WAAS GPS approach question.

Old April 20th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default WAAS GPS approach question.

Hello,

I read on the Garmin page that their 480 is Waas certified...so that
you can fly precision approaches without an ILS... what does this
mean exactly? If I'm coming into an airport with only an NDB
approach, can I use the 480's capabilites to fly a precision approach
and get down to a lower MDA/DH?

-dr

Old April 20th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Hello,

I read on the Garmin page that their 480 is Waas certified...so that
you can fly precision approaches without an ILS... what does this
mean exactly? If I'm coming into an airport with only an NDB
approach, can I use the 480's capabilites to fly a precision approach
and get down to a lower MDA/DH?

It means you can use the LPV minima line on a RNAV(GPS) approach chart, and
that assuming your 480 was properly installed you can follow localizer-like
and glideslope-like needle guidance on that approach.

Old April 20th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Dico" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I read on the Garmin page that their 480 is Waas certified...so that
you can fly precision approaches without an ILS... what does this
mean exactly? If I'm coming into an airport with only an NDB
approach, can I use the 480's capabilites to fly a precision approach
and get down to a lower MDA/DH?

If the airport has only an NDB approach, how are you going to fly a GPS
approach of any sort?

Old April 20th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Can you use the 480's glideslope to guide you into a VOR approach that
is NOT GPS, but using a descent gradient that will hit the altitude at
the waypoints as charted? Same approach as flying it by hand, just a
stabilized, even descent. Hope that makes sense.

Old April 20th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Dico" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I read on the Garmin page that their 480 is Waas certified...so that
you can fly precision approaches without an ILS... what does this
mean exactly? If I'm coming into an airport with only an NDB
approach, can I use the 480's capabilites to fly a precision approach
and get down to a lower MDA/DH?

If the airport has only an NDB approach, how are you going to fly a GPS
approach of any sort?

In other words, if there isn't a published approach, you can't invent one
for your own use. It's not legal and not safe.

Old April 20th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Doug" wrote:

Can you use the 480's glideslope to guide you into a VOR approach that
is NOT GPS, but using a descent gradient that will hit the altitude at
the waypoints as charted? Same approach as flying it by hand, just a
stabilized, even descent. Hope that makes sense.

Assuming it's a VOR(GPS) approach, and not a circle to land only, Yes. The 480 provides VNAV
guidance suitable for LNAV/VNAV or if not charted, then referred to as "advisory VNAV", but basically it
works the same - you get vertical guidance to the runway.

Mike
Old April 20th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dico wrote:
If I'm coming into an airport with only an NDB
approach, can I use the 480's capabilites to fly a precision approach
and get down to a lower MDA/DH?

-dr

No.

But if you have an RNAV approach with precision/vertical guidance
component, (and I am presuming the approach lighting is up to snuff
before that type of approach chart is issued).. then you could use the
480 box to execute that approach without any ground based navaid guidance.

Dave
Old April 20th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

WAAS Approaches have vertical guidance but they
are not classified as "Precision"

Bill Hale

Old April 21st 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Officially, LPV refers to "Localizer Performance with Vertical
Guidance". Officially it's not precision, perhaps
not-so-non-precision. With horizontal and vertical accuracies in the
1-2m range, its arguably more accurate than a Cat III ILS. It does not
however,have the integrity of a Cat III. The LPV approach does indeed
have a decision altitude which currently is as low as 250ft HAT, and
the recent approval of 200' DA's will likely start showing up on
procedures next year.

Brad