GUMPS/Instrument approaches

Old January 27th 05, 11:04 PM
Scott D.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:15:04 -0800, "gatt"
wrote:

Hey, all. Haven't shot instrument approaches in a complex aircraft yet,
and I'm getting ready to so I'm curious:

When you're doing a practice approach in which you know it's going to be
missed, do you complete/amend/ignore the GUMPS check? I'm guessing yes,
but I'm curious as to what others do. Finishing up my complex endorsement
this afternoon, but haven't done any approaches in that plane yet.

Don't skip anything. The reason why we train is so that you build
muscle memory as well. It comes in handy when the S*$% gets deep and
your mind is having to concentrate so hard, that you want some things
to come "Naturally". If you start making adjustments to how you would
normally do something because you know your are going around, you are
training you mind to that which could potentially cause problems down
the road. Always complete the GUMPS when you normally do it and then
when its time to go around do the 5 C's.

Scott D

To email remove spamcatcher
Old January 27th 05, 11:17 PM
Scott D.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:40:09 -0800, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Many instructors advise instrument students to hang the gear out when the
glideslope is about a dot above center..the added drag starts you down the
hill, and it's awfully hard to forget the gear if you follow this advice.

Bob Gardner

This his how I have always done it, but with a little variation. When
I intercept the glideslope, Usually at the FAF, I then lower the gear.
The only time that I did not do this, was when I had an engine failure
on a twin shooting the approach in IMC. I just kept saying to myself
as I was descending, was "DONT FORGET THE GEAR, ...." Once I broke
out and I knew I had the runway made, the gear came down.

Old January 28th 05, 02:02 AM
BTIZ

why would you intentionally have the aircraft configured for an approach
that you are not used to.

In the Bonanza, and in the Arrow, having the aircraft trimmed for level
flight at approach speed, and then extending the gear at the FAF makes for a
nice transition to the 500-600fpm required to capture and maintain the glide
slope on the local ILS.

BT

"gatt" wrote in message

Hey, all. Haven't shot instrument approaches in a complex aircraft yet,
and I'm getting ready to so I'm curious:

When you're doing a practice approach in which you know it's going to be
missed, do you complete/amend/ignore the GUMPS check? I'm guessing yes,
but I'm curious as to what others do. Finishing up my complex
endorsement
this afternoon, but haven't done any approaches in that plane yet.

-c

Old January 28th 05, 10:47 AM
Bill J

But... I teach a "keep your forward speed up" that we seem to always get
. You need to know the plane's very different feel if keeping on glide
slope with gear up. Also multiple GUMPS checks on all approaches make
you check on short final DA+200 ft. for example.

Old January 28th 05, 06:48 PM
Robert M. Gary

The most important thing for your CFII to teach you on an instrument
approach is how to find the power/prop settings that result in your
approach being at the exact speed you plan for (we plan 90kt in the
Mooney as well as a configuration for 130kts when necessary). All these
power settings would be out the window if you flew with the gear up. I
usually have the student put the gear down at the point of the initial
let down on a non-pre approach and on GS intercept on a pre approach.

-Robert, CFI

Old January 29th 05, 01:39 AM
Rob Montgomery

Actually, you can (at least in the Arrow II, the only kind I have direct
experience with). The "Maximum Gear Extension" speed is 150MPH, or about 131
knots. The "Maximum Gear Retraction" speed is at 125MPH, so you'd have to
slow down before you pull the gear up on the missed. It's interesting that
they don't publish a "Maximum Gear Extended" speed, but I wouldn't go more
than an "ooops" over 150MPH.

Then again, you can always save fuel and fly at something other than full
throttle. :-)

-Rob

Old January 29th 05, 03:36 AM
BTIZ

"Bill J" wrote in message
But... I teach a "keep your forward speed up" that we seem to always get .
You need to know the plane's very different feel if keeping on glide slope
with gear up. Also multiple GUMPS checks on all approaches make you check
on short final DA+200 ft. for example.

agreed.. and on "most" aircraft... once you've for the gear down.. you can
speed up to max gear extended speed, not gear extension speed..

had that happen to me in a Seneca II, slowed to a nice 110knt approach and
approach control decided that was not fast enough.. so on glide path..
speeding up.. and retracting flaps.. able to leave the flap lever at 1
notch, 160knt speed.. and left the gear down.. 150knt speed..

nice exercise to change configuration and drag while still tracking the
loc/glideslope

BT

Old January 29th 05, 03:38 AM
Peter R.

Rob Montgomery wrote:

The "Maximum Gear Extension" speed is 150MPH, or about 131
knots.

Are you saying that you don't lose any speed when you drop the gear at 131
kts?

In the Bonanza, I drop the gear at 155 kts and immediately lose about 25-30
kts due to drag.

--
Peter