SeeYou for Android!

Old November 10th 12, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SeeYou for Android!

Andrej,
Enjoyed your presentation today. Nice to hear about the creativity surrounding your firm.

Thanks,
Marco
Old November 11th 12, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roel Baardman

Andrej, can you please elaborate on your plans with SeeYou cloud?
Are you preparing to compete with OLC?
And will SeeYou also interface with Skylines once they have an open API?
Old November 12th 12, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Naviter Info

Hi Roel,

thanks for your questions. I'll be more than happy to answer. It will be a long post, so please bear with me.

can you please elaborate on your plans with SeeYou cloud?

I'm not exaggerating if I say that we see it as the glue between pilots, hardware manufacturers and software developers in every way.

I'd like to point out only a few use cases to explain the statement above.

1. For the pilots who will contribute the content:

SeeYou Cloud is private and secure which means that the content (flights, waypoints, tasks, airspace etc) belongs to the person who uploaded the data (you). Nobody else can access the data without the owner's (your) permission to do so. As soon as you do grant permission the data is shared with those with the correct permissions. If you need an example then Dropbox is very much like SeeYou Cloud except Dropbox is without the gliding logic. Your data in Dropbox is private but you can share it with the world if you wish.

2. For the software developers:

SeeYou Cloud is OAuth and https secured and it has a REST/JSON API. Just like every modern cloud solution out there. Which also means that developers are welcome to start thinking about what they will do with the data they will be able to access in the Cloud.

There is a lot of ideas out there and we know that there are many software developers and organizations who are starving for flight data they could analyze and use in many different ways. If they are successful this can only lead to new developments, new knowledge, new products and new services for glider pilots. Which is great. We will take a lot of pride out of it if we (Naviter) will be the ones who will be the foundation of this new knowledge..

3. For the hardware manufacturers:

It will be the easiest and most reliable link to their customers.

Imagine an LX 9000, Nano, Colibri, Butterfly Vario, ClearNav, you name it.. which sends your flight directly to the scoring office (or OLC) after landing. Without you ever touching anything! After you are done pushing the glider off the runway you fire up SeeYou on your Smartphone and your flight is already waiting for you in there (downloaded from the SeeYou Cloud). And it has already been scored too while you were pusing the glider.

Or how about this. You are in a competition and task B has been called. CD uploaded new information to Soaring Spot / SeeYou Cloud. LX 9000 checked and found new task on the SeeYou Cloud. You come to the cockpit and the LX 9000 screen is telling you that Task B has been published, "do you want to use this task today?".

Or the same example with airspace. Some who flew in Uvalde have bitter memories of the airspace changes during the training week. There would have been a few virtual landouts less (and a few happy pilots more) if their instrument would have asked "do you want to use new airspace information?" prior to the flight.

Possibilities are endless and I'm just scratching the surface. I know you have more and better ideas than I do. And the SeeYou Cloud will enable you to realize them.

Are you preparing to compete with OLC?

No. Not at all.

OLC (meaning www.onlinecontest.org) is not a technical solution. OLC is a story. And it is a great story. It connects all glider pilots from all over the world and I am very happy to see that many pilots post most if not all of their flights on OLC. Certainly the best ones are there and they are displayed very prominently. In my club we fly the same gliders as 30 years ago.. But we fly them 30% faster and 40% further than we did 30 years ago. OLC had everything to do with that!

If we had more than one OLC the information would dissipate and the total value of all OLCs together would be less than if we have one strong OLC. This is my personal opinion and you are free to disagree with it.

The dissipation happened to the paragliders. There is more than 50 online contests around the world for paragliders and hang gliders without a clear leader and with different rules. Even for an insider that makes things difficult to follow and understand. The learning and the motivational effect is very much diminished by that imho.

I wish for one strong OLC. SeeYou Cloud will support it, but it will also several other OLCs not least the ones from our free flying friends.

SeeYou Cloud is the middle layer between the pilot and the OLC front end.

And will SeeYou also interface with Skylines once they have an open API?

We've already asked the Skylines developers for their API but I'd rather see deeds do the talking. We can deal with it between Turbo, Max and us I think.

Thanks again for asking Roel!

Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com

Old November 12th 12, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roel Baardman

Thanks for the elaborate answer Andrej!
I'm looking forward to the SeeYou cloud API!

Roel

SeeYou Recoder - an Android app for glider pilots [email protected] Soaring 7 July 11th 12 07:16 PM
Android XC Soar Paul Besing Soaring 3 May 3rd 11 09:39 PM
Possible Android Tablet? jsbrake[_2_] Soaring 5 February 5th 11 07:57 PM
Android App Mike[_36_] Soaring 8 July 14th 10 10:53 AM
Seeyou NMEA to Winpilot/Seeyou Jean Soaring 4 June 3rd 06 11:38 AM