Unruly Passengers

Old April 1st 04, 02:41 PM
SelwayKid

Default Unruly Passengers

How would you handle a situation where a paying passenger began to
manhandle the controls?
What would you do if a passenger keeps interrupting you during a
single pilot IFR approach into a very busy airport?
What would you do if your passengers lit up their marijuana in the
back of a twin?
What would you do if the passenger was so big they kept getting in the
way of control travel?
What would you do if your passenger decided to get out of the airplane
while in flight?
These are all real and all have happened to me in my 45 years of
flying. A lot more that I can't think of at the moment.
A pilot was recently faced with it when an 84 year old man decided to
unstrap and get out of the front cockpit of a biplane and plunged to
his death. The pilot was unable to stop him.
What would you do?
Old April 1st 04, 03:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"SelwayKid" wrote in message
m...

How would you handle a situation where a paying passenger began to
manhandle the controls?

Briskly apply my Mag-Lite to the bridge of his nose.

What would you do if a passenger keeps interrupting you during a
single pilot IFR approach into a very busy airport?

Tell him to shut up. If he persists, I'd briskly apply my Mag-Lite to the
bridge of his nose.

What would you do if your passengers lit up their marijuana in the
back of a twin?

I'd inform them smoking is not allowed aboard my aircraft.

What would you do if the passenger was so big they kept getting in the
way of control travel?

Cease the pre-start checks.

What would you do if your passenger decided to get out of the airplane
while in flight?

Tell him it's a bad idea.

Old April 1st 04, 03:25 PM
Peter R.

Steven P. McNicoll ) wrote:

What would you do if your passengers lit up their marijuana in the
back of a twin?

I'd inform them smoking is not allowed aboard my aircraft.

What, no Mag-Lite to the bridge of the nose? That would work, too.

--
Peter

Old April 1st 04, 04:07 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Peter R." wrote in message
Steven P. McNicoll ) wrote:

What would you do if your passengers lit up their marijuana in the
back of a twin?

I'd inform them smoking is not allowed aboard my aircraft.

What, no Mag-Lite to the bridge of the nose? That would work, too.

And he wouldn't cold-cock the guy trying to get out of the plane? Steven is
slipping.

Old April 1st 04, 04:18 PM
G.R. Patterson III

SelwayKid wrote:

How would you handle a situation where a paying passenger began to
manhandle the controls?

I'd try telling him to quit it. If that didn't work, I'd probably brain him with the
fire extinguisher.

What would you do if a passenger keeps interrupting you during a
single pilot IFR approach into a very busy airport?

Hit the "pilot isolate" button on the intercom.

What would you do if your passengers lit up their marijuana in the
back of a twin?

Notify the authorities to pick them up at the nearest airport and land there.

What would you do if the passenger was so big they kept getting in the
way of control travel?

Since control travel checks are part of my runup procedures, we would never leave the
ground.

What would you do if your passenger decided to get out of the airplane
while in flight?

About all I can think of to try is to put the plane in the steepest left bank I can
hold while maintaining control. In my plane, that's going to make it extremely
difficult for him to get out. Then it's nothing but left turns and slips until I
flare for landing.

George Patterson
Treason is ne'er successful, Sir; what then be the reason? Why, if treason
be successful, Sir, then none dare call it treason.
Old April 1st 04, 04:19 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Peter R." wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll ) wrote:

What would you do if your passengers lit up their marijuana in the
back of a twin?

I'd inform them smoking is not allowed aboard my aircraft.

What, no Mag-Lite to the bridge of the nose? That would work, too.

They might drop the joint.

Old April 1st 04, 04:31 PM
C J Campbell

"SelwayKid" wrote in message
m...
How would you handle a situation where a paying passenger began to
manhandle the controls?

Karate chop to the throat.

What would you do if a passenger keeps interrupting you during a
single pilot IFR approach into a very busy airport?

Tune him out, either with pilot isolate or just ignoring him.

What would you do if your passengers lit up their marijuana in the
back of a twin?

Ask for some.

Actually, I would land immediately. My plane has no ash trays and smoking is
strictly prohibited by the POH. I would also consider that the plane has had
its value permanently reduced to some extent -- drug sniffing dogs will
alert on the plane for years -- and I would demand compensation.

What would you do if the passenger was so big they kept getting in the
way of control travel?

That would be determined when computing the weight and balance and during
the before takeoff control check.

What would you do if your passenger decided to get out of the airplane
while in flight?

Depends on where he was sitting and whether I felt I could do anything about
it.

These are all real and all have happened to me in my 45 years of
flying. A lot more that I can't think of at the moment.
A pilot was recently faced with it when an 84 year old man decided to
unstrap and get out of the front cockpit of a biplane and plunged to
his death. The pilot was unable to stop him.
What would you do?

He was 88. If you are unable to stop him, then you are unable to stop him.
File a dropped object report.

Old April 1st 04, 04:38 PM
C J Campbell

My bad. Forgot to look at the date of this troll.

My solution to all the above problems would be to shoot the passenger. If he
had drugs or cash, I would steal them.

Old April 1st 04, 04:43 PM
Peter R.

G.R. Patterson III ) wrote:

"Peter R." wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll ) wrote:

What would you do if your passengers lit up their marijuana in the
back of a twin?

I'd inform them smoking is not allowed aboard my aircraft.

What, no Mag-Lite to the bridge of the nose? That would work, too.

They might drop the joint.

Oooh, good point.

--
Peter

Old April 1st 04, 04:51 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Peter R." wrote in message
Steven P. McNicoll ) wrote:

What would you do if your passengers lit up their marijuana in the
back of a twin?

I'd inform them smoking is not allowed aboard my aircraft.

What, no Mag-Lite to the bridge of the nose? That would work, too.

Yeah, I was kinda expecting that to be the solution to all the "issues."

Seriously though, Steven, I think you got it right on.