IVSM on Harris Hill (NY) June 30 - July 7

Old May 6th 12, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Default IVSM on Harris Hill (NY) June 30 - July 7

A reminder from a vintage sailplane enthusiast in Marfa, Texas
(USA)

Only 8 weeks until the start of the International Vintage Sailplane
Meet (IVSM) on historic Harris Hill, near Elmira, New York.
This unique soaring meet is held in the USA every few years and the
2012 dates are June 30 - July 7.

Now is the time to make plans to attend, with or without your
sailplane, to soar over the famous (since 1934) Harris Hill
gliderport.

Here is the pilot / sailplane registration information for IVSM, from
www.soaringmuseum.org

http://www.soaringmuseum.org/IVSM%20...ion%20Form.pdf
For more information contact our National Soaring Museum at (607)
734-3128 or e-mail

Several evening events are planned including the "International Night"
dinner on Harris Hill, and the catered dinner at the wonderful Glenn
Curtiss Museum in nearby Hammondsport, NY. Our rainy day plan (if we
have any rain!) is to further explore our National Soaring Museum on
Harris Hill, and visit the Corning Museum of Glass.

Elmira was the home of Mark Twain later in his life. Watkins Glen
raceway is nearby. The "Finger Lakes" region (narrow lakes formed by
glaciers) around Elmira is beautiful with many wineries and antique
shops in the small towns.

I will arrive with my restored Schleicher ASK-13 in its trailer on or
before June 29 after my 2,200 mile (5 day) drive from Marfa, Texas.
Hotel rooms might be fully booked as the tourists enjoy this area
every summer. Airlines fly into Elmira-Corning airport (ELM) via
Buffalo, Rochester, Detroit, Chicago and Philadelphia as some of your
connecting terminals. You can also rent a car at Buffalo or Rochester
airport for an easy drive through the scenic countryside to Elmira.
Historic Harris Hill gliderport is high on the ridge south of the
Chemung River valley, above the villages of Big Flats and Horseheads,
just northwest of Elmira.

So come join us / spread the word about this wonderful gathering of
colorful sailplanes and the characters that restore and fly them!

Old June 10th 12, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Just three weeks to the International Vintage Sailplane Meet, June 30
- July 7.

My restored ASK-13 is in the trailer and ready to roll from Marfa,
Texas.
Come fly something old (and colorful) off of historic Harris Hill near
Elmira, NY.
See the wonderful sailplane collection in our National Soaring Museum,
the archive of the SSA (where your badge and record documents are
stored.)

More info and event schedule now posted at www.soaringmuseum.org
Nice photos of past IVSM events at www.wingsandwheels.com

Burt
(Marfa Gliders is closed while I'm gone. Back around July 15th.)

Old June 13th 12, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

The beautiful gull-wing RS-1 Zanonia will be the featured vintage
sailplane at the IVSM.
See description at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_RS-1_Zanonia
Also try a Google search for images.