Portable Aircraft HF Radio Build (Going to Be Long) Multiple Posts....

Old January 29th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

Default Portable Aircraft HF Radio Build (Going to Be Long) MultiplePosts....

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:26:13 -0800, NW_Pilot
wrote in
:

most modern headsets can be wired one to one to the radio..

I was under the impression that aviation headset microphones were made
to electrically look like a carbon mic, and that most ham
communications gear used dynamic mics. Do you have information that
refutes this notion?

Nope, I know it works great with the LightSpeed and David Clark Mic. Set Mic
Gain to 1 on the radio or will sound like crap.
Old January 30th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

OK, I am in the testing Faze!!!!

I will tell you I am really upset at Icom at this point!!! I Split the
separation cable to find out that all the wires are coated with epoxy even under
the shielding like stranded magnet wire....

Ok, 3 hours later i was able to solder an 8 pin connector to one side, About an
hour later I gave it a go on the other side it took about 2 hours very very
tinny wires. Icom just killed any repeat or future business I had with them. All
and all it worked but took way longer then expected but all connection are
mounted some finial routing of wires and she should be done.

At nearly $50.00 a cable an average hobbyist would not be able to fix the cable
if it got cut somehow.

The bolts that will hold the aluminum chassis in to the case will also be rubber
feet.

Sorry no photos tonight.... Will Post when I can need some sleep eyes are not as
good as they were few years ago and the tips of my fingers are no longer used to
the hi-temps of the soldering iron.

Icom BAAAAD BAAAD BAAAD!!! you deserve the Chinese or Koreans to make clones of
your cables!!!! maybe now your radios!!!

Old January 30th 08, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

Ok, the guy with the bouncing e-mail the model of Astron is N2412-24 I tried
another model that peek's @ 20amps it would not run the 706MKIIG above power
level 5. Spend the money and get the model I have listed. There may be others
but Astron is a good quality unit.

Model N2412-24
Input Voltage 22-32 VDC
Output Voltage 13.8 VDC
Line/Load Regulation .04 VDC
Ripple 20mVrms
Continuous Current 20 Amps
Peak Current 24 Amps
Overvoltage Protection16 VDC
Efficiency 88%
Dimensions 2" x 6.2" x 7"
Weight 2 Lbs

Here is the factory Image
http://www.astroncorp.com/images/N2412-24gif.gif

Astron Site,
http://www.astroncorp.com/dcdc.shtml
Old January 30th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-01-30, NW_Pilot wrote:
I will tell you I am really upset at Icom at this point!!! I Split the
separation cable to find out that all the wires are coated with epoxy even under
the shielding like stranded magnet wire....

Ok, 3 hours later i was able to solder an 8 pin connector to one side, About an
hour later I gave it a go on the other side it took about 2 hours very very
tinny wires. Icom just killed any repeat or future business I had with them. All
and all it worked but took way longer then expected but all connection are
mounted some finial routing of wires and she should be done.

Hm. Have you looked at the FT857? Its extension cables use standard,
crimped-on modular connections, 4 pins for the control head and 8 for the
mike.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Old February 3rd 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

It's powerup and test were ok, doing finial assembly will take photos tomorrow.

Decided to not wire it for 14V as of now need to work a few issues out with
switching.
Old February 6th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

Default Portable Aircraft HF Radio Build (Going to Be Long) Final....

Here Are The Completed Photos,

Inside Wired With Pad. I Ended up drilling a number of holes under the side edge
lip for Air and under the front I routed it out behind the name plate lots of
air. Fan was Wired to Radio Out 12V so when radio is on fan is on fused with a
..5 amp fuse inline. Temperature while in Use is acceptable Levels High Volume
Computer Fan

http://www.internationalferryflights...T/S4010621.JPG

Connector Side Of Unit,

http://www.internationalferryflights...T/S4010622.JPG
http://www.internationalferryflights...T/S4010623.JPG

Left to Right,

Ground.

2 Connector Left Of Fan
Bottom is Power 3 Pin, 14V, 24V, & Ground (Eliminated Need For Switch And Slaved
Ground to System Ground)
Top Is Remote Head Mount 8 Pins,

Fan

Right Of Fan

Top Is Antenna,
Bottom Is Tuner Locked LED

Inside,

Antenna, Tools, Cables, And Connectors. (Pill Bottle is For Small Parts)
http://www.internationalferryflights...T/S4010624.JPG
http://www.internationalferryflights...T/S4010625.JPG

Radio Control Head is Mounted In Foam, 1/2" Sides 1" Back 4" Front

All items except tool kit are held in with 3M wire wrap like double sided Velcro
hot and glued in place..

Inside Full Padding, HF Has Velcro on the Top To Mount Mic.

http://www.internationalferryflights...T/S4010627.JPG

Complete Unit,
http://www.internationalferryflights...T/S4010629.JPG

When Closed this unit should withstand shipping as is and airport baggage
handlers if checked.

Now its simple to hookup, and repack should be a 5 min install on a single
engine Cessna!!!

The End!!! Yea, Right It's a HAM!!!

Portable/handheld radio Danny Deger Piloting 15 February 22nd 07 05:10 PM
Portable Radio Waduino Soaring 12 September 14th 05 06:36 PM
Portable radio scanners Casey Wilson Piloting 1 August 1st 05 02:05 PM
Portable XM Radio receiver in the cockpit? Peter R. Piloting 13 September 4th 04 03:46 AM
FA OLD AIRCRAFT RADIO TRANSMITTER STANDARD RADIO Ron Restoration 0 October 26th 03 12:02 AM