Dittel 833 radio

Old March 18th 18, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Crowson

Default Dittel 833 radio

I am just about to buy a Dittel (now TQ) KRT2 radio, has anyone any
experience good or bad with one of these?

Old March 18th 18, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 10:36:28 +0000, David Crowson wrote:

I am just about to buy a Dittel (now TQ) KRT2 radio, has anyone any
experience good or bad with one of these?

I've been using one since 2004. I had some initial problems, but since
then its been working well.

My only niggles are with the manual:

- the wiring diagram is wrong in my copy. If you wire up a bare D-15 plug
following the manual instructions rather than using the supplied one,
which has a tiny prefitted PCB in it you may find that the radio will
only transmit unmodulated carrier wave.

- the instructions for updating stored preset frequencies in my copy of
the manual are wrong, but LX Aviation were able to send me corrected
instructions

Apart from that, I'm happy with mine, especially its ability to monitor a
pair of frequencies.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old March 18th 18, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

I just ordered one. Hope it's good It was a toss up between that and the Trig radio. But the KRT2 has an adapter plug that allows a direct connection to my old FSG 2T harness and uses the same dynamic microphone. Neither was the case with the Trig which required a new harness (or plug) and microphone.
ROY
Old March 18th 18, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

I have probably installed 30 of them, and have a good friend that has done more.
He won´t do another.
Not that they are a bad radio, but the quality issues are crazy.
Some work, some don´t. It all depends which day they were made I guess..
If you get a good one, you will be happy.
Old March 18th 18, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Crowson

At 18:36 18 March 2018, Ross wrote:
I have probably installed 30 of them, and have a good friend that has

done
=
more.
He won=C2=B4t do another.=20
Not that they are a bad radio, but the quality issues are crazy.
Some work, some don=C2=B4t. It all depends which day they were

made I
guess=
..
If you get a good one, you will be happy.
Thanks for that, unfortunately I am an old fart so I missed some of

the finer points of your text speak

Old March 18th 18, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

wrote:

I am just about to buy a Dittel (now TQ) KRT2 radio, has anyone any
experience good or bad with one of these?

I replaced my Dittel FSG71m in mid-2016 with the KRT2. As others have
mentioned, one feature was the adaptor available to allow me to use my
existing wiring harness directly.

No issues, very nice radio. I did need to wire up a special harness to
allow downloading of the 100 channel memory from my computer (though
you could to this from the front panel if you had the patience.

Bob
Old March 21st 18, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Wells[_2_]

I like mine, David -- it was comparatively good value for money. The
UI isn't great (I can never remember which combination of buttons
and twists does what, but that's a general gripe with most 57mm
glider instruments these days).

The best feature in my view is the ability to remote control it -- I can
set frequencies from within XCSoar, which makes the radio much
more usable. Other head units such as the AIR avionics can remote
control it too.

The Trig is more popular at our club, but I couldn't find a way to
remote control it.

Old March 21st 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 11:58:26 +0000, John Wells wrote:

I like mine, David -- it was comparatively good value for money. The UI
isn't great (I can never remember which combination of buttons and
twists does what, but that's a general gripe with most 57mm glider
instruments these days).

I can't use the .NET-based program Dittel supply to up/down load the
preset frequency list because it won't run on Linux, so I'm writing my own
program. I have a suitable wiring harness built and a specification of
the protocol used for these uploads and downloads, but I don't know know
the serial port settings on the radio.

Can anybody tell me what baud rate, parity and stop bits setting the the
KRT2 uses (pins 2,13 plus ground - same as it uses to talk to a remote
head).

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old March 22nd 18, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Wells[_2_]

At 16:18 21 March 2018, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

9600 8N1 works for me.

Old March 22nd 18, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 00:08:36 +0000, John Wells wrote:

9600 8N1 works for me.

Thanks.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

f/s Dittel FSG-71M radio [email protected] Soaring 1 June 4th 17 09:43 PM
Dittel Fsg-5 radio [email protected] Soaring 0 July 21st 16 06:24 PM
Used Dittel radio Paul Natkiel Soaring 0 March 2nd 09 08:17 PM
Dittel Radio [email protected] Soaring 11 January 27th 09 10:09 PM
Dittel Radio Paul Soaring 0 January 10th 06 12:50 AM