Gas Prices -- Help at last?

Old October 16th 05, 01:59 AM
Matt Barrow

Default OT: Gas Prices -- Help at last?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Matt Barrow wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

And the inability to follow a thread (who posted what) amazes me,
especailly
when people become so condescending after they do screw up attributions.

As for the inability to follow a thread, I was answering this post:

"Fela tilvitnun -
- Sına tilvitnun -
Newps wrote:
wrote:

That the world is warming is not in question, the numbers are obvious.
What is causing it to warm is still in debate (especially by the Bush
White House), but a great number of scientists feel that man and the
greenhouse gasses he produces is likely the root cause.

Which shows the arrogance of man. I just finsihed reading a book about
the Viking explorers. They settled Iceland and Greenland around the
years 750-1050 AD. The "scientists" say that they were able to stay
there at all is because about the time they got there corresponded to a
global warming cycle that made the glaciers recede, the winters easier
and the summers warmer and longer. About the time they left corresponds
to the "Little Ice Age". "

:To which I replied:

:Well, the descendants of the original settlers are still living in
:Iceland, farming it and living a pretty good life. They haven´t left
:at all.

That's nice, but the tread here is not your own and you are not the sole
participant.

I was addresing newps and only him; if you wish to add something, especially
since you have a certain expertise, please do. OTOH, don't hog the thread.

You answeared this with:
"Iceland is not Greenland. Iceland is warmed by ocean currents and has
been
inhabited for centuries, unlike Greenland which is pretty much
un-inhabitable ANYMORE except on very limited scale
(non-self-supporting)."

And is that wrong? I cited population stats (56K, a small town by comparison
in the US. You cited...that there is plenty of area...but never said for
what. You did chime in with peoples ignorance (regarding some obscure corner
of the earth like we really should give a damn for every trival point).

I also find it interesting, when someone questions another posters claim,
or
asks for clarification, some become hostile or pompous.

Yes, so do I.

Well, take a good look around. WIthout citing a reference book, tell us what
you know about my town, Montrose, CO. You may want to be a bit careful about
throwing arounf the word "ignorance" (willful rejection of knowledge, and
substitute "naive" (not knowing or being aware).

Old October 16th 05, 02:02 AM
Matt Barrow

I notice whatever you're using for a newsreader does not properly indent
previous comments.

Your reply at bottom (Well, this is how..) should be indented with ""
characters. Take a look.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Matt Barrow wrote:
wrote in message

That's who I was responding to.

Well, this is how this appears on my computer:

Old October 16th 05, 02:16 AM

Matt Barrow wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Newps wrote:
wrote:

[...]

This is usenet, if you want to adress a single individual, you should
e-mail him.

You answeared this with:
"Iceland is not Greenland. Iceland is warmed by ocean currents and has
been
inhabited for centuries, unlike Greenland which is pretty much
un-inhabitable ANYMORE except on very limited scale
(non-self-supporting)."

And is that wrong? I cited population stats (56K, a small town by comparison
in the US. You cited...that there is plenty of area...but never said for
what. You did chime in with peoples ignorance (regarding some obscure corner
of the earth like we really should give a damn for every trival point).

Yes, that is what I mean when I talk about ignorance.

I also find it interesting, when someone questions another posters claim,
or
asks for clarification, some become hostile or pompous.

Yes, so do I.

Well, take a good look around. WIthout citing a reference book, tell us what
you know about my town, Montrose, CO. You may want to be a bit careful about
throwing arounf the word "ignorance" (willful rejection of knowledge, and
substitute "naive" (not knowing or being aware).

Are you really comparing Montrose, Colorado with independent countries?
Not knowing about Iceland or Greenland is ignorance, Montrose, CO is
just not comparable.

Old October 16th 05, 02:20 AM

Matt Barrow wrote:
I notice whatever you're using for a newsreader does not properly indent
previous comments.

I am using "groups.google.com" and it shows everybody elses posts
properly indented except yours.

Your reply at bottom (Well, this is how..) should be indented with ""
characters. Take a look.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 16th 05, 02:20 AM
Matt Barrow

wrote in message
oups.com...

Matt Barrow wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Newps wrote:
wrote:

[...]

It doesn't work that way, so stop rationalizing.

Old October 16th 05, 01:00 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:57:38 -0700, Sylvain wrote:

please don't get all worked up over this: this newsgroup is
populated by a majority of americans (or folks like me having
moved there); the fact that some folks even *know* that your
island exist -- even if they might confuse it with some other
parts and get a few facts wrong like location, population,
history, etc -- is already something you'd be really happy
about, a good base for further discussion (I suspect pilots
have heard about Iceland as a convenient place to refuel on
the way across the Atlantic on the northern route :-) -- don't

*hehe* ... very good

get me started on the subject, I don't remember how many times
I have had to explain that I don't come from Swaziland (and how

hm, same here. Often enough parcels are routed via Australia and we are
very often seen as Australian. But this is OK as long as we are not seen as
Germans. :-)

many times my snail mail transits through this probably
really fine but completely out of the way country) :-)

#m

--
Repeat an assertion four times and it becomes a fact. Repeat an assertion
four times and it becomes a fact. Repeat an assertion four times and it
Old October 16th 05, 01:04 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:59:47 -0700, Matt Barrow wrote:

tell us what you know about my town, Montrose, CO.

mabye: "some obscure corner of the earth like we really should give a damn
for every trival point"

#m

Old October 16th 05, 01:09 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 06:58:44 -0400, Bob Noel wrote:

sigh

very true.

ok, I shouldn't said "a few nukes." I should have said: pop off a few
thousand nukes with the intent to put billions on tons of dust into
the air. Anyone want to claim that this wouldn't affect global temps?

even the stop of commercial airline service after 9/11 had an impact on
global warming. only for a short period, but the effect was visible, IIRC
(according to a BBC report) this was the single worst effect in the last
couple of decades. Yes, NOT flying brought the effect.

#m