schweizer135 canopy

Old December 6th 18, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morris Carter[_2_]

Default schweizer135 canopy

need complete canopy with frame, frame only, or plexiglass only.

Old December 6th 18, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 10:00:05 AM UTC-7, Morris Carter wrote:
need complete canopy with frame, frame only, or plexiglass only.

Have you contacted Schweizer? They are still in business, and I believe you can still get parts from them.
Old December 6th 18, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

K&L Soaring owns the Schweizer certificate and still supplies a lot of parts and assemblies.

http://www.klsoaring.com

PA
Old December 7th 18, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 10:00:05 AM UTC-7, Morris Carter wrote:
need complete canopy with frame, frame only, or plexiglass only.

Morris,

When my 1-35 needed a canopy, I could not find one. Nor, could I find someone to make one.

So, George Applebay, now soaring the thermals in heaven, took a modern glider's canopy and cut it to size. Though the profile was not perfectly Schweizer, it was close enough to where only we 1-35 pilots MIGHT notice.

The FAA Registry lists numerous 1-35 gliders that are no longer registered for one reason or another. This might be a source.

Finally, the 1-35 forum is still available. It could have information that would guide you in some kind of a direction.

http://members.goldengate.net/~tmren.../sgs135new.htm

Raul Boerner
Old December 9th 18, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 10:00:05 AM UTC-7, Morris Carter wrote:
need complete canopy with frame, frame only, or plexiglass only.

Morris,

After checking my records, and keeping in mind that my 1-35 was early born, it turns out that the "modern glider canopy" came from a Zuni.

Raul Boerner
Old December 9th 18, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've seen George Applebay's setup for molding canopies.Â* Maybe Fidel
still does.Â* It wouldn't hurt to give him a call.

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 11th 18, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 6:35:48 PM UTC-8, wrote:

...it turns out that the "modern glider canopy" came from a Zuni.

[Warning: Off-topic reminiscence.]

Unlike most modern composite sailplanes, George made Zuni canopies using a free-blowing process, not the molded stretch-forming process used by the major manufacturers. As a result, it is challenging to get a consistent profile match between the canopy and the fuselage.

George's original approach to the problem of matching a free-blown transparency to a molded fuselage was actually kind of genius: He started by free-blowing an attractive looking canopy bubble, then he incorporated it into the plug that he made the Zuni fuselage molds from. That way he knew that it was at least possible to free-blow a canopy that would fit. However, the gulf between possible and practical means that some Zunis look better than others, depending on the ambient temperature in Moriarty when they were finishing up the ship.

--Bob K.
Old December 11th 18, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Calvert[_4_]

At 16:50 06 December 2018, Morris Carter wrote:
need complete canopy with frame, frame only, or plexiglass only.

You might also try LP Aero Plastics.
http://www.lpaero.com/index.html

Good luck.

Looking for a new canopy for KA-6 [email protected] Soaring 4 November 27th 17 11:27 PM
Canopy Ejection and Canopy Lanyard Casey[_2_] Soaring 6 April 12th 16 05:09 PM
Ka6 cr canopy mod. Rob Shepherd Soaring 0 October 13th 10 05:13 PM
LS-1C canopy mod Brad Soaring 4 September 14th 05 04:14 PM
K8 Canopy Jack Wyman Soaring 0 June 9th 04 08:36 PM