CFIs: THE IMPORTANCE OF LANGUAGE!

Old January 25th 05, 07:51 PM
gatt

Default CFIs: THE IMPORTANCE OF LANGUAGE!

When we were doing touch and goes during a complex checkout yesterday we had
an incident right after touchdown because of a blue heron in our immediate
path. The CFI said "to your detriment you already had the flaps at one
notch...", which confused me.

Later, he pulled the power on me approaching the pattern. During the
debrief he said "You see what happened? You forgot to do your third GUMPs
check but to your detriment you remembered to do it on final." To my
detriment I remembered to do one last GUMP check? I think he meant to my
CREDIT. (Unless there's some reason you wouldn't want a notch of flaps in
an Arrow II during short-field TnGs or wouldn't want to do the last "three
green, prop forward" before touchdown.) I might have gone home thinking he
was telling me it's incorrect to have a notch of flaps had it not been for
his later mistake.

My instrument instructor used to like to say, in reference to the DE, "one
of his pet peeves is to..." "One of his pet peeves is pattern B." If his
pet peeve is Pattern B, why are we spending so much time on it? "His pet
peeve is to keep you in a holding pattern." Apparently, she believes that
"pet peeve" means "things he likes to do." Entirely excusable, but another
example of language inaccuracy which might be potentially counterproductive.

It's important not to confuse your students. Using correct terminology and
language is important to that end. Please remain vigilante. ;

-c

Old January 25th 05, 08:18 PM
greenwavepilot

Irregardless, you shouldn't loose your concentration.

Old January 25th 05, 08:47 PM
C J Campbell

"greenwavepilot" wrote in message
oups.com...
Irregardless, you shouldn't loose your concentration.

Especially when you are putting the plain in the hanger. Don't ride the
breaks, either.

Old January 25th 05, 09:19 PM
Jay Beckman

"gatt" wrote in message

[...]

The concensus of opinion would say you is correct.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old January 25th 05, 09:25 PM
gatt

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

Especially when you are putting the plain in the hanger. Don't ride the
breaks, either.

Upon soft-field touchdown, the pilot should call out "three on the green."

-c

Old January 25th 05, 09:32 PM
Gordon Young

c,

Do not feel intimidated by your instructor. If you are not sure what he
means, ask him to clarify his remarks. I can think of few things more
important than communication during flight instruction.

I am constantly refining my use of the English language as I teach my
students. They are told not to hesitate to ask for clarification if I
confuse them.

Gordon

Old January 25th 05, 09:54 PM
C J Campbell

"gatt" wrote in message

When we were doing touch and goes during a complex checkout yesterday we

had
an incident right after touchdown because of a blue heron in our immediate
path. The CFI said "to your detriment

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means."

Old January 25th 05, 10:08 PM
Nathan Gilliatt

In article ,
"gatt" wrote:

Upon soft-field touchdown, the pilot should call out "three on the green."

But mind the power lines near the fairway, or things could get rough.
Old January 25th 05, 10:21 PM
Jeff Franks

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means."

INCONCEIVABLE!!!!!

Old January 25th 05, 10:53 PM
Jay Beckman

"Jeff Franks" wrote in message
"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means."

INCONCEIVABLE!!!!!

"The vestle with the pestle has the brew that is true..."