
attraction is designed to accelerate riders downward at greater than 1
G, so they actually experience negative Gs on the way down (although
not enough to be hazardous).

Old December 18th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
john smith

Oops! That's right... zero G's! (Technically, isn't zero-G a -1G
maneuver considering "normal" gravity to be +1G?)

Negative G's are what you do while flying aerobatic outside maneuvers.
They can make your eyes all red.

Old December 18th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

john smith writes:

Negative G's are what you do while flying aerobatic outside maneuvers.
They can make your eyes all red.

They can also cause retinal damage and hemorrhagic CVAs. Quite a risk
to take for a brief thrill. It's much safer to pass out briefly with
positive Gs, which typically has no sequelae. (Of course, if you're
flying, you'll want to avoid this, too.)

Old December 18th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

john smith wrote:
Oops! That's right... zero G's! (Technically, isn't zero-G a -1G
maneuver considering "normal" gravity to be +1G?)

Positive G is what you get when you pull on the yoke in normal flight. Zero G
is what you get when you push on the yoke in normal flight. Negative G is what
you get when you push really hard in no longer normal flight. G

Seriously, 1 positive G is what you're feeling right now sitting in your chair.
Zero G allows you to float. Negative G tries to fling you out of your chair.

Others can probably word this better than I did.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old December 19th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert Chambers

No Mort I think you covered it pretty well.

Positive G - your butt is pressing in the seat
Zero G - your butt and your lap belt are not really doing any pressing
Negative G - your lap belt is holding you down - anything not held down
is now floating around - a good way to find lost screws, pens, rivets,
mints, and what your pax had for lunch

Old December 19th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Roger[_4_]

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 02:42:37 GMT, Robert Chambers
wrote:

No Mort I think you covered it pretty well.

Positive G - your butt is pressing in the seat
Zero G - your butt and your lap belt are not really doing any pressing
Negative G - your lap belt is holding you down - anything not held down
is now floating around - a good way to find lost screws, pens, rivets,
mints, and what your pax had for lunch

Ahhh...Negative G is when all that stuff you lost on the floor is now
stuck to the ceiling. (Including the dirt) And your sinuses plug up

Zero is when every thing floats around (including the dirt) And your
sinuses plug up. If it last very long you have to push to keep your
feet on the rudder pedals. The natural rest position for our arms and
legs in zero G is not the same as when sitting in a chair.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com