Source for previous (24 hour) visible satellite imagery

Old August 12th 15, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Source for previous (24 hour) visible satellite imagery

I want to look at the clouds from yesterday and can't really find a good source for satellite imagery. Something like this below but with a regional option would work. Color enhanced would be even better...

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/sat_loop.php?image=vis&hours=24
Old August 12th 15, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

This is a bit hard to maneuver around in but it works. The images are huge so you have to scroll around. There also is no map overlay so you must find a large geographical feature in your area of interest and move around relative to that. Also, the time of day that the image is recorded is variable so you can't always find the afternoon time you are interested in.
On the plus side the images are very detailed.
http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/i...bsets/?area=na
Old August 12th 15, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Try this one:

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/

Steve Leonard
Old August 12th 15, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 11:57:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I want to look at the clouds from yesterday and can't really find a good source for satellite imagery. Something like this below but with a regional option would work. Color enhanced would be even better...

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/sat_loop.php?image=vis&hours=24

Or this. http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/visible.php

Select region on right, last 12 hr images are there.
Old August 12th 15, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 8:57:36 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I want to look at the clouds from yesterday and can't really find a good source for satellite imagery.

Opendap and ADDE data servers from the academic atmospheric sciences community hold about 30 hours of GOES 1km visible satellite imagery and a lot of other met data. It's all publically available. I've been using and learning about accessing this data with the Integrated Data Viewer (IDV) from Unidata (part of NCAR) Boulder, CO. It's a phenomenal program and over the last year I've learned how to make movie loops and transcode them to *.mp4 files to assist with post analysis of contest days.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/#home

The learning curve is rather steep, but the documentation is quite good with some screencast videos that help. I even attended a three day workshop in 2010 that "got me up to speed". Unfortunately, I didn't keep up with it and am only recently re-familiarizing myself.

Yesterday, I demoed for myself displaying HRRR high resolution model data with thermal heights (pbl height) converted to msl feet instead of meters agl. Still a lot to learn and experiment with. I think this can become a good alternative at some point for DrJacks.net and XCSkies. With the HRRR data forecasts only reach out 15hours (24hours on development versions of the HRRR).

Walt Rogers WX

Old August 13th 15, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Here's an example of a *.mp4 movie loop I made with IDV on 07/29/2015 covering the Sierras and Nevada (Day of my OLC 928km flight).

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/q0a4yd9aie8...50729.mp4?dl=0

Background has county lines and a TP Database from Lynn Alley modified my Jim Staniforth. Notice a brief frame showing the TP and landout names. Also, I know how to include airspace outlines.

Walt Rogers WX

Old August 13th 15, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 11:57:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I want to look at the clouds from yesterday and can't really find a good source for satellite imagery. Something like this below but with a regional option would work. Color enhanced would be even better...

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/sat_loop.php?image=vis&hours=24

Try this one. It was very difficult to find.

http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/imagearchive/

Dan Reagan
Old August 13th 15, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

I'm afraid it will be very difficult to find archives of visible GOES high resolution imagery that's easily accessible over the Internet. The solution from Dan Reagan using UCAR Archives is probably the deepest archive and best you'll find.

Using the Unidata IDV viewer and other data servers is a far more complex way of getting yesterdays (less than 30hrs back) high resolution imagery.

Walt WX

Old August 13th 15, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

You can also use the SSA tracker, select your soaring site and view the traces with the satellite overlay. Every day is archived so you can go back as far as you want, even if no one flew that day you can still see a time lapse of the satellite view by sliding the time bar.

Ramy
Old August 13th 15, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 8:02:54 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
You can also use the SSA tracker, select your soaring site and view the traces with the satellite overlay. Every day is archived so you can go back as far as you want, even if no one flew that day you can still see a time lapse of the satellite view by sliding the time bar.

Ramy

They don't archive the sat pics for regions where there are no flights. So if nobody flies the west coast, like yesterday you are out of luck if you wanted to see the OD near Chandler AZ for example that created havoc at the airport there.

Much better is NRL or Nexsat. Rapidfire is okay with great resolution but infrequent images. Also hard to search their subsets.

Connie Crash 1958.... Posts visible now? Hans Holbein Aviation Photos 9 March 30th 11 05:14 AM
Satellite Imagery of Eastern US user Soaring 13 January 23rd 07 07:28 PM
Visible wingtip vortex! Bill Piloting 23 October 25th 05 10:37 PM
Keyhole satellite imagery and GA Patrick Pohler Piloting 10 November 27th 04 10:03 PM
Most Visible Color for Aircraft [email protected] Piloting 49 March 11th 04 10:35 AM