Things to remember in very hot weather

Old June 30th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

Default Things to remember in very hot weather

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:38:54 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Stealth Pilot writes:

on the contrary it is a hell of a lot of fun.
just how long do you think it stays 43 C when you are flying for real?

Most of the flight, at moderate altitudes, or at least it stays too hot for
most of the flight. My baron has an "air conditioning" switch, but it's not
clear whether or not this is the real thing, since the real thing requires a
compressor.

you truely are an idiot.

I fly across the nullabor plain in summer with temperatures on the
ground near 45 degrees celcius, my aircraft has no cooling or
airconditioning whatsoever and yet I fly in temperatures between 0
degrees and 5 degrees absolutely reliably.

can your little brain figure out how I do it.
every pilot here can do it.

Stealth Pilot
Old June 30th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:17:47 -0500, Michael Ash
wrote:

In rec.aviation.student Mxsmanic wrote:
muff528 writes:

If that's as high as your airplane will go you probably should get another
airplane. At least don't fly around out west where the hills are higher than
that. Sometimes even the ground is higher than that! :-)

I try to avoid the mountains when flying a small plane. There are some
extensive flat areas in the American west, but it is true that sometimes to
get between two points it's hard to avoid the mountains, short of crossing
half the continent to go around them. Even if the aircraft has the requisite
ceiling, carrying oxygen for everyone is awkward and will not inspire
confidence in passengers.

You don't legally need oxygen for the passengers until 15,000ft, and even
the "it's a good idea even though it's not required" range probably isn't
until 10,000ft or so. If you start out at sea level, those will get you
into nice cool air.

At the risk of turning this thread into something useful, does anyone have
any recommendations as to when it's a good idea to give oxygen to
passengers? I'm not talking about the legal requirements, but just when
it's the smart thing to do. For example, as the pilot I like to start my
oxygen at about 10,000ft even though it's not required until quite a bit
higher. But then again, it doesn't really matter too much if my passengers
have mildly impaired judgement during the flight, even though I'd really
want to avoid that myself.

This is really an academic question since I don't plan to take anybody
that high to begin with, but I'm curious.

mike it depends entirely on your level of blood oxygenation.
go and buy yourself a little device that clips over your finger called
a 'Pulse Oximeter'. you can get little battery powered ones.
they shine two lasers of different frequencies through your tissue and
infer the oxygenation from the ratio of the attenuation. they are
quite accurate.
if your blood oxygenation drops below 95% you can start up the oygen.

the commercial aviation standard of 8,000ft is based on the onset of
difficulty that an obese person will have.
obesity means increased tissue to perfuse, compared to a normal weight
person, with just the same lung surface area. obesity brings on
hypoxia earlier.

Stealth Pilot
Old June 30th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
Michael Ash wrote:
Do I correctly understand that you would be happy with monitoring for
symptoms during the flight and making the decision then? I don't want to
do this as the pilot, but only because judgement is one of the first
things to go. For passengers this seems to be entirely reasonable.

For passengers, mostly.

I've done some testing previously, and have determined that up to at
least 11,500' there're no noticeable effects for me. (Modulo fatigue,
recovery from illness, etc.) The initial checks I did with another
pilot, my instructor at the time, and he brought oxygen along.

Over the past several decades, I've been tested for VO2max, and I'm on
the high side of the population. I used to cycle competitively, which
was initially the reason to check, after that just curiousity.

Has to be careful choice of grandparents; I've lived essentially at sea
level for my whole life (California coastal, mostly).

My son smokes; him I'd want to check if we cross the Sierra Nevada or
points east.

Thanks for the additional details, very interesting. It's particularly
interesting that you say you're on the high side of the population and yet
you still seem to come in well below the FAA requirements for passenger
oxygen. I guess this is one case where they don't err heavily on the side
of caution.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old June 30th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
What are the main things I have to give special consideration to when
preparing to fly in very hot weather (43° C)?

If you don't know the answer to this question, you should not be flying.

If you are playing with MSFS (as I suspect) you should ask this question on
a group that has members familiar with how Microsoft simulates atmospheric
conditions.

HTH

Old June 30th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Hix

Michael Ash wrote:
[...]

?? Something got scrambled in translation...

If it wasn't clear, I didn't resort to oxygen, we just had it along on
the flight, just in case.

I've never used supplementary oxygen, but the highest density altitude
I've experienced was Mt. Whitney at about 14,500'. It's not exactly
comparable, but it was a one-day up and back hike.

I guess this is one case where they don't err heavily on the side of caution.

I think they still do, certainly judging from my altitude-intolerant
friend.
Old June 30th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

If you don't know the answer to this question, you should not be flying.

Most people don't fly in extremely hot weather.
Old June 30th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Steve Foley writes:

If you don't know the answer to this question, you should not be flying.

Most people don't fly in extremely hot weather.

Yes, they do,, cretin.

Bertie
Old June 30th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
Steve Foley writes:

If you don't know the answer to this question, you should not be flying.

Most people don't fly in extremely hot weather.

If by "most people" you mean the majority of the people in the world,
you are correct.

If by "most people" you mean the people who live in warm climates
don't fly in hot weather, you are wrong.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Deadlines to remember Gilan Home Built 5 July 5th 06 09:28 PM
Remember to tip your ... pilot? Brien K. Meehan Piloting 10 February 4th 06 03:25 PM
Remember when? Billposter Naval Aviation 21 August 22nd 05 09:22 PM
Tasha. Anyone remember her? Mike Anselmo Naval Aviation 2 February 15th 04 03:28 PM
And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts... Roy Piloting 4 July 12th 03 04:03 PM